Manchester United Talk banner

Applauding Vidic after his sending off- Right or Wrong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin this, I want to start of by saying this is not a bitter post about being beaten today, we were beaten by a team with more hunger and desire. This is a post to the supporters who applauded Vidic after he had been sent off. I just don't understand this. I do agree with singing his name after he made his first mistake to let Torres in, sure sing his name to lift him up, keep his head from dropping. Although up until his sending off I could see us scoring a second and getting a point from the game. I think his sending off ultimately cost us a point at least, maybe if a player has had an amazing game and has had two unlucky bookings then fair enough, but he had had a stinker and to cap it off, he got himself sent off. You may say he prevented a goal, yeah true, until the free kick was taken and they scored from it anyway. i just don't get this at all. Maybe you think I am being harsh, but I do not believe his applause was warranted.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
he didn't know the free kick was gonna go in.

Ole did something similar once when he chased a srtiker back and took him out...

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Before I begin this, I want to start of by saying this is not a bitter post about being beaten today, we were beaten by a team with more hunger and desire. This is a post to the supporters who applauded Vidic after he had been sent off. I just don't understand this. I do agree with singing his name after he made his first mistake to let Torres in, sure sing his name to lift him up, keep his head from dropping. Although up until his sending off I could see us scoring a second and getting a point from the game. I think his sending off ultimately cost us a point at least, maybe if a player has had an amazing game and has had two unlucky bookings then fair enough, but he had had a stinker and to cap it off, he got himself sent off. You may say he prevented a goal, yeah true, until the free kick was taken and they scored from it anyway. i just don't get this at all. Maybe you think I am being harsh, but I do not believe his applause was warranted.
To be fair, in no way would we be where we are right now without Vidic. He is also, or at least before the match today was the bookie's favorite to win PFA player of the year. But yeah, let's forget about all that and slag him off for having a bad game. Lord knows, Ronnie never had a bad game last year either... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he didn't know the free kick was gonna go in.

Ole did something similar once when he chased a srtiker back and took him out...
We got a point when Ole got sent off and Ole didn't already cost us a goal.

I'm a big believer in praise when praise is due, but praise was not due to Vidic today. You can't always pat these guys on the back.

Sure he may have been fav to get player of the year, but ur only as good as ur last performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
only rafa

Before we begin lets remember that that great stevie g played today and to be honest,we should be proud! he hasnt played before r marid 4 about 2 weeks..,,,,,,!!!! |Does anyone else think its odd that lpoll jave played 5 top 4 matches have have 4 players sent off in 4!!!! Less no forget rafae rant about mas last year total;y forgetting all de decisions they get

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
You might have just killed zuco:rofl:

Welcome, as well.

Alan Wiley didn't do anything wrong. Could have maybe gone yellow on Vidic instead of red, but Vidic made his bed and now has to sleep in it.

Z

·
0 Posts
Before we begin lets remember that that great stevie g played today and to be honest,we should be proud! he hasnt played before r marid 4 about 2 weeks..,,,,,,!!!! |Does anyone else think its odd that lpoll jave played 5 top 4 matches have have 4 players sent off in 4!!!! Less no forget rafae rant about mas last year total;y forgetting all de decisions they get
The sending off was the correct decision, nothing to do with Rafa. If Vidic hadn't been so far out of position he wouldn't have had to pull Gerrard down and wouldn't have got sent off. He only has himself to blame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the PFA awards should be based on the last games of the season?:whistling:
I never said that.

Look at it this way, do you think Fergie went in after the game and said "Hey big fella, you were our worst player today, you cost us a point and contributed to us having one of our worst home defeats in as long as I can remember. But hey, don't worry about it, you've been great all year and the bookies have you as the number one to win the PFA."

I think not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
forgiveness the liverpool way

How many team in de top 4 had 4 players sent off in 5 games??? Liverpool maybe!!!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I never said that.

