Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last day or two, people have been complaining about the problems and the lack of personnel throughout the team, so I decided to have a look at some of the weaknesses that I notice within the side...

I think the one area where we are really lacking at the moment is Centre Midfield. A month or two ago everything was rosy with Carrick, Giggs and Fletcher all performing at their optimum. But now their performances have dropped, so has the team as a whole, quite simply beacause centre midfielders are the most important part of all teams. Look at Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. They all have centre midfielders who are enforcers and stamp their authority on games... Liverpool have Gerrard and Mascherano, Chelsea have Lampard and Essien and Arsenal have the little genius, which is Cesc Fabregas. Having witnessed 2 shambolic performances against the Dippers and Fulham and yet again last night, I have finally realised that Centre Midfield is certainly our weakness.

No bite , no creativity, no ballwinner and most importantly no enforcer. Yes on his day Fletcher can do it and Hargreaves can too, but we all know what his story is.... So for next summer who should we sign for that position. IN my opinion, Gareth Barry would be an absolute magnificent addition to the centre of midfield, if he could be got for less than 15 million... Other than him, I don't really see who else could do that job for us, but I'm sure, with our network of scouts, someone would eventually appear on our radar.

The other weak area.... Well it's obvious isn't it? We didn't need a toothless performance from Park last night to tell us all that a real natural, direct winger is needed, who is consistent and has a good delivery. Unfortunately, neither Park nor Nani fit that bill.... A name that has cropped up more than once is Antonio Valencia of Wigan. From what I've seen of he is certainly a handful and on his day can cause a lot of fulbacks a problem or two... Just look at his performance at Old Trafford earlier on in the year, he was the one main threat they actually posed... However, like Nani I would question whether or not he has the consistency to be that world class winger that us fans really crave.... And his price tag would also raise quite a few questions, with the figure of £18 million being mooted by several papers. So, I do seriously think, his addition should be avoided, unless other targets can be signed.

The number one winger on my list would certainly be Bayern star- Franck Ribery. He's got everything I think, pace, quality delivery, goal-scoring ability and leadership also. Another good factor is he is only 25 and his contract is up in 2010, which means he should command a much smaller transfer fee than his actual true value. Definitely worth 20 million quid in my opinion. Other names mentioned have been Alexis Sanchez and Ashley Young... I haven't seen loads of Sanchez, but I have noticed his trickery and ability to take on defenders. However his height could pose him a potential in the Premiership. Ashley Young would be a far better option no doubt, he like Ribery has the whole package.... Pace, Good delivery and consistency...

So, who should we consider next summer.... Certainly a midfield general.... Along the lines of Gareth Barry and perhaps a world class winger, either Ashley Young or Franck Ribery would certainly fit the bill.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a right back that can actually join in an attack. a professional quality holding midfielder similar to toure or senna.

a new goalkeeper in future perhaps(e.g sergio asenjo)). a strike force that compliments each other.

considerrations:

gk:sergio asenjo
striker:david villa
right back: rafael a chance
holding midfielder: hargreaves if that doesent work someone eles.
Good luck with Asenjo, maybe in Football manager...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.