Manchester United Talk banner

Who is the worst ever Premier League manager?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading that Newcastle might be interested in employing the services of Terry Venables, I immediately thought of who the worst ever Premier League managers were.

Some immediate names that come to mind are, Christian Gross (was a comedy show at Spurs for a while). Sammy Lee should also be a contender, even though he was a short act ...hur hur..

Other managers who just didn't make good decisions on and off the pitch are Glen Roeder, Mike Walker and Peter Taylor.

Who is the biggest loser in your opinion?

I'll let this run for a while and put up a poll.

Should be good fun :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scottsati said:
i always disliked peter reid....he was a guy who was always talked about how a great a manager he'd make at the top level etc. never thought he was up to it

Good shout, mate. An absolutely useless and unlikeable man

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spellbound said:
Graeme Souness my a mile or two. He had clubs like Loserfools, Blackburn and Newcastle and proved he's useless in all 3 clubs.

My fool friends is still talking about the 3 year of darkness with Soundess as manager. I cant remember what player who told that Souness were more interested in telling how bloody good the fools were when he played for them rather then to help the team at the practice ground.

But actually I love Souness, he set the Loserfool standard of never winning the league title and they've been keeping that spirit since his glorious years.

- What a good shout. An absolutely useless manager!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
eoininho said:
Glenn Hoddle would be in with a shout, as would Dave O'Leary, Bryan Robson, Alan Perrin at Pompey was woeful.. did they have some Greek fool as well? **** McCarthy was one of the worst but he had v little to work with, who did Sunderland have in between him and Reid, Wilkinson? Awful also!!

Whoa... man you should write horror, because some of those names give me the chills! :)

Amazingly useless fools.

I have to say that Bryan Robson is very, very embarrassing. He is such a United legend, but such a horrible manager.

A lot club owners probably hire him, cos they think he learnt from Fergie and see other former United greats doing well, but I always get that feeling from Robbo that the lights are on, but no one's home. :(

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Poll added.

My apologies, but there were only 10 options avilable and upon scrutny, I decided to leave out Christian Gross, Peter Reid and Les Reed.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
RedMurph7 said:
Egil Olsen of Wimbledon in another awful manager. I always remember pictures
of him taking training in a pair of wellington boots and thought this chap is
more of a farmer than a football manager. (No offence to farmers) Christian
Gross was a comedy show as well as RFR says. Him and his tube ticket! But out
of the poll i voted for **** McCarthy. Didn't win one match ever in the Premiership.

Egil Olson! Ha! Good shout. :D

I wonder why they bothered to hire him as coach for the crazy gang. A quite Scandinavian fella. I can't remember him in Wellingtons though.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
sweet fa said:
i reckon it has to be sammy lee simply because all the others have had limited success somewhere as a manager. i think lee's managerial employment is finished with for good after such a bad start,however he has been a decent no 2 i guess he was just out of his depth same thing happened to brian kidd who was also dreadful at blackburn.

he definitely has a short career as a manager :)

I went with Sammy Lee too. He was a well-known and well-respected number two, but just couldn;t commend the players' respect and didn't cut a very confident figure as a manager.

Bolton went from a UEFA Cup place to relegation zone and it's largely to do with hin man-management and changing of tactics.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I guess we can add Wendy's name to the candidates in future threads about this subject, although Wikipedia tells me that he was in charge of 56 Spurs games and had 22 wins, whcih seems a lot to me. Must hve been in cup games :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts