Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic title pretty much says it all...Im not asking who is the best player you have seen or who u think is the current best etc, just who is your favourite player to have never played for united. Whether they are still playing or not does not matter because there are alot of people of different age groups in here but just wondered who peoples favourite players are outside of our players.

For me growing up, brazilian ronaldo was like the whoa player for me. Other great players like baggio and del piero before he had all his leg injuries are great too! Rivaldo was a pleasure to watch at barcelona and players like figo and raul were at times amazing to watch too. Roberto carlos and dela péna are other great players i've watched some of too.

But for real, along with zidane, ronaldo will be known as the greatest player of this generation and when he was young, he was different class! Zidane was amazing i admit but i never watched huge amounts of him but what i saw was class without doubt and i liked him even more after the headbutt but my favourite player ever...Brazilian ronaldo! :cool:

Big props to the big guy for making me love football. I used to be in awe watching him tear defences up on tv from what he did in holland, to spain to italy (which at the time was easily the toughest league) and i used to try to play like him at school too. haha.

how about you ?!?

pz!:cool:

...Sorry if this has been done before!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I`m ashamed ..
I mean I hate him, he`s an idiot, he is a bloody Scouser and he talks shit.

But in my eyes, he`s class.

I don`t wanna even say his name.

Z

·
0 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
I`m ashamed ..
I mean I hate him, he`s an idiot, he is a bloody Scouser and he talks shit.

But in my eyes, he`s class.

I don`t wanna even say his name.
Jamie Carragher? :D

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The whole forum might say Zidane.

But i'll go with the litte man who's team we play sunday---- ZOLA!!! He might not be anyone elses choice, but he amazed me when ever i seen him play. Messi reminds me of him actaully!! And he always looked like he enjoyed the game, a joy to watch.

Z

·
0 Posts
I would have to say Thierry Henry. Obviously Ronaldo was a better player than him, but Henry was a player I watched every week, whereas I rarely saw Ronaldo play.

Henry had pace, power, he was a great finisher and had a good shot from distance too. I remember the one season where he had something stupid like 30 goals and 30 assists. That's an amazing contribution and one I doubt will be repeated. Plus there's THAT goal against us where he flicked the ball up on the turn and volleyed it into the top corner. Unbelievable player.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
-zuco- said:
I would have to say Thierry Henry. Obviously Ronaldo was a better player than him, but Henry was a player I watched every week, whereas I rarely saw Ronaldo play.

Henry had pace, power, he was a great finisher and had a good shot from distance too. I remember the one season where he had something stupid like 30 goals and 30 assists. That's an amazing contribution and one I doubt will be repeated. Plus there's THAT goal against us where he flicked the ball up on the turn and volleyed it into the top corner. Unbelievable player.
Exact same player as i was going say. Henry amazed me he made everything look so effortless and stylish. Scored practically every week and there was hardly a bad looking goal in the lot and he assisted as much as he scored which was just as impressive.

Raul would be there too but never seen him play as much only the odd champions league game

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Without a doubt, it has to be Fernando Peyroteo.

He was part of our famous offensive line, called the five violins (Jesus Correia, Travassos, Albano, Peyroteo and Vasques), for the excelent form in which they played together.

He's the leading goalscorer in the Portuguese championship, with 331 goals, and has the Best goal scoring average in the history of football, with 1,61 goals per game.

It's just unfortunate for us that, at the time we had this amazing team, there wasn't european competitions, otherwise, we would have a couple on our museum as well. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Peyroteo

Z

·
0 Posts
I think for the purposes of this thread Sporting, you should choose a player who didn't play for the team you support :p

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
-zuco- said:
I think for the purposes of this thread Sporting, you should choose a player who didn't play for the team you support :p
Who didn't play for us ever? Hum.... Probably Marco Van Basten, then. His career was cut short, but I think he was amazing, perfect in pretty much all aspects of the game.

VaVaVoom said:
Look at the size of the trophy lol.
There's quite an interesting story about that trophy. A newspaper of that period, called "O Século", decided to award that monstrous trophy to the club that 1st won 3 championships in a row, or 5 alternated. It was a trophy meant to be given to benfica, but we foiled the newspaper's ploy by winning the next 3 championships, thereby bringing that awesome award to our galery. I've been several times to our museum, and i cal tell you, it's a monster. :D

S

·
0 Posts
I'm chosing a player from the last 15 years (or a lot of members won't have even of heard of some of the names i would put in the hat).

There can only be one for me and that is Thierry Henry.
What more can you say ? 100% skill, 100% class, 100% style,
amazing to watch, a fantstic team player as well.
Pure pleasure to see him on the pitch.

(except when he played and scored against us, then he was a "beep" ). :D

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Fat Ronaldo when he was not fat.

He was truly a phenomenon in his golden days, there was just no way to stop him. The scary thing about him was that he always scored in the big games. I can remember World Cup final against Germany which was billed as the world's best striker Vs the worlds's best goal keeper (Kahn) and he scored twice to crown Brazil as the world champs. A true legend and one of the best strikers the world has ever seen. It's sad for me to see him spiral down into a laughing stock nowadays.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Alan Shearer and Thiery Henry.

Both could score crazy goals and while Henry was more electric with his pace, Shearer amazed was inspiring with his power and finishing.

Also, Shearer has a brilliant first name. :)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
If I leave out Zidane & Brazilian Ronaldo, since every body will say them, then I'd have to pick...

Ferenc Puskas, Henrik Larsson & Davor Suker. I'm sorry that I'm indecisive. :p

1 - 20 of 52 Posts