Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother was telling me the other day that there was a poll been done on the liverpool website bout which united player would you most like to see in a liverpool shirt, and carlos tevez was voted for the most, id like to know which liverpool player would you like to see in a utd shirt, and please no answer like none, dirty scousers, pick one and tell us why..

my pick is xabi alonso, paul scholes is near the end of his career and i belive alonso would be a much suited player to take over from scholes, he can hit the ball with both feet, great range of passing, can tackle:)whistling:),

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
are you a scouser in disguise?:p
for me easy Torres if we had him and Rooney up front :eek: would be the best attack in the world combined with Ronaldo too!breath taking

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
for me its between torres and gerrard.

as canto said rooney and torres would be breathtaking up front.
gerrard playing with hargreaves or carrick in the middle would be a very strong combination , with gerrard breaking forward bursting into the box , something we have been lacking since scholes was at his peak.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for me its between torres and gerrard.

as canto said rooney and torres would be breathtaking up front.
gerrard playing with hargreaves or carrick in the middle would be a very strong combination , with gerrard breaking forward bursting into the box , something we have been lacking since scholes was at his peak.
i agree with ya mate we need someone like scholes was back in the day, i said alonso cause hes a great passer but gerrard wud be my second pick

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Alonso is too similar to Carrick, we need a driving force in midfield (Anderson has potential).

Gerrard can't play in a 4-4-2.

Torres will be unstoppable in this United team. He has the pace to match our style of play too.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Torres in a heartbeat.
Gerrard is world class but Id never want him playing for United.
Torres is the only player Id take.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Alonso is too similar to Carrick, we need a driving force in midfield (Anderson has potential).

Gerrard can't play in a 4-4-2.

Torres will be unstoppable in this United team. He has the pace to match our style of play too.
Gerrard can play in a 4-4-2 its where he made his name, only recently has he been in the hole role. Rafa just can't set up effective 4-4-2 systems.

I'd have Gerrard from Liverpool anyway. Although it would be so difficult not to pick Torres.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Torres - Easy..!
Him and Rooney up front, Magic..!
Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano are also players that I think we could fit into the team..

Bit of a surprise them picking Tevez?!
He's a player a lot of United Fans are saying not to sign up now, while their biggest Rivals would love to have him.. I think rafa would love Tevez also, he loves a work-horse in the team..!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Surely you'd take Torres. He'd be the perfect fit.

The comment about Gerrard being unable to play in a 4-4-2 is right. Well, he can do it well, but he's not world class in such a role.

To turn it around the other way, it's obvious that we'd take Ronaldo if you're purely looking at football ability. I don't think that would be a surprise to anyone at all though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Torres or Gerrard, easily the best players in their squad in my opinion

I'm gonna say Torres because he'd fit in better, and also he's not an out and out dirty thieving scouser

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Agger? Huh? Really?
I really rate him. He was immense for you up until he had a serious injury (didn't he break his foot?)

I think given a run of games and some experience he can become a world class defender.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Torres, it'd be like villa and torres for spain...oh wait...wasnt that supposed to happen again for liverpool with robbie keane and torres! :D

Anyway yeh ofcourse torres...class player and would run behind defences

pz!:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Torres, it'd be like villa and torres for spain...oh wait...wasnt that supposed to happen again for liverpool with robbie keane and torres! :D
Just to show you my opinion on that. Here's an article that I three games into the league season:

When Robbie Keane was unveiled as a new signing by Rafa Benitez, I for one was surprised, as were many other Liverpool fans. Where is the winger (or two) that we desperately need? Why are we spending 20 million on a player we don’t even need?

Last season, Fernando Torres led the way up front, and he was simply brilliant. It was perhaps the greatest first season in English football by any foreign player. A major factor in Torres’ success was his partnership with Steven Gerrard, who was given a free role to push forward from midfield and act as support striker to the main man Torres. I doubt there are many Liverpool fans who would suggest that their partnership was anything but brilliant.

Towards the end of the 2007/08 season, it looked like we had finally found our feet under Rafa Benitez – the striker we were finally looking for and the outstanding form of our captain and talisman, with the energetic Mascherano providing a strength in midfield that we had lacked since the departure of Didi Hamann. A strong, uncompromising new defender in Martin Skrtel, forming a terrific partnership at the back with Carragher. All we needed to add was some real quality in the wide areas and a run at the title was sure to follow. Right?

After three Premier League games, of course the jury is still out on our title credentials. But despite our points tally and position on the table, Liverpool has been a long way from impressive so far, and Robbie Keane has failed miserably to impress. Of course a new signing needs to be given time to find his feet, but even if Robbie Keane does reach top form soon (at which he can be a great player), will it necessarily lead to an improved Liverpool?

Fernando Torres is an outstanding footballer. His skill and footwork are often sublime, his ability to make defenders look stupid is simply breathtaking, and he is also strong and combative – ideally suited to the Premier League and the English style of football. He does his best work when he is the main man, the focal point for every attack. He needs others to involve him in the play, because give him the ball and magic often follows. Deny him possession and he can go missing.

So what effect does bringing in a strike partner have on Torres? Potentially it will lead to a reduction in the amount of possession that he receives. Instead of being the focal point in attack, he becomes a 50/50 partner, and 50% of the time a midfielder looking forward will pass the ball to someone else, when last season the ball would have gone to him. His intelligent runs are missed and he is denied the ball at his feet to do what he does best – take on the opposition defender, beat him and score.

Robbie Keane plays with a similar mentality to Torres. He wants to be the focal point, he wants possession and he wants to be the one who scores the goals. He is not a support striker. He is not a foil. Dropping back into midfield or out wide to link the play between the midfield and Torres does not suit him in the way it does someone like Gerrard.

The similarities of Torres’ and Keane’s games were obvious in Keane’s league debut for Liverpool against Sunderland. A low shot from Kuyt was parried back toward the edge of the six yard box by the keeper, ready for Torres to react first and poke it home. The only problem was that Keane reacted in the same way, also beat the defenders to the ball, and ultimately prevented Torres from scoring as the two got in each other’s way. Neither one was at fault – both showed great predatory instincts that you want in your strikers, but their similar goal-poaching style almost lead to two points dropped on the opening day. It would have been two points lost, if not for yet another outstanding goal by Torres late in the match, after Keane had been removed from the pitch and Torres given the chance to lead the line on his own.

Torres showed us last season that he is superb as a lone striker, and Gerrard showed us that he is superb at breaking from midfield and providing the perfect link between the Liverpool midfield and Torres. Why break up a match made in heaven? Why fix what isn’t broken? Why not add in one or two quality wingers to increase the supply, rather than bringing in a strike partner and possibly decreasing supply to the man who was the premier striker in Europe last season?

I hope I am wrong. I hope Torres and Keane forge a terrific partnership and Torres becomes an even better player than he was last season. But I am fearful that the performances of Torres from last year cannot be matched when he is not the main man.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts