Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just answered this question on one of the Yahoo Answers pages. I thought it would make a good thread here. Here was my answer for the Yahoo Answers page:

1. Frank Ribery
2. Camoranesi
3. Michael Carrick
4. Martin Petrov
5. Robinho

Honorable Mentions:

Lionel Messi: If he wasn't injured for almost the whole season he'd be on the list.

Alexander Hleb: Wonderful pace and presence. Times his runs well, especially in the box.

Paul Scholes: Getting older now but still a visionary.

Andrea Pirlo: Milan have underperformed meaning he hasn't had a chance to shine otherwise he'd be on the list.

Francesc Fabregas: A fantastic player but needs to add more grit to his performances. Grit is lees important in a winger yet even Hleb has more physical presence than Fabregas. Cesc needs to bulk up and start making runs into the box and make himself felt.

Juan Roman Riquelme: Haven't heard much from Argentina but always a classy player.

Alex De Sousa: For beating Chelsea even if he wasn't the scorer.

Shunsuke Nakumura: Again a classy player even if he was injured for most of the season.

Deco/Iniesta: Like Milan Barcelona have had an underwhelming season and in the absence of Messi, Iniesta has been the brightest spark. Deco hasn't shone due to injury but you can't ever really deny his wonderful passing and vision.

Diego/Van De Vaart: Did them both together as they are both having super seasons in the Bundesliga.

Guti: World class one day, reserve team the next.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not so sure you can count Ribery or Petrov as playmaker, really. Playmaker should be the dictate in the squad, and I don't see Petrov or Ribery controlling the midfield like your honorable mentions.

I think Scholes and Pirlo, but in your 1-5 list, I'd hate to say it but in that list it'd have to be Hleb.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure myself but I felt that Ribery and Petrov contributed so much to their respective teams I felt bad leaving them out. Hleb was originally on the list but I remembered Robinho and bumped him off. I should probably bump off Petrov and put Hleb in then. I'm not going to though until he leaves Arsenal.:D

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
yangch0000 said:
carrick for utd, fabregas for arsenal, makelele for chelsea, alonso for liverpool
all of them are world class
Playmakers... Makalele???

I think Rooney is v much a playmaker, along with Kaka, Scholes, Fabregas, Iniesta, even Gerrard when its the last 5 mins of a big game!!

I dont know why every1s saying Carrick he was anonymous on sunday, though he did win the penalty! I want to see alot more from Carrick cos I seen glimpses of brilliance from him this year!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Carrick made a slow start to the season but has got better and better as the season has gone on. Fabregas seems to have done the opposite - he made a brilliant start but has faded, probably due to fatigue.

I still regard Pirlo as one of the best playmakers in World football. AC Milan may not have set the World alight this season but last season and during the 2006 World Cup Pirlo was outstanding.

I heard Deco and Rijkaard have fallen out and that Deco is likely to leave this summer.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Playmakers are a rare breed of their kind in the 'beautiful game'. What they seem to possess is perhaps the ability to make the tempo of a game suddenly come to a stand still, slowing the passage of time, as they evaluate the variety of options available before either picking a team-mate with a sublime pass, or taking a shot themselves.

Mentioned their kind, and one would be instantly reminded of greats such as Zinedine Zidane, Diego Maradona, Johann Cruyff, Michel Platini, Gianfranco Zola & Zico. They are the one who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing moves which lead to goals. For short, they are the focal point of attack.

One of the important quality of a playmaker is the ability to read the game, and get into good positions making for effective receipt and distribution of the ball. Intuition is another key element of a playmakers' game, as they need to know where different players are at different times, without taking too long to dwell on the ball. A good playmaker will often hold possession, allowing other team members to make attacking runs. The ostensible role of the playmaker is to then provide or facilitate the final pass which leads to a goal.

If you are talking about pure vision, instinctive decision-making ability, immaculate positional sense, resounding passing, scoring ability, plus perhaps the definite aura of charisma, confidence and maturity, I would say Cesc Fabregas stands above the likes of Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Andres Iniesta, Ricardo Kaka & etc who combine grit, passion, technical ability and fitness approach more to their game. Last but not least, Franck Ribery & Mauro Camoranesi are wingers FYI.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
eoininho said:
Playmakers... Makalele???

I think Rooney is v much a playmaker, along with Kaka, Scholes, Fabregas, Iniesta, even Gerrard when its the last 5 mins of a big game!!

I dont know why every1s saying Carrick he was anonymous on sunday, though he did win the penalty! I want to see alot more from Carrick cos I seen glimpses of brilliance from him this year!!
if u watch chelsea play, when makelele is on field, almost everything goes through him. he is 35 but he is still a very good playmaker, and he figures in important games for chelsea, and thats why france still needs him

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Two of the most underated playmakers and midfielders in Europe.....
Inniesta and Xavi who are the 'real' stars at Barca

·
Registered
19 Posts
No bias here but definelty Hleb should be up there. The mans a genius. Against Liverpool at Anfield with the 1-1 draw, the way he held it and held it until he picked the most amazing pass for Fabregas was immense.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Arsenalfan said:
No bias here but definelty Hleb should be up there. The mans a genius. Against Liverpool at Anfield with the 1-1 draw, the way he held it and held it until he picked the most amazing pass for Fabregas was immense.

yeh he is a good player but genius dont make me laugh

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
marty davidson said:
Makelele a playmaker u r jokin rite
playmakers do not necessarily be a attacking player. makelele starts all the move in midfield, he dictates the play. he may not have the final pass to assist someone, doesnt mean that he is not a playmaker. there is a difference between playmaker and attacking midfielder

1 - 19 of 19 Posts