Look at it this way, do you think Fergie went in after the game and said "Hey big fella, you were our worst player today, you cost us a point and contributed to us having one of our worst home defeats in as long as I can remember. But hey, don't worry about it, you've been great all year and the bookies have you as the number one to win the PFA."

I think not.
Ohh, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize that OT was full of 75,000 managers. No wonder we looked dreadful today, the team was trying to do as everyone of the fans said.

Please, for the sake of your argument, don't compare your actions to that of SAF.

Please, for the sake of hilarity, continue to compare your actions to that of SAF. :rofl:

I can't wait until you boycott the news after they slag off your son. You show them who is boss.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I was one of those many fans at OT that stood up and applauded Vidic. He had a stinker and it cost us but these things happen in football to EVERY single player.

Vidic has been our BEST player this season and the applause for Vidic was a tribute to what he has done for the club this season. He has scored 7 goals, been a major part in us getting that defensive record, has helped win us the Charity shield, World Club Championship and Carling Cup. We are also TOP of the league, in the semi's of the FA cup and the last 8 of the Champions league and A LOT of that is down to the beast that is Nemajaa Vidic. He deserved the standing ovation and I make no apologies for applauding him.
He is still the player of the season in the Premiership. He will be back ******* murdeding people in no time.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I was one of those many fans at OT that stood up and applauded Vidic. He had a stinker and it cost us but these things happen in football to EVERY single player.

Vidic has been our BEST player this season and the applause for Vidic was a tribute to what he has done for the club this season. He has scored 7 goals, been a major part in us getting that defensive record, has helped win us the Charity shield, World Club Championship and Carling Cup. We are also TOP of the league, in the semi's of the FA cup and the last 8 of the Champions league and A LOT of that is down to the beast that is Nemajaa Vidic. He deserved the standing ovation and I make no apologies for applauding him.
He is still the player of the season in the Premiership. He will be back ******* murdeding people in no time.
I think this post answers the initial post completely!

I also think that you should applaud all the players, regardless of their performance.

The team had a bad day. Vidic had a shocker, but he is a big reason why we're in the position we're in. I don't understand why this is even in question.

You go to a sporting event and you cheer your team. I'm sure Vida was the last person on earth who wanted to lose that match.

Why let him walk off the pitcht to the sound of silence? Of course he should be applauded and encouraged. Life goes on and football goes on. That's one of the beautiful things about football.... it keeps going on and next week Vidic can put it all behind him and murder opposing strikers.

This thread is ridiculous in my eyes. If a player wears the red of Manchester United, I'm clapping when he leaves the field of play. Pure and simple.

·
23,699 Posts
I beg to differ on this.

I won't have applauded him when he left the pitch yesterday (after his performance for the Club) but I won't condemn him as a player too (after what he has done for us all this while) or those fans who choose to applaud (I do understand why they want to). :blink:

S

·
0 Posts
This thread is ridiculous in my eyes. If a player wears the red of Manchester United, I'm clapping when he leaves the field of play. Pure and simple.
You've said it all there RFR, especially the highlighted part. :thumbsup:

What do some people expect ? Complete silence from United fans?
or better still a chorus of boo's ringing in his ears from so called supporters ?

Z

·
0 Posts
You've said it all there RFR, especially the highlighted part. :thumbsup:

What do some people expect ? Complete silence from United fans?
or better still a chorus of boo's ringing in his ears from so called supporters ?
A chorus of boos would be harsh, even Liverpool-esque, but Vidic did not deserve any applause today in my opinion.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
To be fair to the thread starter, this is not a terrible thread.

He is not slating united fans in a major way or anything, he just disagrees with the reaction to vidic' performance.

I can understand both arguements for this really. Those who say why should he get any claps because he was poor but then the jazz side of it about what he has done or any other player who wears red actually.

However while i agree with both sides, i'd like to think we'd not boo our players ever, that would be shocking.

pz! :cool:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts