Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last day or two, people have been complaining about the problems and the lack of personnel throughout the team, so I decided to have a look at some of the weaknesses that I notice within the side...

I think the one area where we are really lacking at the moment is Centre Midfield. A month or two ago everything was rosy with Carrick, Giggs and Fletcher all performing at their optimum. But now their performances have dropped, so has the team as a whole, quite simply beacause centre midfielders are the most important part of all teams. Look at Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. They all have centre midfielders who are enforcers and stamp their authority on games... Liverpool have Gerrard and Mascherano, Chelsea have Lampard and Essien and Arsenal have the little genius, which is Cesc Fabregas. Having witnessed 2 shambolic performances against the Dippers and Fulham and yet again last night, I have finally realised that Centre Midfield is certainly our weakness.

No bite , no creativity, no ballwinner and most importantly no enforcer. Yes on his day Fletcher can do it and Hargreaves can too, but we all know what his story is.... So for next summer who should we sign for that position. IN my opinion, Gareth Barry would be an absolute magnificent addition to the centre of midfield, if he could be got for less than 15 million... Other than him, I don't really see who else could do that job for us, but I'm sure, with our network of scouts, someone would eventually appear on our radar.

The other weak area.... Well it's obvious isn't it? We didn't need a toothless performance from Park last night to tell us all that a real natural, direct winger is needed, who is consistent and has a good delivery. Unfortunately, neither Park nor Nani fit that bill.... A name that has cropped up more than once is Antonio Valencia of Wigan. From what I've seen of he is certainly a handful and on his day can cause a lot of fulbacks a problem or two... Just look at his performance at Old Trafford earlier on in the year, he was the one main threat they actually posed... However, like Nani I would question whether or not he has the consistency to be that world class winger that us fans really crave.... And his price tag would also raise quite a few questions, with the figure of £18 million being mooted by several papers. So, I do seriously think, his addition should be avoided, unless other targets can be signed.

The number one winger on my list would certainly be Bayern star- Franck Ribery. He's got everything I think, pace, quality delivery, goal-scoring ability and leadership also. Another good factor is he is only 25 and his contract is up in 2010, which means he should command a much smaller transfer fee than his actual true value. Definitely worth 20 million quid in my opinion. Other names mentioned have been Alexis Sanchez and Ashley Young... I haven't seen loads of Sanchez, but I have noticed his trickery and ability to take on defenders. However his height could pose him a potential in the Premiership. Ashley Young would be a far better option no doubt, he like Ribery has the whole package.... Pace, Good delivery and consistency...

So, who should we consider next summer.... Certainly a midfield general.... Along the lines of Gareth Barry and perhaps a world class winger, either Ashley Young or Franck Ribery would certainly fit the bill.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Quite similar to recent posts of my own and of Peterswellman. I agree completely with what you say. Good post.

·
Registered
542 Posts
a right back that can actually join in an attack. a professional quality holding midfielder similar to toure or senna.

a new goalkeeper in future perhaps(e.g sergio asenjo)). a strike force that compliments each other.

considerrations:

gk:sergio asenjo
striker:david villa
right back: rafael a chance
holding midfielder: hargreaves if that doesent work someone eles.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a right back that can actually join in an attack. a professional quality holding midfielder similar to toure or senna.

a new goalkeeper in future perhaps(e.g sergio asenjo)). a strike force that compliments each other.

considerrations:

gk:sergio asenjo
striker:david villa
right back: rafael a chance
holding midfielder: hargreaves if that doesent work someone eles.
Good luck with Asenjo, maybe in Football manager...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
1. a FIT Owen Hargreaves
2. A left winger
3. A clinical striker
4. A more determined and team-orientated Cristiano Ronaldo
5. A more consistent Wayne Rooney (in the finishing department)
6. A fit Wes Brown
7. Ben Foster in goal playing like in the CC final every game

Usually I'd also ask for a creative attacking midfileder, but if we get the left winger I'm thinking of the problem would be solved because he could cut in from the left and do some damage

Rooney - Benzema

Ribery - Hargreaves - Carrick - Ronaldo

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Brown

Foster​

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Our midfield looks really weak. If a team can pass the ball they go straight throug us at the moment. The defence also isn't closing down enogh we cant handle teams who attack us. Since the Newcastle game we have been really poor in both midfield and defence

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
after seeying the past two games I would have to say defensive cover is also needed, you look at rio, vidic, and evra as the unconditional stars of our defence, at Right back I guess it would be brown who Im not a fan of but at least he is solid. Other than that we have as backups an aging Neville who clearly cannot handle playing fullback anymore and is too short to be slotted in at center back, John oshea who has been awful these past two games, the only bright spots might be the da silva twins and johnny evans who still lack experience though. Seeying the liverpool-chelsea game today I was reminded of how gutted I was that we didnt go for ivanovic who in my opinion would have done wonders for our squad with his versatility. I think a player like Miguel Veloso would be perfect as he fits the bill of the versatile defender that can play all across the back four.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
This would make us unbeatable IMO.

---------------------------------VDS--------------------------------

--Brown------------Rio-------------------Vidic--------------Evra--

---------------Hargreaves---------------Carrick-------------------
------------------------------Anderson-----------------------------

--Ronaldo--------------------------------------------------Rooney--

------------------------------Benzema?-----------------------------

The reason I think that would be our best formation is because we don't have to change that for anyone. Carrick and Hargreaves compliment eachother in loys of ways. Anderson can bomb forward without his lack of positional sense getting exposed. Rooney and Ronaldo don't have to worry about defending - they have free roles.

But we need big, fast striker for it. Right now it wouldn't work as Berbatov's lack of pace will leave him isolated while Rooney isn't not right for that position. 4-4-2 is the way to go with the current squad, but I do think if we get a top striker then it would be perfect.

The annoying thing is Saha was PERFECT for this role.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts

The reason I think that would be our best formation is because we don't have to change that for anyone. Carrick and Hargreaves compliment eachother in loys of ways. Anderson can bomb forward without his lack of positional sense getting exposed. Rooney and Ronaldo don't have to worry about defending - they have free roles.

But we need big, fast striker for it. Right now it wouldn't work as Berbatov's lack of pace will leave him isolated while Rooney isn't not right for that position. 4-4-2 is the way to go with the current squad, but I do think if we get a top striker then it would be perfect.

Putting all your eggs in the Anderson basket. You want him to be the support striker as such yet he cant shoot for shit. He is better as a DM than anything. He gets the plays going with his bursts and quick passing, but he is shocking in the final 3rd. If you are putting Benzema in your dream team, ya may as well get someone for Anderson.

My realistic dream team:

--------------------Vds-------------------------

Brown/Raf-----Rio---------Vidic------------Evra

Ronaldo-------Hargreaves-----Carrick------Ribery

--------Berbatov-------------Rooney-------

to rotate with another striker (Benzema, Villa) who will take Tevez's place.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
If I'm going to pick a dream team to go into next season with, It'd be something like this:

Formation 1

---------------------Van Der Sar

Rafael---------Ferdinand---------Vidic----------Evra

---------------Hargreaves-------Carrick
Ronaldo---------------------------------------Ribery

-----------------Benzema-------Rooney

Obviously Rio and Vidic pick themselves, the rock at the back of the team. Then I'd go with Rafael and Evra bombing down the flanks, plenty of pace.

You would have Hargreaves Mopping everything up in midfield, while Carricks positioning should also provide some solidarity next to him, hoepfully Hargreaves' defensive work would allow Carrick to get forward and get creative.

On the flanks, Ronaldo and (potential signing) Ribery, to swap flanks and cause havoc, with Rooney dropping deep from upfront to control things while Benzema works the front line.

Formation 2

---------------------Van Der Sar

Rafael---------Ferdinand---------Vidic----------Evra

------------Hargreaves-----------Carrick
-------------------------Giggs
Ronaldo---------------------------------------Rooney
------------------------Benzema

Similar to Barcelona's style. Would allow Giggs to impact the game, without having to look after the middle of the park on his own. The front 3 would be constantly changing positions, and causing havoc with their pace and flair.

Could be beautiful.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Putting all your eggs in the Anderson basket. You want him to be the support striker as such yet he cant shoot for shit. He is better as a DM than anything. He gets the plays going with his bursts and quick passing, but he is shocking in the final 3rd. If you are putting Benzema in your dream team, ya may as well get someone for Anderson.

My realistic dream team:

--------------------Vds-------------------------

Brown/Raf-----Rio---------Vidic------------Evra

Ronaldo-------Hargreaves-----Carrick------Ribery

--------Berbatov-------------Rooney-------

to rotate with another striker (Benzema, Villa) who will take Tevez's place.
Anderson is at his best when he is making his surging runs with the ball (remember the impact at the Carling Cup final).

Putting him as a DM is a waste IMO. He has never played well there. The 2 games where he did ok (Arsenal and Liverpool last season) we couldn't get any possession.

Anderson can't play in a 2 man midfield. His off the ball movement is shocking. You watch Scholes and Carrick when they're together and you'll find that when one has the ball, he has 2 options:

1. Look for a through ball.
2. Pass it to his partner.

When Andersons playing you can't pass it to him as he is always marked. His spacial awareness is shocking. That makes his partner's job even harder as he has no one to pass to, therefore taking longer on the ball, slowing down our attack or just leaving his partner with no choice but to go for a killer ball from the half way line.

However, putting him in a 3 man midfield, as the attacking player, is perfect. We saw this vs Arsenal in the FA Cup where he had a passer and a workhorse as partners (Carrick and Fletcher).

An Attacking Midfielder isn't a support striker. He starts in similar positions to Carrick and Hargreaves, but he has liscence to run with the ball, or to run into the box. A supporting striker is someone who stays around the area just behind the striker. Its like comparing Lampard to Rooney (for England).

I'm not so woried about his shooting. That can improve. He's already improved a lot this year. Last year 95% of his shots went in row z. This season most of his shots are on target, even if they aren't threatening. Plenty of players are late developers in this regard. Henry was hopeless at finishing for a long time, now look how good he is.

Anderson's passing is exactly like Gerrards. Its something I've been looking at. He does them for the striker to run on to. Take Gerrard for example. For England he over hits tons of passes. Yet for Liverpool, they are great passes for Torres. Why? Because through balls are far more effective when your striker is fast enough to actually get to the ball. You thread a ball to Tevez - odds are the defender will get there first. Rooney, although quick, isn't lightening either. Berbatov also. A good example is when Anderson came on against Wigan last year. His through balls to Ronaldo were simply stunning. Remember the goal vs West Ham this season where Berbatov did that sublime peice of skill? Anderson threaded a through ball to Berba - who was too slow and only just got to it at the byline. Now ofcourse we all know what happened next, but most of the time that won't work.

In Brazil people are very worried by the way in which we are treating him positionally. As a DM he has been nothing short of shocking for them. So much so that he has been dropped for a lot of games. When he played for Porto, albeit for a short period of time, he played in the same role that Henry currently plays for Barca - an attacking left sided player. He excelled at it.

Thats why I've said numerous times that Eto'o is my dream signing. He is inch perfect for the style that I feel is best for us. Villa is my next choice. Fast as hell and is an awesome finisher. He would force us to play our football on the ground aswell. Eto'o would alow us the good old hoof now and again.

Unfortunately we won't get Eto'o as he is a bit of a trouble maker. However he only has 1 year left on his contract I think. Villa is another one who we don't seem to be intersted in either.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Here's my solution and my dream United team. I say dream, but I'm keeping it realistic. I don't see us signing Benzema, Ribery or Villa.

Sign Gareth Barry: This'll be a risk, which I'm pretty confident will come off. Before you start questioning whetherh he's United quality, remember Carrick. Barry will cost around 16-20 million, and that's paying over for him, I know that. My thinking here is that Carrick needs a sustainable partner. Fletcher isn't this player. He isn't consistent enough. Hargreaves isn't either, IMO~! YES, I HAVE AN OPINION THAT HARGREAVES ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH~! OMG~! And Anderson, well, I think it's obvious he isn't that player. Instead of finding a playmaker in the mold of Scholes, we simply give Carrick a more attacking role. Maybe it's too late in his career for him to become an attacking player, but he is the only player in the world - within our reach - who can pass like Scholes, and this season he has been getting forward a lot more. If we can give him the freedom, he can definitely be a 5-10 goal a season midfielder, which we're crying out for. So Barry fits in beside Carrick, and plays in that hole infront of the defence. It's a realistic signing. He's not the best player in the world, but can do the job. He plays it simple; that's enough sometimes. Ask Keane.

Appoint a new captain: Something that has to happen within this year. I'm not writing off Neville, but he's lost a bit of pace, he's not very good at reading the game anymore, and in terms of right-backs, for me, he's fourth, behind not only Brown, but Rafael and O'Shea! The candidates for captains are then Ferdinand, Vidic and Rooney. Rooney - too young, not enough experience, and I don't think he knows how to use his influence on the team in a positive way. Ferdinand likewise, I see him shouting a lot, but it has little effect. He loses it when we go behind and runs up to the referee screaming, something I never see the final candidate do; Nemanja Vidic. Slap the arm-band on the guy! He hasn't been here long, and he'll become only our second captain not to be from the UK or Ireland, but we've had a history of putting our arm-band on our most influential player (duh), and that is now Vidic. You only have to look at the way Evans has progressed playing alongside him.

So, our team:

van der Sar
Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
Carrick, Barry, Scholes*
Ronaldo, Berbatov, Rooney

Simple, but this system could work. Brown obviously has to find fitness. I don't know what's going on with him this season. It's not that he's injured, but we've had very little update on his condition. Scholes is obviously not essential to this team. He's probably my all-time favourite player, but he's been hit and miss this season, mostly miss if I'm honest. He needs to assume a Giggs-like sparodic role. He could rotate with Anderson, Giggs, Park, whoever, and it wouldn't effect this line-up much.

That's how I roll.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

I dont think so about Berbatov,because some problems experienced last games coincides with Berbatov absent at first.
Other reason is unbelieveble quantity of rough mistakes by midfielders . Against Inter 3 of some dangerous inter attack had ,,started" from Scholes . Similar mistakes were punished against Porto.
I am absolutely agree with You that 4-4-2 was the way to go with current squad,because in few games started with only one striker the situation was no so good.
Mosltly of people can says ,, Because of Berbatov or Tevez or somebody else ",(but that is the pointless because Berbatov showed in Totthenham that he knows how to play alone and with any partners.....) .

The style of Man Untd is a specific . Mostly of teams have prolific wingers with a lot of precise cross balls supplied from left and right zones not only from corners and free kicks.

This season the Man Untd compensates lack of good crossed balls by ball control at areas before the box where Berba had some important role and in Game against Villa - Macheda .

In long term future at least 3 midfielders must join the team. Rybery looks OK for the left flank and Luiz Suarez from Ajaks, Raffael from Herta Berlin and ELANO from Citeh could be no so bad variants for player behind the strikers in the centre.
(Pirlo ,Toti ,Seedorf, Iniesta,Xabi ,Kaka are unsealistic transfers :rolleyes:)
Man Untd needs more creativity and preciseness in the midfield ,then strikers as Benzema or Saha.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
We need a big old african in midfield to kick the shit out of people.

Also, we need a decent ******* striker, get Tevez out hes just a ******* donkey.

If the chance comes up I'd love us to snap up a quality right back, but he has to be good, theres no point in paying money for someone who cant match the defensive qualities of Brown/O'Shea or the attacking qualities of Rafael.

Z

·
0 Posts
Can you not see what tevez has contributed to us ? Hes an absouloute workhorse gives 100% evreytime i will cry if he leaves i love him. whos that man from argentina . .
Get your tissues out mate.

Alan Smith was a workhorse but it's no good if you haven't got the quality too. Tevez simply isn't worth the figures being quoted.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Can you not see what tevez has contributed to us ? Hes an absouloute workhorse gives 100% evreytime i will cry if he leaves i love him. whos that man from argentina . .
Yes he gives 100%, but its not enough. And I have to say, if he was going to be staying permanently we would have wrapped it up by now.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :specool:

1 - 20 of 117 Posts