Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the article featured below, former Juventus star and 1982 World Cup winner Paolo Rossi, states that with the addition of Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United have the best attacking line-up in Europe with Inter and Barca being second and third respectively.

I was a bit surprised at first, but upon closer inspection, think that the statement might actually be close to the truth.

My initial surprise at his statement probably stems from the fact that we've been screaming out for a classic tall, strong centre forward for the better part of two seasons, but if you consider Manchester's attacking line-up NOW, I think the man has a point.

Man Utd

Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho, Ronaldo.

I'm throwing Ronaldo into the mix, as he has been officially recognized as an attacker/forward when he was recently recognized as Europe's best attacking player.

In Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo we have three world class attacking players and I think Berbato will firmly establish himself in the same class of strikers as Eto'o and Drogba, if he hasn't already done so. (He is in my eyes, but maybe not to the neutral)

I don't think I can agree with his assertion that Barcelona is in third place though.

My ratings for the best attacking line-ups in European football are:

1. Man Utd

Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho, Ronaldo.

2.Inter

Ibrahimovic, Adriano, Cruz, Balotelli, Crespo, Mancini, Quaresma (thanks to red murph for pointing our Adriano)

3.Bayern Muenchen

Toni, Klose, Podolski, Ribery, Schweinsteiger

4.Barcelona

Eto'o, Henry, Bojan, Messi

5.Milan*
Ronaldihno, Pato, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Borriello

6.Arsenal

Adebayor, van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo

*Edited after Jazzy's input.

Yep, I know. I think a lot of you will disagree on Bayern being ahead of Barcelona, but I just feel their attackers will prove themselves in the CL this season.

As for Arsenal - their strikers just keep popping into my mind when I think of attacking players.

Robinho leaving Madrid and Sheva leaving Chelsea still leave both teams with great squads, especially in midfield, but I'd say that they maybe don't have as many great forwards.

Honourable mentions:

Real Madrid
Raul, RVN, Robben, Saviola

Juventus
Amauri, Trezeguet, Del Piero

So what do you think and who do you feel has the best attacking line-up in Europe?

Man Utd Have The Greatest Attack - Rossi

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=849063

Former Juventus star and 1982 World Cup winner Paolo Rossi believes that English and European Champions Manchester United have the greatest attacking line-up in the World.

Rossi led La Nazionale to glory in Spain 26 years ago and he believes the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov will be the icing on the cake for the Red Devils.

The Old Trafford side paid Tottenham Hotspur over £30m for the Bulgarian's services as they attempt to go one better than last term and win the treble.

“The Red Devils are ahead of everyone in terms of their attacking line up,” Rossi told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.

“I think Inter are second and Mario Balotelli drives me crazy. Barcelona are the third strongest team in terms of the players they have up front.”

United, Inter and Barcelona all look lethal up front and the trio will be gunning for glory in the Champions League.

The Red Devils were after Berba all summer and it seemed like he wasn't going to join them as Spurs played hardball, but the White Hart Lane based club quickly changed their tune when they caught a whiff of the money.

Rossi’s failure to mention his old side Juve appears to suggest that he is not impressed with the Bianconeri’s attacking line-up, even though they spent over €24m on Amauri.

Salvatore Landolina

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd take the honorables over the Arse. Ade is the only non-glass man of any quality there.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nice thread RFR. I pretty much agree with you. With the addition of Berbatov
we will now be the most feared team in Europe.
Id actually have Bayern in 2nd ahead of Inter as Im still not convinced by both
Mancini and Quaresma and even Cruz to an extent. Dont know much about
Balotelli tbh. I know you could say the same about some of the Bayern players
but players like Ribery are just special, and the German boys are super
efficient and play very well at international level as well.

I also think Milan deserve an honourable mention....I might have even popped them on the list.
Ronaldihno, Pato, Inzaghi, Shevchenko (back where he CAN play) and Borriello.
Mix of experience, class, potential and bags of goals.
Actually Id have them ahead of Arsenal.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
i know we have the best attacking line up

but we must prove it by winning our match over 2 goals per match and at the end win the title and C1

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Quick question, how come Quaresma and Mancini are in there when Nani isn't?

I know they play slightly higher up but thats because Inter play 4-3-3, but when we play that same formation we have Nani and Park in those positions aswell

I'd say we are definately the strongest. We have 4 genuine world class players. No one else has that.

I might aswell say who has the best attacking team aswell: I think we win that aswell.

----------------------Vds----------------

--Hargreaves---Rio---Vidic---Evra---

-------------Scholes----Anderson------

--Ronaldo--------Rooney--------Tevez--

--------------------Berbaotv--------------

Surely thats the best attacking team in Europe?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
TheManc said:
I might aswell say who has the best attacking team aswell: I think we win that aswell.

--------------------Berbatov--------------

Looking at that team sends shivers. WOW :eek:
thats the team I woud play as well, with Hargo at RB for some games.
I just think he has so much to offer going forward and defensively.
Tevez could play anywhere and would probably just interchange with Rooney.
Not sure about Anderson with Scholes. Id rather Carrick was in there for now,
and maybe bring Anderson on as an impact sub?

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
TheManc said:
Quick question, how come Quaresma and Mancini are in there when Nani isn't?

I know they play slightly higher up but thats because Inter play 4-3-3, but when we play that same formation we have Nani and Park in those positions aswell

I'd say we are definately the strongest. We have 4 genuine world class players. No one else has that.

--------------------Berbaotv--------------

I dunno mate, I dont rate mancini much at all, but he plays as out and out attacking player in that formation as does Quaresma, who both can have an impact on the game with an assist or goal...Nani potentially can at times, but he still has to do more get his name there and Park does loads of running but i dont think i've ever seen him as a threat in any way at all offensively in a 4-3-3.

That formation you post is kinda scary in terms oh how many attacking players are there but i HIGHLY doubt we will ever deploy that team against any decent team from the start unless we are forced to. Why? Because Who is going to be the ball winner? Scholes surely cannot do much running anymore, Anderson is strong and can win the ball back at times but his natural game is to attack. IF all four attackers of united play, then hargreaves HAS TO play in my opinion as he the best at reading a game and winning possession back. Also dont forget carrick.

Also who to play on the left? Tevez? Not really convinced about that...

I think once all our players are fit, we will have a better idea of who will play as fergie tests his formations out more but i wouldnt be suprised if tevez rooney and berbatov fight for two positions in the end.

Oh and one other thing, deffo Brown for me at right back! I've never been one who switches mids to defenders sort of thing...

pz

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
^^ I wasn't really saying this should be our formation, I was just highlighting the the potential of the most attacking side that we can put out. btw, Nani was excellent vs Arsenal remember in the attacking Left position.

Jazz 16 said:
Looking at that team sends shivers. WOW :eek:
thats the team I woud play as well, with Hargo at RB for some games.
I just think he has so much to offer going forward and defensively.
Tevez could play anywhere and would probably just interchange with Rooney.
Not sure about Anderson with Scholes. Id rather Carrick was in there for now,
and maybe bring Anderson on as an impact sub?
Yeah, obviously we'd need some kind of protection, and Carrick can do that, I was just showing how attacking our line up could potentially be. And we'd still have the likes of Giggs, Nani, Park, Manucho ect on the bench!

We are very lucky right now, so hopefully we can make the most of it and bring hom a few more trophies over the next few years!

Barcelona have a very attacking line up though.

-----------Xavi---Toure---Iniesta*-----------

Messi----------------------------------Henry--
-------------------Eto'o----------------------

5 of that 6 are excellent attacking wise. Technically they are the best attacking unit I think. Xavi, Messi and Iniesta seem to have super glue attatched to there boots as there ball control is incredible.

* Incredibly underrated, - amazing player IMO.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Oh and as for the actual post, i think united along with Barcelona have the best attacks, inter,milan, arsenal, bayern and madrid also have alot of threats in there teams imo.

pz

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
TheManc said:
^^ I wasn't really saying this should be our formation, I was just highlighting the the potential of the most attacking side that we can put out. btw, Nani was excellent vs Arsenal remember in the attacking Left position.

Yeah, obviously we'd need some kind of protection, and Carrick can do that, I was just showing how attacking our line up could potentially be. And we'd still have the likes of Giggs, Nani, Park, Manucho ect on the bench!

We are very lucky right now, so hopefully we can make the most of it and bring hom a few more trophies over the next few years!

5 of that 6 are excellent attacking wise. Technically they are the best attacking unit I think. Xavi, Messi and Iniesta seem to have super glue attatched to there boots as there ball control is incredible.

Agreed without doubt, iniesta is one of the best and versatile attacking midfielders in the world. The technique of the barcelona lads is scary...

[email protected] glue stuck to their feet, thats quality! True too!!

pz

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Oh and what about athletico madrid and sevilla? Not on a level as the ones mentioned, but they have alot of POTENTIAL in the attacking third of the pitch imo.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jazz 16 said:
Nice thread RFR. I pretty much agree with you. With the addition of Berbatov
we will now be the most feared team in Europe.
Id actually have Bayern in 2nd ahead of Inter as Im still not convinced by both
Mancini and Quaresma and even Cruz to an extent. Dont know much about
Balotelli tbh. I know you could say the same about some of the Bayern players
but players like Ribery are just special, and the German boys are super
efficient and play very well at international level as well.

I also think Milan deserve an honourable mention....I might have even popped them on the list.
Ronaldihno, Pato, Inzaghi, Shevchenko (back where he CAN play) and Borriello.
Mix of experience, class, potential and bags of goals.
Actually Id have them ahead of Arsenal.

Man... I actually wrote two paragraphs about why I was going to put Bayern before Milan, before I remembered that they had signed Mancini and deleted whatever I wrote :)

I would agree about not being convinced about Cruz, but CROoney might have a fit (as he often does).

I might redraft the list in a few games time. Let's see.

Bariello and Sheva's addition do make Milan's line-up mouth watering, but we'll have to see if Sheva can regain his form, but you;re right. They're definitely worth a mention.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheManc said:

Ah, TheManc. I think your banner has given you wings and I look forward to your posts :)

I would say barcelona look a real threat this season and let's not forget who they;''ve signed for the right back position. He'll be a threat going forward too.

but from a pure attack/forward stand point I think we edge them out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
apart from ours, i like arsenal's attacking line up. they are weak in midfield, but they have very good forwards, and lots of variety. and they are all very young, and can only get better

adebayor, van persie, eduardo, bendtner, walcott, vela

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I also think Arsenal are good, i honestly think they are an expierenced CM away from been on level par with Chelsea as our biggest rivals!!
Cant understand why Wenger didnt sign one, he messed up IMO

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I personally believe Juventus have the best striking force in the world right now. With a striker like Iaquinta on the bench, you know they're good.

Trezeguet, Del Piero, Amauri & Iaquinta is very respectable. I'm more interested in who's going to play at Old Trafford.

Assuming Berbatov will have to start now will Ferguson bench Tevez or Rooney. I think Tevez is in better form but Ferguson can't seem to bench Rooney.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
for me,

man utd- obvious choice now. who can stop ronaldo, rooney, tevez and berbatov at the same time. all of them are well capable of creatig chances for their teammates as well as take their chances

arsenal- adebayor had a huge season last season and i doubt he can repeat it, but van persie has a lot to prove and i trust his ability to deliver. eduardo was unfortunate, if he can regain his match sharpness, he will be deadly yet again. bendtner, walcott and vela just need more matches before they go on and achieve more.

barcelona- henry and eto'o, there isnt much to say about them. messi, in my opinion, the best player on planet. bojan is a little bit overhyped last season, but he will get better.

ac milan- shevchenko will have to prove himself again in the old shirt, and there is certainly enough motivation for him to do so, after 2 disastrous season with chelsea. ronadinho still has the ability, and i think he just needs this new challenge to start over. inzaghi will not lose his killer instinct in front of goal overnight. pato has every potential to be one of the very best player in the world. does not know much about borriello.

bayern- klose and toni- proven goalscorers, but cant see them improve any further. podolski still yet to establish himself as a top class player. schweinsteiger, in my opinion, is overrated. ribery carried bayern munich to their bundesliga last year.

inter- i have my doubts with mancini and quaresma. how much end products can they produce? can be very good signings, as well as big flops. ibrahimovic, can be irresistable one day, but can disappear from pitch on another day, needs to improve his consistency. cruz is a good forward, i dont rate him much.

real- the sale of robinho will come back and haunt them. raul and ruud are not young anymore, but both still are ones of the greats of all time, and will deliver when called upon. sneijder and robben have to raise their game and at the same time, stay injury free. van der vaart is the one i look forward to see.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i think we have the best attacking line-up in Europe because with players like Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho, Ronaldo. With Ronaldo who will want to repeat his last season's performance, I think that Berba will manage to score more than 20 goals, in all competition...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i think with tevez,ronaldo and rooney we have by far the best attack in europe, but after us it's good old Real...i mean Ruud,Raul,Robben
Two of the best attackers in the last 5 years play for them...not only play , henry plays too, but they're in-form strikers all the time..also with VDV and Sneijder - they have one of the best attacking lineups in the world

1 - 20 of 35 Posts