Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
^^^^sorry to hear about your mate Sweet fa. Im sure he was looking down
at this years triumph along with the Busby Babes.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Where were you when we won the Treble?

When We won the Treble Me and my family(without Dad Cause he stayed to be With UCK to war Serbians) were Running Away from home and pleasing For A litle Love From God to save us From massacre from Serbs..

But I had a litle Radio and I was Listening to BBC...
I really was so happy When Solskjaer Secured Us the Cup..

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
^^^^sorry to hear about your mate Sweet fa. Im sure he was looking down
at this years triumph along with the Busby Babes.
at his funeral his family said to wear foofball shirts , and a number of the local liverpool fans {down in south wales} who we always took the mickey out of ,went and bought utd shirts and wore them for him .a very nice touch by the guys and one that i will always remember some things are far more important than football rivalries and we should all remember that instead of shouting abuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was...watching telly!

Oh bugger. I feel like I'm a 12-yr old boy again when I tell my friends this. I'll never forget that moment.

I woke up really early that morning, around 3am Manila Time (May 26, 1999), and I turned on the telly to watch some MTV. But the show at that time was pretty boring so I browsed around our newly-set up cable TV set, and voila! I was watching another Champions League game. Before, I was keen on watching other teams like Ajax or the national squads like France or Brazil so I'd understand football better, aside from playing it in my PS1. But when the game started, I remember the Filipino VO said: You are now watching the UEFA Champions League Final match, Man Utd vs. Bayern Munich. At that time I thought I'll have the opportunity to speak with players who speak English, so I sided with Man Utd. Until now I never regretted that decision, although I am yet to visit Manchester in my lifetime.

All I can remember before Youtube came were the goals and the near-chances. Big Pete making crucial saves, the Germans hitting the post...but the memorable thing for me that still etched in my mind and heart were the players in Red. They kept on going, kept on fighting for that elusive goal. Even though they were down, they were never out of it. Then the 90th minute came, and all the pushing finally came to fruition. I may know a little about the technical side of the game at that time, but I was crying already, thinking it was their only chance of winning. Suddenly, our commentator shouted: SHERINGHAM! I cried even more when it said that there were already 2 mins away from extended time. I remember saying with praying hands: Please, one more. I stopped eating my cookies while watching; all senses were for the game. Then it happened.

DIYOS KO, TAPOS NA! PANALO NA SILA! (Tagalog-Filipino translation: OH MY GOD, IT'S OVER! THEY'VE WON IT!)

This culy-haired lad whose name I struggled to pronounce, now singing "You are my Solskjaer" when there's a Utd game, stabbed the ball into space. Their opponents were stunned, Man Utd were celebrating as if there was no tomorrow. I couldn't believe it! An English team have won over the Germans! I cried so hard my eyes turned red like their shirt! But it was tears of joy and affirmation for me. I said to myself: From now on, I am a Manchester United Football Club fan! That morning I immediately slept 'cos my mum wouldn't want me to watch TV so early, but was the best morning I ever had. Seeing the eared trophy being held by the hands of those who fought and never gave up 'til the end made me really happy...and I never forgot it.

Thanks to Youtube and Man Utd streams, I now have a clear view of what really happened during that time, and between the years they won the Treble and the Euro Double, I brushed up the club's rich history. To my surprise, they ARE the biggest club in the world! (No offense, Real Madrid fans). I needed some explanation of how and why they won the title, and how they play their game, hoping it could help me understand football better. Luck is never enough to win games, even if you need one to win. There are other teams that won the trophy more times, but for United? It's not only luck, but also (based on the internet archives and my constant viewership and support) their never-say-die attitude. The club knows how to regenerate. They know how to pick themselves up, even after a tragedy (peace to those who died in Munich) or during a transitional period (in my time, 2004-2005 was the worst season ever, but I still sang their songs even if my friends think I'm the most foolish sports fan in the country). :mad:

Until now I'm still reflecting those two Euro Finals that I was able to watch: 1999 and 2008. Now that i'm 22 and just celebrated my 9-yr old fanhood, I'm thinking of getting a litmus test whether I'm a genuine Man Utd fan or not. Maybe the dreaded relegation, Sir Alex's retirement or the financial incapability to go to Manchester would test me, but nevermind. I may not wear their shirts everyday, or enduring ridicule I get from my peers for being too much passionate about football, but what matters is that at the back of my head, I can always say: They ARE missing half of their lives. For me, Manchester United made me into a more inspired fan. And about those balmy nights in Barcelona and Moscow? well, I will always be a happy child watching the best game of my life knowing my beloved team will always be there to inspire all of us to glory. :D :)

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I was 7 years old back then, watching the game at home !! But I still remem,ber that game... I was crying during the last 5 minutes or so...and then when Teddy scored the equaliser I went insane ..But Ole's goal, the magic moment...I brought down the roof I was screaming so loud !!

What a night .. One of the best so far :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was 7 at the time and I remember that it was a season when I became Man Utd fan... games against Juve and Bayern were magic :cool:

Actually I don't remember where were I but probably in a living room watching game with a father.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was in a local pub watching the match, gutted I couldnt get a ticket. Booked a week off work and everything :(

When Teddy scored all the drinks went all over the place we were cheering that much, we was still celebrating when Ole scored, I was that wasted that I thought it was a replay of the 1st goal. I was waiting for extra time not realising it was 2-1. Doh! :eek:

"They don't know what's hit them, MANCHESTER'S HIT THEM"

41 - 49 of 49 Posts