Manchester United Talk banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Morrison was with Birmingham on loan for the whole of this season, but I know where you're coming from. He was on loan with Birmingham for a reason..couldn't get games with WHU.
Yep, its incredible really. Sam didn't even give him a chance. Instead he choses to use nolan instead of him because he's one of the biggest advocates of this nonsense football that's getting england nowhere. There's a huge fascination with german talents at the moment but IMO if england could develop the current crop of youngsters correctly they'd atleast have a team to compete in the near future.

Morrison, barkley, hughes, zaha, sterling, wilshere, mceacheran, shaw, is where the focus must be and not with jonjo shelvy and henderson. Those are midtable level talents and should be treated as such. Instead one of them is wearing the captains armband for the u21. Don't know if you saw england U21 against italy U21. It was a total embarassment by england. If those lads on the pitch are the future of english football then you have to fear for the worst.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm not sure really, I regularly talk to a lad who supports Birmingham and he said he was one of their better players this season but reckons (when he was linked with City) that he'd never be good enough to get into a top Premier League side. I guess time will tell and he's still only 20.

No doubt if his attitude was right, he'd have been given a fairer chance here to play first team football and develop as a footballer and to get a fair estimate on how good he could become like Gibson.
Morrison is a special talent, a even bigger one than pogba. That birmingham friend of yours was never gonna see the best of him simply because his team plays awful football. The never, ever put it on the ground. Its pretty much hoof it to zigic and feed of scraps. Redmond who's clearly their biggest talent struggles to have any impact on the team because of the rubbish they play.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yep, its incredible really. Sam didn't even give him a chance. Instead he choses to use nolan instead of him because he's one of the biggest advocates of this nonsense football that's getting england nowhere. There's a huge fascination with german talents at the moment but IMO if england could develop the current crop of youngsters correctly they'd atleast have a team to compete in the near future.

Morrison, barkley, hughes, zaha, sterling, wilshere, mceacheran, shaw, is where the focus must be and not with jonjo shelvy and henderson. Those are midtable level talents and should be treated as such. Instead one of them is wearing the captains armband for the u21. Don't know if you saw england U21 against italy U21. It was a total embarassment by england. If those lads on the pitch are the future of english football then you have to fear for the worst.
Unfortunately there are still too many managers that embrace the old way of playing. I don't actually think Shelvey is all that bad but I cannot understand the motives for henderson starting ahead of McEachran or a similar technical player. We are choosing too many players for the U21s that will not turn out to be that good as Premiership players or lack the technical nouse to take England far in a tournament. As bad as we are at developing youngsters there must be some out there that can put on a more convincing display than last night. Even if they lost 3-1, but played some very enterprising football, surely that would be better than dour displays, after all who really cares about results at that level. I would get rid of Pearce and stick someone else in there like Southgate, who might actually want to change the way england play and have the capacity to transmit it to the youngsters.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts

Morrison will never get an England cap. Also McEachran is the most overrated youngster in England.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Morrison will never get an England cap. Also McEachran is the most overrated youngster in England.
Its this sort of atitude that is stagnating the engish game. The inability of the coaches of these teams to realise which players to focus on. Josh is a wonderfully talented youngster who simply needs guidance. Morrison will be a star if given the chance, its that simple really.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Its this sort of atitude that is stagnating the engish game. The inability of the coaches of these teams to realise which players to focus on. Josh is a wonderfully talented youngster who simply needs guidance. Morrison will be a star if given the chance, its that simple really.
Morrison has a terrible attitude.

McEachran has stagnated a lot. He's had a half decent loan at Boro but hasn't progressed enough to trouble Chelsea's team and struggled at Swansea. Chalobah is a far better prospect. It'll really take a monumental fuck up by Chelsea not to make him a star.

·
Registered
428 Posts

McEachran has stagnated a lot. He's had a half decent loan at Boro but hasn't progressed enough to trouble Chelsea's team and struggled at Swansea. Chalobah is a far better prospect. It'll really take a monumental f**k up by Chelsea not to make him a star.
In fairness central midfielders can take time to establish themselves. A few examples closer to home would be Carrick, Joe Cole and Darren Fletcher. I believe it is important to look long term and focus on players with potential, rather than those with the strong physical attributes at a young age.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

McEachran has stagnated a lot. He's had a half decent loan at Boro but hasn't progressed enough to trouble Chelsea's team and struggled at Swansea. Chalobah is a far better prospect. It'll really take a monumental f**k up by Chelsea not to make him a star.
One thing that's for certain they are going to try to fuck it up. Josh hasn't played nearly enough to improve as a footballer. This is the first season when he's gotten anything that resembles proper game time. Morrison had his problems in the ppast and it seems people can't get over them. He's played the majority of this season with no problem.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
One thing that's for certain they are going to try to f**k it up. Josh hasn't played nearly enough to improve as a footballer. This is the first season when he's gotten anything that resembles proper game time. Morrison had his problems in the ppast and it seems people can't get over them. He's played the majority of this season with no problem.
No problems in what sense? He was dropped for not being arsed in training and they wanted rid just a few weeks until he stepped in the door. I think Big Sam had to convince them to keep him around.

S

·
0 Posts
Relevant to this thread I think (y)

Premier League: English under-21s reaches new low

The playing time of English under-21s in the Premier League has fallen to its lowest level.

English under-21s made up 2.28% of the total minutes played in 2012-13 with Manchester City, Chelsea, Swansea, Stoke and Wigan failing to field an English player under 21 all season.

The new figures fall behind Italy (2.38%), Spain (3.40%), Germany (6.22%) and France (7.32%).
But the Premier League hopes to boost these numbers in three to five years.

According to new research by the CIES Football Observatory, only 35 English under-21 players made appearances in the Premier League last season, the lowest figure since 2005. In addition, Swansea did field Welsh defender Ben Davies, who is classed as an under-21 national.

The overall use of under-21 players in the Premier League has fallen from the highest of the big five European leagues in 2005 at 10.33% to the lowest of the big five, now at 4.45%.
And the percentage of playing time by English Under-21s is also on a downward trend, barring a peak because of the introduction of the homegrown rule.

England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce told BBC Sport: "I'd be lying if I said it's not important that our best young talent is playing in the Premier League."

The English top flight already has the lowest number of national players across all ages at 42.9%, compared to Italy (45.6%), Germany (55.4%), Spain (61.6%) and France (71.6%). Sports statisticians Opta claim the figure is 36% in the Premier League.

But the Premier League plans to tackle the issue via its £320m Elite Player Performance Plan. It intends to improve standards in club academies through increasing the number of hours youngsters train and the quality of coaching.

Plenty more on the link >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22687663

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Despite what I have posted I believe I could have coached us to glory in past years.
We play with fear.
I would ave made us play with swagger
A motivational speaker would do a far better job than the so called great managers

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
I love all this "in twenty years time we'll be level with Spain and Germany"

So development of youth in other countries will stop, will it? :facepalm

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I remember listening on the radio to the host nation annoucements for 2018 and 2022 coming in. I was absolutely gutted when England didn't win 2018, not only because I knew I'll probably never get the chance to go to a World Cup game but because I now know I'll never see England win one. The only time we've achieved in major tournaments is when they're in Europe and especially when they're in England.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I love all this "in twenty years time we'll be level with Spain and Germany"

So development of youth in other countries will stop, will it? :facepalm

We need to take on what other countries do. I remember when I first started playing when I was 9/10, we played on full size pitches with a size 5 ball. Ridiculous. If England want to succeed in the future the grass roots game needs to provide more emphasis on enjoyment, playing with skill and finesse, rather than shouting at someone because they decide to take a man on.

Taylor reckons it's the Premier League's fault. :facepalm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22831838

·
Registered
428 Posts
We had that debate when England didn't qualify for the WC in 1994. That was what 20 years ago now. Its not as if there aren't people who identify where the problems lie, but for whatever reason in England there are many others in and around football who fail to realise that developing skills is central to youth coaching. I also think the success of the PL has masked to some extent the deficiences of English players. Players perform well surrounded by sound technical foreign players who make intelligent runs. United has had a high english contingent but at the same time they have been amongst the best technically that england has to offer, the likes of scholes, beckham, carrick and ferdinand.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts