• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who the hell is Anderson and why have we spent £17m on him?

Anderson, has mustered 45 minutes in Manchester United's first team before making a premature exit against Sunderland. His involvement in the Carling Cup exit to Coventry, suggests that a year in the reserves beckons for him. However,

Is this really worth £17million midfielder's price tag. Of course he signed a contract and he is with us for X amount of year but at £17m... Thats an awful lot of money.... I'm just really confused as to what the hell we've done by signing him. We could have gone for loads of great players for £17m... Huntalaar (sp) for starters. Schweinstiger (sp). God i'm just totally bummed out by this transfer at the moment.

I sort of feel the same about Nani as well.

I made a thread before these guys played where i wanted to discuss if we had over spent on players and it was locked by a mod and i was called an idiot. Well call me an idiot but going on the evidence so far this season these transfers have not been amazing.

I'm not saying they wont become better players by the way. I'm talking about the present.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, no one becomes a superstar in the EPL overnight. You can't rate someone this early. He's not first team material at the moment, I feel. However, I don't think it's fair to call him crap right now.

Maybe loan him out so he can get some experience, then we can see his worth. Just a thought.

·
Registered
987 Posts
RichardReds wtf? the more pressure u put on him the worse he gets...

let SAF mould him and this is just vtupid stupido el stupidity JP...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
RR, who do u think should step aside for Anderson then? Tevez? Rooney or Scholsy?

The lad is just 20, a summer singning and will need the longest time to adjust to the new game. He havent been showing why Fergie spent all the money yet but his time will come. (Unless he's another Diego Forlan:) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
He's one of the most highly rated and sort after young players in the game. Chelsea and Fascist Madrid were sniffin around him. By all accounts, Fergie wanted him to stay at Porto for another season (just like Nani) but other clubs forced their hand.

Give the lad a chance

·
Registered
31 Posts
I cant see much in him i agree that the price tag very inflated.
but if he takes the time to learn the game then i think he will be a good player as long as he gets the miniutes

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Bob Bingham said:
He's one of the most highly rated and sort after young players in the game. Chelsea and Fascist Madrid were sniffin around him. By all accounts, Fergie wanted him to stay at Porto for another season (just like Nani) but other clubs forced their hand.

Give the lad a chance
Well said Bob. I agree with you.
He just needs some time to adjust. This is all new to him.
I always use Ronaldo as an example-In case anyone has forgotten he was NOT a great player when he first joined and was incredibly frustrating to watch for the first couple of years (despite some moments of pure brilliance). Just look at Ronnie now though. He just needed time and then the confidence and end product started flowing in abundance. Anderson WILL come good, if not this year then the year after. No rush anyway while we still have Scholesy playing well.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Give the guy a chance!

He played in the Copa America so didn't have a full pre-season with United, he was injured at the start of the season, he's barely played for us and we're less than 2 months into his 1st season!

What could he have done by now to justify a £17m price tag?!

Anderson and Pique were the only 2 players to escape criticism from Fergie against Coventry. Anderson has already shown that his technical ability is outstanding. Once he gels with the team, learns how we play, gets fully match fit and is playing regular football he'll start to show us what he can do.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Give the lad a break, He is only 19 and it will take a while for him to be worth his price tag. He didnt play alot last year as he is just back from a leg break. He will come good everyone just needs to be patient.

·
Registered
505 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Anderson, has mustered 45 minutes in Manchester United's first team before making a premature exit against Sunderland. His involvement in the Carling Cup exit to Coventry, suggests that a year in the reserves beckons for him. However,

Is this really worth £17million midfielder's price tag. Of course he signed a contract and he is with us for X amount of year but at £17m... Thats an awful lot of money.... I'm just really confused as to what the hell we've done by signing him. We could have gone for loads of great players for £17m... Huntalaar (sp) for starters. Schweinstiger (sp). God i'm just totally bummed out by this transfer at the moment.

I made a thread before these guys played where i wanted to discuss if we had over spent on players and it was locked by a mod and i was called an idiot. Well call me an idiot but going on the evidence so far this season these transfers have not been amazing.

I'm not saying they wont become better players by the way. I'm talking about the present.
You're a clueless idiot who isn't worth a serious reply.

I really can't fathom how you can slag off a teenager who has moved to the biggest club in the world, embracing a totally new culture, a new country and a whole new life. It will take time for him to settle and if you cannot understand that then you are an even bigger tool than I thought.

I'm gonna ask the rest of the forum for answers, do you think this bullshit thread should be closed? I don't want to be accused of being selfish so i'd like your views.

I personally think premature nonsense like this poisons the forums. What are your thoughts?

I'll attach a poll.

Oh and for the record, He doesn't cost £17m. Not even close.

It's a deal based on success and apperances.

I'm pretty sure he will cost £17m in the end though, he has frightening potential and Sir Alex Ferguson is just the man to realise that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
We all have the right to an opinion. Why keep closing threads on this issue. We should be able to discuss this topic like adults wihout calling people names imo.
So I vote to keep the thread open.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've tried to respond to everyones points here....

unitedred said:
You're a clueless idiot who isn't worth a serious reply.

I really can't fathom how you can slag off a teenager who has moved to the biggest club in the world, embracing a totally new culture, a new country and a whole new life. It will take time for him to settle and if you cannot understand that then you are an even bigger tool than I thought.

I'm gonna ask the rest of the forum for answers, do you think this bullshit thread should be closed? I don't want to be accused of being selfish so i'd like your views.

I personally think premature nonsense like this poisons the forums. What are your thoughts?

I'll attach a poll.

I'm pretty sure he will cost £17m in the end though, he has frightening potential and Sir Alex Ferguson is just the man to realise that.
You have brought up alot of points that i'm now going to try to discuss with you. However if you just want a slagging match thats up to you...

Firstly you think i'm a clueless idiot about football, fair enough thats you opinion i can accept that. Although its hardly a fair arguement just calling me that. Why is your opinion correct, what makes mine idiotic? Surely its more unfair to just call me an idiot and consider that the conversation over?

Of course i am aware that Anderson is a teenager, who is having to embrace a new culture. It takes time to adjust. I can understand this. Furthermore i did not actually slag Anderson off at all. If you would take a minute to read my post again please identify just where i have slagged him off.

"Anderson, has mustered 45 minutes in Manchester United's first team before making a premature exit against Sunderland. His involvement in the Carling Cup exit to Coventry, suggests that a year in the reserves beckons for him. However,

I'm not saying they wont become better players by the way. I'm talking about the present."

I do not see 1 insult or criticism about Anderson.

My point was that we spend £17m on an untested practically unknown teenager. £17m... That money could have bought another excellent player already developed in a position that needed filling.

My point was £17 is a huge amount of money. This transfer is undoubtly a risk. I do not see the potential in Anderson that other Man Utd fans do. Hopefully he'll become a world super power. If there is a manager that can get the best out of players Ferguson is definately one of the few who can. But for £17m on someone who is young, not had much experience. Its a very, very big risk.

You continue to say....
"I personally think premature nonsense like this poisons the forums. What are your thoughts?

I'll attach a poll."

Why is it "premature" and "nonsense" or even "poison"... You really consider what i wrote are poison, and nonsense?

I am a season ticket holder at Old Trafford. Its my opinion which i have discussed with the fans who i stand next to. They also share it. I am not entitled to it discuss that here?

I have not been calling Anderson anything derogatory. I have simply expressed disappointment in a transfer. Since when does it say we are not allowed to question the success of a transfer?

"Oh and for the record, He doesn't cost £17m. Not even close.

It's a deal based on success and apperances."

Sky sports, ESPN soccernet and various other sources all seem to think the transfer is £17m. Are you sure you have got your facts correct? I am not absolutely sure what he cost but i know what i have read. I have read that figure at several very highly respected news sources.

As a side note. I'd like to ask you, being as you are seem to make decisions here on what people are and are not allowed to discuss.

Are we, or are we not allowed to criticise anything to do with Man Utd on this forum? If we aren't, which is the feeling i'm receiving from you. Then that is crazy... I'm only trying to discuss something here. Not argue with you.

PrinceZane said:
Well, no one becomes a superstar in the EPL overnight. You can't rate someone this early. He's not first team material at the moment, I feel. However, I don't think it's fair to call him crap right now.

Maybe loan him out so he can get some experience, then we can see his worth. Just a thought.
I did not call him crap...

pilkytm said:
I cant see much in him i agree that the price tag very inflated.
but if he takes the time to learn the game then i think he will be a good player as long as he gets the miniutes
I agree with you

ARBUCKS said:
Give the lad a break, He is only 19 and it will take a while for him to be worth his price tag. He didnt play alot last year as he is just back from a leg break. He will come good everyone just needs to be patient.
It is clear that he needs more time. I agree.

You say he is only 19 and didn't play last year. That must mean he played most of his football the year before. When he was 18. He can't have had much football at a high level then. In that case how has he commanded such a high transfer fee?

Jazz 16 said:
We all have the right to an opinion. Why keep closing threads on this issue. We should be able to discuss this topic like adults wihout calling people names imo.So I vote to keep the thread open.
Thank you. I completely agree with you. Seems very childish to close threads when there is a disgreement. There is no right or wrong opinion on this. I have not been insulting him or slagging him off. I personally don't see the problem with what i wrote. A different opinion is not a problem. Its just a contrast of thought!

Also i've never met a mod or admin, whatever you want to call them, who swears at posters who come to a fellowing fan site...

In another post this admin/mod gunned someone down saying something along the lines of "you don't pick the team anyway so your opinion doesn't matter". Hardly a friendly thing to do to someone who wrote a fair and constructive post.

As for the poll. You've asked us to vote on something which i didn't even bring up. You've missed the point completely. I did not say i've passed judgement on him. I said that we could have spent our money elsewhere. He may yet become a very good player for us. Unitedred, you're asking us to vote on something unrelated to what i was discussing...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
RichardsReds said:
"Oh and for the record, He doesn't cost £17m. Not even close.

It's a deal based on success and apperances."

Sky sports, ESPN soccernet and various other sources all seem to think the transfer is £17m. Are you sure you have got your facts correct? I am not absolutely sure what he cost but i know what i have read. I have read that figure at several very highly respected news sources.
This is one of the problems I have with 'undisclosed' transfer fees.

The Times claimed that Anderson initially cost United £8m with the fee rising to £17m based on appearances etc.

MUST members have also spread this news story (their take on it being that the Glazers are trying to make out they are backing Fergie with huge spending in the transfer market when, in fact, they are not).

£8m is still a lot of money for a teenager but I think he has a lot of promise. From what little we have seen of him he has a lot of ability but has not looked match sharp or fit in any of his appearances.

Anderson has, in my opinion, been bought as the long-term replacement for Paul Scholes so perhaps we will not truly know if he was value for money until the Ginger Magician has retired.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
he hasn't even played a full match..wait...it takes time..especially for a brazilian to get used to the Premier League

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
unitedred said:

I agree.....im 100% sure the boy will be class in a few years!!

unitedred said:
I'm gonna ask the rest of the forum for answers, do you think this bullshit thread should be closed?
yes i do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.