Manchester United Talk banner

Giggsy To Be Rewarded?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...wht will be done, "reward" wise, as a token of appreciation for the most decorated footballer of the modern era? Well, I've been thinking and these are the ideas that have crossed my mind.

1. Retiring the number 11

I don't know about you, but I don't think this would/should be done. If Utd were in the business of retiring numbers for great players, then surely 7, 10, 16, 20 would have shouts for their retirement. Also, it would be something I would see as a mark of respect to a death of a player.

2. Building of a statue

Again, whilst this shows great honour and respect for a player(s), so many other names will spring to mind. We already have the "Holy Trinity" and along with Giggsy, I can think of ten other Manchester United related names who have calls for a statue of themselves, and Old Trafford isn't going to have countless statues dotted around Old Trafford...or wil they?

3. A Premier League trophy to keep

This is something I've just thought of and can't think of any other players all over the world this has happened. Basicall, like Liverpool got with the Champions League (Soon to be us :D), they were given the Champions League Cup to kee for winning it 5 times. I was thinking that Giggsy would be awarded a Premier League trophy of his own to keep having won it 10 times and that could rise to 11 and some would argue 12.

4. Naming of a stand

United have only got one really well known "named" stand. I'm not going to say it because if you don't know it then whats going on? A fair few clubs around have stands named after players/managers/related people. Do you think some day you could be walking to Old Trafford to sit or stand for that matter, in The Ryan Giggs Stand?

Either way I think he deserves something special. What do you think? Post other suggestions too....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'll build him a shrine at my house. :whistling:

They may build a statue of him for the museum. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Naming the youth academy after him would be a good link and permenant reminder of his achievement. I dont think they should retire the shirt, there is a lot of tradition at Utd around the shirt number, brings pride to a player wearing it, and can help shape their carear, look at the number 7 shirt at Utd, would of been a shame not to of had the Robson > Cantona > Beckham > Ronaldo link in the number 7 shirt. What an honour for whomever gets the 11 next !!

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
He will get knighted in his lifetime.

Doubt the club will do anything "big" like the ones suggested. Although, the club are good with things like this.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
I reckon something along the lines of those mentioned

Whilst you say other players deserve things too, not many other players have played 17 consecutive seasons, scoring in every league campaign, winning every trophy...

Cantona / Robson / Bruce / Irwin etc never won a champions league, let alone two...

Giggs is a special case, more so than Scholes, more so than Keane, more so than ANY of the players from the last 20 years...

Cantona retired too early, Ruud didn't have long enough, Brucie wasn't irreplaceable, Keane wasn't truly a red (love for the club-wise), Ole missed a lot of games, Becks wavered towards the end and Kleberson just misses out to Giggsy...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Naming the youth academy after him would be a good link and permenant reminder of his achievement. I dont think they should retire the shirt, there is a lot of tradition at Utd around the shirt number, brings pride to a player wearing it, and can help shape their carear, look at the number 7 shirt at Utd, would of been a shame not to of had the Robson > Cantona > Beckham > Ronaldo link in the number 7 shirt. What an honour for whomever gets the 11 next !!
Retiring the shirt is a definite no-go at United for the reason you point out.

I reckon something along the lines of those mentioned

Whilst you say other players deserve things too, not many other players have played 17 consecutive seasons, scoring in every league campaign, winning every trophy...

Cantona / Robson / Bruce / Irwin etc never won a champions league, let alone two...

Giggs is a special case, more so than Scholes, more so than Keane, more so than ANY of the players from the last 20 years...

Cantona retired too early, Ruud didn't have long enough, Brucie wasn't irreplaceable, Keane wasn't truly a red (love for the club-wise), Ole missed a lot of games, Becks wavered towards the end and Kleberson just misses out to Giggsy...
i agree with that assessment, although I think Cantona does stand close to Giggs, because it was his dash of magic that brought the league title back to United and started a glorious era for the club.

I think Giggsy could be 'added' to the holy trinity statue. To my mind he's the only one deserving of it......followed by Robson maybe.

If Wayne Rooney sees out his career at United he might fall into that category too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
He should definitely be knighted when he retires for achieving so much and being so consistent.

I think we should have a statue of Ryan Giggs as that will be a great tribute to the most succesful player in our club's glorious history.

I don't think retiring the number 11 is a good idea. After Giggs retires there will be a great sense of honour and pride for the player who'll wear the number 11.

Naming a stand after him will also be a worthy tribute but the statue would be best suited.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
A stand named after him would be good , i think he is worthy of a statue .
he is the most decorated player in the history of the game and his loyalty to united was unquestionable , i remember at one time he could have gone to any team in the world and turned down a massive offer from juventus, a total legend

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
it's hard to say really. i would like to think the club would do something great for him, but bear in mind that his retirement may coincide with the departure of arguably the greatest manager the world has ever seen. there might be a risk that while the club search for something to honour sir alex, possibly one of the things keano mentioned, they neglect to pay respect to giggsy's service to the club properly :eek:

i think we have already picked holes in the idea to retire the shirt, and as said, it would be an honour for the next winger we bring in to step into it.

in my time, nobody has shown the consistent brilliance for united that giggs has. indeed, the only player who it can be argued has done is sir bobby and he has a statue. however, bobby also survived an air crash where many of his teammates and friends died, yet still recovered to win the european cup and the world player of the year. i can't imagine giggsy getting a statue, i reckon this will be what they do for fergie.

with regard to naming a stand, i personally believe that if our stand names were to change for anything, it would be to make a bit of cash from a sponsorship.

"Air Asia South Stand" sounds a bit more likely than "Ryan Giggs Stand"

I think giving him his own league trophy is a tremendous idea and should be done. but does that not go against the other three ideas in that it's a more personal thank you, instead of doing something that united fans can see or consider every time they come to Old Trafford?

i haven't really added anything here, just thought i'd throw my opinions in. good thread keano :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading thru this thread make me sooo emotional...and Adam you are sooo spot on...For sure Sir Alex will have his statue built, that i strongly believe as for Giggsy..a name of a road perhaps??:whistling:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The statue one - deserves it to be honest, but anything but retiring the 11 shirt. I hate the idea of retiring shirts, especially a number like 11, stupid.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
Gotta be the Stand - if hammers can have moore we can have giggsy!

"And yes as fans depart from the Ryan Giggs Stand they can be pleased as Manchester United have secured their 212th Premier League Trophy"

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts

Irwin did.

But Giggs will have a statue some day. I doubt he'll have an individual one. Possibly one with Scholes and Neville.

Also possibly with Cantona and Keane - the 3 most influential players under Fergie.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
RYAN GIGGS SHIRT PLAN -Manchester United to retire No.11 when winger goes-

article from news of the world

MANCHESTER UNITED are considering retiring their No 11 shirt when Ryan Giggs finally calls it a day.

Unofficial talks have been held by the United board to commemorate the career of the most successful player in the club's history.

A United insider said: "Although people may talk of George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton, they played in an era when such moves were impossible as shirts were numbered 1-11.

"Retiring the number 11 shirt would have no complaints from many United fans - though on current form Ryan's departure looks to be quite a way off yet."

The 35-year-old Cardiff-born player has made more appearances and won more honours than any United player - and has scored in every Premier League season since its inception in 1992.

In a 19-year career span, he has won 10 league titles, four FA Cups, two Champions League titles, three League Cups, one UEFA Super Cup, one Inter Continental Cup and one World Club Cup, making him the most decorated player in English football history.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Its coming from the News of The World:rolleyes:

All for Giggsy being honoured by the club, but think about this way... If clubs started retiring shirt numbers for legendary players, there would be a severe shortage of players with 1-11:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts