Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching Barcelona demolish Munich last week (and numerous other teams this season), I am starting to understand why, despite our array of great goal scorers, we just aren't scoring the way we should (5th in the league I think). With the devastating threat of Messi, Alves and Henry pulling defences wide, Barcelona's midfielders have room to roam. I don't think Xavi and Iniesta are necessarily better than Carrick and company, it's that they have space with which to manoevre.

A quick look at our team reveals a real shortage of true flank players. The best of the group, after Giggs' shift to the middle, is CR, and he plays wherever he wants on any given day. Nani would be next best but suffers from selfishness and poor decision-making. Park is obviously an atypical flank player and tends to migrate to the middle when given the chance. The same can be said for Evra moving forward, I think he must be afraid of his own left foot because I cannot remember the last time he put a good ball into the middle. Take your pick on the right from Neville, O'Shea or Brown and none are really capable of consistent service. Maybe Tosic, Fabio or Rafael will make it right but they are obviously too young to know for sure.

As a result I think mediocre teams can now defend us predictably, game in and game out, and we are therefore left to rely on our own defensive strength to get us through so many of those 1-0 games. This is fine when they are playing well, but without Brown, Hargreaves and one of Vidic/Ferdinand, we are now starting to be exposed at the back as the limitations of O'Shea & Neville become apparent, as well as the youth of Evans.

Although, like nearly everyone, I would love to keep Tevez, I am starting to feel strongly that we need to add at least one established flanking midfielder in the off season to make our game less predictable. Ashley Young would do nicely, though I think Villa would have something to say about it. I always thought Pedersen would have fit in well a few years back as well.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It`s not because mediocre teams can defend us predictably, no. It`s that we`re not on our top form, because as much as predictable we can be, on our top days no one will beat us one on one.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I certainly think our side is missing width, no question. I have mentioned several times about getting rid of Park and bringing in Young/Ribery. It's the obvious solution!

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is what I think, We win a couple of games and the players thinks we'll will win it all ... With our form and facing Porto, they must have thought it was an easy match but tomorrow will be the day we change it around .. Trust me!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
This is what i think, We win a couple of games and the players thinks will win it all ... With our form and facing Porto, they must have thought it was an easy match but tomorrow will be the day we change it around .. Trust me!
Then according to you the attitude and mentality is the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My comments regarding width had nothing to do with our current form, but rather were based on the entire season's performance. The lack of width has plagued as all year but only became a problem when our defensive play finally weakened.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
My comments regarding width had nothing to do with our current form, but rather were based on the entire season's performance. The lack of width has plagued as all year but only became a problem when our defensive play finally weakened.
That won`t last long :thumbsup:

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Actually i disagree about us not having width. This year ronaldo has played out wide the most he has done in many years. The last two seasons he was roaming everywhere and with him and rooney roaming alot more, we created alot more and had more threats in the box.

This season our main way of looking to score goals is crossing whereas last season and the season before while that was a great threat for us, we also had a cutting edge ball through the middle which imo is our biggest miss this season.

Xavi and iniesta are simply the best midfield ball players in the world, much better than carrick and they dont create more because of more space to play with, its because they have great outlets to give the ball too but moreso than that, they are the most creative players going, especially iniesta.

Carrick and co have outlets in ronaldo, rooney, tevez etc but carrick is a player who spreads the ball out wide, not someone who makes cutting edge eye of the needle passes, he never has, he never will.

So i don't exactly agree with us lacking width, if anything, we lack unpredictablity because everything is looking to come through ronaldo on the wing and people think if you cut of ronaldo, you cut of 2 thirds of uniteds threat. And with him not beating players like he used to this season and being outwide moreso than ever before, its been a struggle to create as many clear cut chances as we have in previous seasons.

He has recently started to roam around a little more though so u never know, we may see us score a few more goals during the run, i hope to see it anyway!

Interesting topic thought mate.

pz!:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fair comments. While I agree Ronaldo has been on the wing a lot this season, he seems to have been the only one, and because he is prone to roam, defences don't have to constantly worry about a wide threat. And you're right about Rooney crossing in a lot as well, but he also roams.

I guess my main comment, in retrospect, involves the wide threat from the flanking defenders, or lack thereof. Watching players like D. Alves, Maicon, Ramos, A. Cole, etc makes me realize how poor Evra (I like the rest of Evra's game however), Neville, O'Shea, Brown have been. Couple that with the pinching play of Park, the lack of Giggs out wide anymore and Nani's terrible season (did you see him last night after he came on for Berbatov??!!), we are a one man show.

Good point about Carrick, however. And you're right also about Iniesta, awesome (even if he looks like an accountant).

·
Registered
458 Posts
After watching Barcelona demolish Munich last week (and numerous other teams this season), I am starting to understand why, despite our array of great goal scorers, we just aren't scoring the way we should (5th in the league I think). With the devastating threat of Messi, Alves and Henry pulling defences wide, Barcelona's midfielders have room to roam. I don't think Xavi and Iniesta are necessarily better than Carrick and company, it's that they have space with which to manoevre.

A quick look at our team reveals a real shortage of true flank players. The best of the group, after Giggs' shift to the middle, is CR, and he plays wherever he wants on any given day. Nani would be next best but suffers from selfishness and poor decision-making. Park is obviously an atypical flank player and tends to migrate to the middle when given the chance. The same can be said for Evra moving forward, I think he must be afraid of his own left foot because I cannot remember the last time he put a good ball into the middle. Take your pick on the right from Neville, O'Shea or Brown and none are really capable of consistent service. Maybe Tosic, Fabio or Rafael will make it right but they are obviously too young to know for sure.

As a result I think mediocre teams can now defend us predictably, game in and game out, and we are therefore left to rely on our own defensive strength to get us through so many of those 1-0 games. This is fine when they are playing well, but without Brown, Hargreaves and one of Vidic/Ferdinand, we are now starting to be exposed at the back as the limitations of O'Shea & Neville become apparent, as well as the youth of Evans.

Although, like nearly everyone, I would love to keep Tevez, I am starting to feel strongly that we need to add at least one established flanking midfielder in the off season to make our game less predictable. Ashley Young would do nicely, though I think Villa would have something to say about it. I always thought Pedersen would have fit in well a few years back as well.
Let me say only one thing, Barsa is going to lose against Chelsea, and once again we r going to watch ManUtd VS Chelski in the finale.
When you talk about RB Brown is very good there, and also Tosic playes on the left side as CLM.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I certainly think our side is missing width, no question. I have mentioned several times about getting rid of Park and bringing in Young/Ribery. It's the obvious solution!
Park does a specific job, Young and Ribery are talented players but our system (or the system we use when Park is on the field) would need to be changed to accomodate them... it all spans down to Giggs and Scholes not having the legs and Ronaldo not expected to work... some1 else needs to do the running... if Anderson can hold down a starting position along with possibly Hargreaves next season... there would be room to revert back to having two out and out wide men!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Let me say only one thing, Barsa is going to lose against Chelsea, and once again we r going to watch ManUtd VS Chelski in the finale.
When you talk about RB Brown is very good there, and also Tosic playes on the left side as CLM.
Tosic is a left winger...

We have to get to the final 1st as do Barca, I wouldn't call anything yet! really looking forward to the semi's!!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Whilsat watching Barca,did you notice : Eto'o,Henry,Messi,Iniesta,Xavi ???

Forget width,thats just class.
very good point mate.
the flankers are needed more when you have got a good centre forward in the box all the time like rvn , but the way we are playing at the moment iis it really required , berbatov spends more time outside the box than in it .
barca are a good example of accomodating all your stars up front together , great players can play with anyone any where , maybe we should follow suit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts