Manchester United Talk banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
antdevil78 said:
Not utd related but kevin campbell, once of arsenal and everton runs his own security company providing security for celebs and events. shows modern footballers are looking at providing an income after leaving the game

Failing that they tend to run a pub!!!!
Its OK Ant, I think its interesting to hear where all the footballers end up after they retired from the game.

Are there any sad stories, about players who retires and dont have a successful career after? We know what happened to Mr Best.:(

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
United 99 champions league winning team where are they now

Looking back at the team of 99 im left to wonder where are they now if you know then lets us all know

1. Schmicheal ( tv pundit )
2. Irwin ( mutv pundit )
3. neville (still playing)
4. stam (just retired)
5. johnson ( retired but dont know what he is doing)
6. blomqvist ( retired through injury not sure what he is doing now)
7. butt (newcastle united)
8. beckham ( fc galaxy)
9. giggs ( still playing )
10. cole ( burnley fc )
11. yorke ( sunderland )

subs

sheringham ( retired )
solskear ( retired coaching )

I know where some are but if there is any info on the ex players let us all know

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Stephen said:
David May is working in wine importing, I think. African or Asian wines, not sure which.
African wines ;)

scott 4 evra said:
Irwin writes every week for the Sunday World and is on MUTV a bit as far as i know.
Denis Irwin also does Stadium tours ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
spellbound said:
Its OK Ant, I think its interesting to hear where all the footballers end up after they retired from the game.

Are there any sad stories, about players who retires and dont have a successful career after? We know what happened to Mr Best.:(
you should read Paul mcgrath's book as to what drink can do to a man.A highly intelligent man bedevilled by excessive shyness. Its a sad story with 2 divorces and a number of suciide attempts. As far as I know he is coaching kids and is involved in some sort of football director role with waterford united. his health though seems to be on the mend thank Christ:)

·
Registered
915 Posts
fazman said:
5. johnson ( retired but dont know what he is doing)
Ronny Johnsen did retire in 2005 but changed his mind & now plays for Valerenga in Norway.

Saw David May in Sainsburys near Heaton Park a few weeks back, not the first time I've met him but the first time when he was sober.

Didn't think much of him as a player but as a person he was a real (DELETED)!

Swearing removed.

-zuco-

Z

·
0 Posts
razz1979 said:
Ronny Johnsen did retire in 2005 but changed his mind & now plays for Valerenga in Norway.

Saw David May in Sainsburys near Heaton Park a few weeks back, not the first time I've met him but the first time when he was sober.

Didn't think much of him as a player but as a person he was a real (DELETED)!
Have yourself a first warning for swearing.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fergaiste said:
you should read Paul mcgrath's book as to what drink can do to a man.A highly intelligent man bedevilled by excessive shyness. Its a sad story with 2 divorces and a number of suciide attempts. As far as I know he is coaching kids and is involved in some sort of football director role with waterford united. his health though seems to be on the mend thank Christ:)
Keane's book aside, McGrath's book is easily the best autobiography I have read.
They guy was a hero of mine growing up and he was one of the best defenders
to have played the game. Had he not got caught up in the drinking culture Im
sure he would be widely regarded as one of the best ever.

The book is a great read. Some of the stories in it are terribly sad, some
incredibly funny. He sure got into some mad adventures and some very tough times.

Id recommend this book to anyone. Quality read.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Keane's book aside, McGrath's book is easily the best autobiography I have read.
They guy was a hero of mine growing up and he was one of the best defenders
to have played the game. Had he not got caught up in the drinking culture Im
sure he would be widely regarded as one of the best ever.

The book is a great read. Some of the stories in it are terribly sad, some
incredibly funny. He sure got into some mad adventures and some very tough times.

Id recommend this book to anyone. Quality read.

do you know exactly what he is doing with himself now jazz as i stand to be corrected on what I said above?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Massimo Taibi (playing, Ascoli)

Raimond Van Der Gouw (coach, Sunderland)

William Prunier (retired, reconsidered, playing, River Plate) Anyone confirm this??

Laurent Blanc (manager, Bordeaux)

Jesper Blomqvist (coach, Enkopings Sk)

Lee Sharpe (serial tv personality, Advertises baldness treatments)

Mark Robins (manager, Rotherham)

Andrei Kanchelskis (Sporting Director, FC Nosta Novotroitsk)

Karel Poborsky (coach, Czech Republic)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fergaiste said:
do you know exactly what he is doing with himself now jazz as i stand to be corrected on what I said above?
I think you are right as far as I know....although not sure if he is with
Waterford utd anymore....
He does a lot of work for foster kids charities and his health is on the up.

This is a great read about the man himself. Take the time to read it.
Its a good 'un.

I love this line in it:
"His enduring stature there is best summed up by the chant that greeted
Nelson Mandela when he visited Dublin four years ago: "Ooh, ahh, Paul McGrath's da'!"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ont-know-if-ive-had-my-last-drink-432720.html

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
A few more snippets from the McGrath interview....

Ron Atkinson says that McGrath the player was better than John Terry or any of the current crop of top central defenders, a compliment that pleases McGrath, in his resolutely modest way.

And the final paragraph is a comment from his son, Jordan, saying: "He shouldn't carry any guilt over what we've been through. Because we don't carry any burdens. He's a good dad. It's still a really, really proud feeling just to be walking down the street with him."

"I'm a friend of **** McCarthy's but during the stuff in Japan [in 2002] I came down on Roy's side. That was anyone's World Cup to win, and there was no need to send him home. If I'd been manager there's no way I would have sent Roy Keane home. Maybe five or six of the other lads."

A chuckle. "No, no, I'm joking." I wonder whether he is, entirely.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts