Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a United supporter of nearly 30 years I have some great memories supporting United but it wasn't always like that . Growing up in the 70's and 80's we had very few good times .
Losing that 10 point lead in the 85 season when we started off winning 10 in a row was always a hard one to swallow.
Rotterdam was another great night beating Barcelona.
I always remember listening to BBC's 5 live when Brucie scored those two famous late goals against Sheff Weds on the radio in my mams kitchen , pure heaven . Sure enough , open to opinion on this , but maybe that was topped by that faithful night in Barcelona or Moscow. By then football on tv was everywhere so we could see the fantastic scenes unfold in front of our eyes , if you weren't lucky enough to be there.
What is your favourite memory of United's success over your time as a United supporter .

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
first trophy they won while i was a supporter. 1990 FA Cup Final and fergie's first

remember that for 1st game being a classic with battle between Ian Wright and Mark Hughes. 2nd game for Les Sealey and cementing himself in United's Legend bracket

Anyone remember him shouting "I CAN'T SEE!!!!!"

·
Registered
590 Posts
One of my favourite memories with United happened just over two months ago as United wrapped up the League title again.

It was 11th May 2008, the day we clinched our 17th League Championship. It was always going to be a nerv wrecking day with Chelsea only trailing United on goal difference.

The day didn't start off as well as it could have as I arrived in Wigan ticketless. After walking round looking for a decent pub to watch the game in, we bumped into a tout who quoted me a ticket at £350 each! As you can imagine we told him what to do.

We finally found a decent pub and I was just about to grab a pint when I read a sign saying the game wouldn't be shown here :mad:

So the search continued until we found a nice hot spot round the corner from the ground. Nice little pub, packed full of reds and Sky Sports 1 ready to go :D. Even though it took at least 20 minutes to get served each time you went to the bar, and the fact that they had ran out of pint glasses I was still having a good time. Darren Campbell was in there as well enjoying some banter with a few other reds as well as a pint of Guinness.

So a few pints later and about half an hour to kick off, I was sent back to the car to grab my flag to 'give the pub a bit of United colour'. So I jogged it back to the car, pulled out my flag and walked back to the pub ready to see the lads bring home the Premiership. But when I was about 100 yards from the pub, disaster struck.

Streams of blokes were coming out of the pub not looking best pleased. When I got back inside, the fuses had blown and we had no electricity and to top it all off, they couldn't even pull a pint :mad:

Luckily after 10/15 minutes of work everything was back up running again, and the pub was full again just in time for kick off.

The game itself was nerv wrecking and it was sheer relief when Ronaldo opened the scoring from the spot. And when Giggsy scored the second we knew the title was staying put in Manchester.

This was the point when the pub emptied again with everyone sprinting towards the JJB. Outside the ground there was singing, dancing and partying. Everyone was having one hell of a party until suddenly there was a sudden serge of bodies going flying past. One eagle-eyed bloke had spotted an exit door that was half open.

It's fairly obvious what happened next and credit to everyone who was there. What a quality away day, even if we did watch most of it in the pub.

I met some top lads that day who helped make it a great experiance.

Officially there were around 4 000 United fans inside the JJB watching United lift the Premiership, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out there were a lot more than that.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
my fav. moment is when teddy scored that late goal versus bayern
i was sitting with my family watching the match with tears in my eyes (cuz i though we were about to lose) i was making the cross mark and then teddy scored a goal and i started jumping around the house and yelling out load
i couldn't believe my eyes
what a goal it was and what a time it was
i will never forget this moment and i will never forget that match :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I remember my first game was the 6-1 thrashing of Arsenal. I was unaware that they showed EPL matches back in india that time. At the end of the match i realised that Arsenal were the second best team. I still remember the slick passing in the game.

Love it till date. Have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALY0kbJWzs

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Funnily enough a few of my fave memories are from seasons where we didnt do all so well, obviously the treble and last season are big highlights but a few games always stick in my mind that made me feel really excited and happy (a lot have to do with beating Arsenal!!)

Beating Arsenal in the FA Cup in 99, excellent game and you new it was going to be a special year

Ending Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run,.. showing them who's boss

Ole Solskjaer scoring at the begining of 06/07 against Charlton, and Chelsea being held against 'Boro! I watched that in Prague in an Irish pub packed full of United fans,

Rooney scoring the wonder goal against Newcastle, I was at the game

Ryan Giggs scoring against Wigan this year

The United Milan 1st leg from 06/07, again I was at the game and have never been as excited at a football game in my life!

I'm sure there are many other older one's like Cantona's return etc! but these came into my head this morning!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
dublin red said:
What is your favourite memory of United's success over your time as a United supporter .
Difficult, as there are so many:

Juve SF 99 Away
Eric
Being at Wembley (77) when we beat Liverpool 2-1
Wembley 1968
Watching Best

so many

·
Registered
29 Posts
i must say theres been so many in the last 10 or so years that stand out but especially the 99 fa cup semi against arsenal there was so may twists through out the match and giggs winning it for us just topped it all off, what a great game. Also, the roma match when we beat them 7-1 was one of the best games i have been to and one i will never forget.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Juve away 1999.
Arsenal cup semi 1999.

Apart from 1999, it probably has to be either the champions league win this year after 50 years of Munich, or getting the title back after a few years without, and everyone - even United fans - writing Fergie and the lads off.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
cantona winning us the fa cup v the scousers was immense, the rest just obvious ones, juve away 99, barca 99, beating spurs 2-1 in the treble winning season (beckham and cole), moscow 08 is deffo up there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts