Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we rate the SPL really ?

My main question is which SPL players could make the leap and make a impact in the English premier league?

Having noticed Samaras is a top player up there it has made me realise what a poor league it is.

Add to that Kris Boyd is being linked to championship sides does this mean even the Old Firm teams are falling well behind even the lower premier league sides ?

In my opinion the current Celtic team would be a mid table team but Rangers would be relegated from our league as for the rest Id say championship at best .

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Don't know much about the SPL. Although, i think Scott Brown would make a decent midfielder for a team outside the top six.

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
Apart from Celtic and Rangers, who I really think would be fighting a relegation if they were in the Premiership, the rest would be best fitted to League one, they really are that level.

Aiden Mcgeady looks like he has some good potential, but I said that about Liam Miller.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i am very sceptical about the quality of the SPL and have doubts about any player making the transition down south...been that way for the best part of a decade now i think. who remebers the good old days, me personally the '70s and '80s when there were world class scotts throughout the top division down here in england.
its a sad demise really, from having a group of top players who were truly class to now having a league full of mediocre players at best.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scottsati said:
i am very sceptical about the quality of the SPL and have doubts about any player making the transition down south...been that way for the best part of a decade now i think. who remebers the good old days, me personally the '70s and '80s when there were world class scotts throughout the top division down here in england.
its a sad demise really, from having a group of top players who were truly class to now having a league full of mediocre players at best.

The problem they have is that have flooded there league with poor overseas imports.

Hearts are full of poor Lithunians as for Rangers and Celtic they seems to be just picking up Premiership failures its sad really .

To think Hendrik Larsson wasted a decade in such a poor league when he had so much talent.

I agree with someone elses post Scott Brown is there best player in my opinion.

Here are some flops who have gone up there

George samaras
Chris sutton
John Hartson
Thomas Graveson
Steven Davies
Michael Ball
Jiranek

Thats few off the top of my head all failed at former clubs and moved up there to see out there careers in Scottish easy life.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i find the SPL an embarassment now and i think some players from the premier league see it as easy pickings, the flops you listed dave who went up there are all players who i have had a go at in the past for not making it here, the quality in the spl is now so substandard i don't know what can be done. we have tried having a few scottish lads down here but apart from fletch they haven't come off.

do you think the much talked about league that they talked about with dutch and other clubs would be a good idea?? i think it would raise the profile and standard and cash in the game beyon belief, from a traditionalist point of view such as mine it would be the beginning of the end to allow teams to compete in cross national leagues.
that got knocked on the head so they need another solution - and fast.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a joint league would be crap for the fans !!

Traveling is bad enough as its but having to pay for flights everyother week would kill it.

I know some follow there teams in european competition but thats alot different from 19 away league games isnt it.

John hartson was a joke he was carrying around 3 stone of excess weight up in Scotland and still was top scorer.

Fletcher big Duncan Ferguson are about the best they have had down here since Brian MCclar .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
red dave said:
I think a joint league would be crap for the fans !!

Traveling is bad enough as its but having to pay for flights everyother week would kill it.

I know some follow there teams in european competition but thats alot different from 19 away league games isnt it.

John hartson was a joke he was carrying around 3 stone of excess weight up in Scotland and still was top scorer.

Fletcher big Duncan Ferguson are about the best they have had down here since Brian MCclar .
can't beat choccy!!! to be fair though the irony is in the '70's and '80's scots produced some great talent all over the pitch....dalglish, souness,jordan,gray,gemmill,miller,strachan,mcstay,hansen,mcgrain to mention a few but most of them played out of scotland in england( and later italy) and as a national team they were massive underacheivers. so they had all that talent back then and for the most part they left when they could go south and the national team was still qualifying for tournaments, just getting knocked out first round everytime

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Henrik Larsson spent most of his career there & he was still world class in every sense.

Before this season I would've also said Boruc is world class but he's let himself go a bit lately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts