Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's become arguably the most tiresome cliche in football. The idea that Italian football is slow, boring & corrupt to boot.

I subscribe to a Youtube channel run by Serie A itself & they make truly beautiful videos, channel is serieatv for those interested.

Anyway my point is that these videos prove that Italian football comes up with the most beautiful moves.

I'm not saying it's the best league. I'm not saying it's the most exciting. I just believe that the football on display is always exquisite.

The passes are clever & incisive. The goals ooze technique & class. The timing, oh the timing. The level of keeping...

I believe that the 3 best keepers currently ply their trade in Italy. Cesar, Buffon & Frey. Just watch in high quality & subscribe to serieatv.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I love watching the Serie A. People just dislike it, because its more technical, and not as fast.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
hate serie A...so boring , slow,predictable and like vieira said - IN SERIE A I BARELY HAVE TO RUN - I RUN JUST WHEN I'M AROUND MY BOX... What I noticed there ,is when a player has the ball he is slow with it , he doesn't have a plan what do with it most of the time and other players just observe what he's gonna do with it...

a few years ago i was watching birmingham vs newcastle and i though to myself - this is why i love premiership - it's a straightforward league -

sure -italians are "wiser" - they don't run as much, they dont play pressing on your half but that's why i find it boring...
and imagine if the fa made the youtube channel and put that rooney's goal against newcastle, scholes against villa, rvp against everton , bentley against arsenal...

i bet that that youtube serie a channel would be embarassed - and the fact that stankovic,figo and vieira are one of the best players of the leauge is enough

they couldn't even help pompey avoid relegation ;)...

but of course this is only my opinion...

if anything that needs to be changed in england , that's the refs... they need to sanction careless tackles more often

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I think what a lot of people are forgetting, is that the better teams in Italy (aside from Inter, but I blame Mourinho for this) play real attacking football. Roma, Juve, even Milan get it going pretty good at times. Hell, the Juve v Milan game this year was the best game I've seen all year.

Now would I watch Catania v. Cagliari?

No.

Would I watch West Brom v. Stoke?

Probably.

·
23,699 Posts
CROoney said:
hate serie A...so boring , slow,predictable and like vieira said - IN SERIE A I BARELY HAVE TO RUN - I RUN JUST WHEN I'M AROUND MY BOX... What I noticed there ,is when a player has the ball he is slow with it , he doesn't have a plan what do with it most of the time and other players just observe what he's gonna do with it...

a few years ago i was watching birmingham vs newcastle and i though to myself - this is why i love premiership - it's a straightforward league -

sure -italians are "wiser" - they don't run as much, they dont play pressing on your half but that's why i find it boring...
and imagine if the fa made the youtube channel and put that rooney's goal against newcastle, scholes against villa, rvp against everton , bentley against arsenal...

i bet that that youtube serie a channel would be embarassed - and the fact that stankovic,figo and vieira are one of the best players of the leauge is enough

they couldn't even help pompey avoid relegation ;)...

but of course this is only my opinion...

if anything that needs to be changed in england , that's the refs... they need to sanction careless tackles more often
To see you post these days is like looking for a dinosaur. :p

Good points bro about Serie A.

Think the La Liga is more technical in that aspect. And lovely flowing football too.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think Serie A has lost the leadership about techinic (not sure if for the Liga or EPL) and athletic (surely for EPL), we still keep that one about tactic

That makes almost all matches very difficult:
recently, EPL has grown up about this aspect, but there's still huge difference between top teams and the others......... In the Liga they're still with the head upon the clouds........ In Italy, if you're not at your best, you don't win against the lowest teams because they don't concede you anything

Mourinho was all the summer preaching his 4-3-3 to set up an attack style for Inter...after not good results at the beginning, he has soon come back to the old system of Roberto Mancini: 4-4-2, with the midfield line disposed as rhombus

Maybe for you it's something boring, but I'd say ...... that is how professional football should be.
I would not accept taking easy goals from my team as well as I don't accept not see good attack actions. One thing is not to be preferred to the other one......there must be a balance. The best teams are those who coniugate both things, but it's something rare: only Barca and Man UTD do it right now

I agree with Piazza that Juve-Milan has been the best match so far, all tournalments considered......and not because I support JUVE....The same sunday, there was Barca-Real, and everybody could realize that the best show was in Turin, and not in Catalugna

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
I thought that was the arabian clubs, or the MLS ;)
becks looks good on italy ---yet well past it for prem or la liga .

3rd rate league tied with bundesliga

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I realised that most of the highest-valued and sought after players are indeed playing in the Premier League. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Fabregas, Ferdinand, Terry, Drogba, Essien, Torres, even bloody Downing is valued higher than most key players in the other leagues!
What has changed so quickly? Why have Italian teams suddenly dropped out of the picture? How about the likes of Fiorentina and Parma? Valencia and Deportivo may I say?
I think most importantly, obviously, the influx of hundreds of foreign players and foreign managers, the amount of money the EPL are making compared to La Liga and Serie A, and also the general belief of the British clubs that they are better than those teams in Europe.
I hate Serie A.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I really like Serie A, grew up watching it late 80's and throughout the 90's to present.
Every Sunday I used to watch the roundup on channel 4. :d class show.

Its behind the Prem and La Liga but its not far off. Italians have always
produced great players and we have seen a multitude of stars go ply their trade there.

Some give out because of the slower pace, but thats how they have always played
and its brought huge success, especially in Europe. Juventus are my team
and they have been amazing to watch over the years. Great all over the pitch.
As a defender myself, I can only be in awe at the quality of defenders that
have come from Serie A. Thats been the key to so much of the success in Europe
and with the national team.

I can see why some dont like Serie A, especially with all the recent stories
of match fixing, bribery and then the violence amongst the fans. Serie A as a league will
never be able to forget that, and it has been tarnished forever.

That doesnt mean to say its not a great league, with great teams and great players, because it IS just that.
I know Ill always watch Serie A with great interest.
Forza Juve!!

@ Dlan- cheers for the videos mate. Ill watch them now!! good thread too.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Serie A are used to having the best players in the world in their league.
Check out the following examples...

Euro 88 won by Holland - Rijkaard, van Basten, Gullit and co. all played in Serie A soon after.

WC 90 won by Germany - you had all the German lads at Inter for example - Matteus, Brehme, Klinsmann and a couple of others at Roma.

Euro 92 - Germany were runners up. see above.

WC 94 - Brazil won. Plenty of their team played in Serie A around then.
Taffarel, Aldair, Dunga and a couple of others.

Euro 96 was the Germans again.

France WC 98 - You had the likes of Zidane, Desailly, Thuram, Deschamps,
Candela, Djourkef (sp.) and Boghasian ALL played in Serie A.

France in Euro 2000, see above.

Brazil then won 02 and Italy themselves in 06 and runners up in Euro 2000.

So Serie A has always contained some of the best players in world football and
its been amazing to watch over the years,

The emergence of the Premiership has taken a lot of the best players away,
and Serie A is definitely in a slump, but it was the best league out there for many
years, and its still good to watch now, despite all the ******** off the pitch.

It might never be repaired or reach the heights it once did, but respect to a great old league.
It was the best in the World at one point....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
No please. stop it while you still have somedignity.

Don't come with YouTube videos, because I get full games from Serie A and I can tell you that they are really difficult to watch.

Sorry, but I would rather watch paint dry and my grandma knit than Serie A.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I remind everybody that for athletics there are the Olympic games .....

Recent Ballon d'Or:
1982 Rossi (Serie A)
1983 Platini
1984 Platini
1985 Platini
1988 Gullit
1988Van Basten
1989 Van Basten
1990 Matthaeus
1992 Van Basten
1993 Baggio
1995 Weah
1997 Ronaldo
1998 Zidane
2002 Ronaldo
2003 Nedved
2004 Shevschenko
2006 Cannavaro
2007 Kakà

I count 18 of the last 26 ...... what about other legues if Serie A is not good ???
And consider that Ballon d'Or is a french price, so not very oriented since the beginning towards Italy (we have lots stolen: in 94 the second of Baggio for Stoichkov, and in 96 Del Piero for Sammer the german, in 2000 the second of Zidane for Figo)

·
Banned
12,703 Posts

Those were the days. In the 90's Italian football was
something else but now, it's different.

I live in Italy at the moment and all people say when
I tell them I grew up in England is "Have you ever been to
Old Trafford/Stanford Bridge/Wembley/Upton Park?".

They prefer English football aswell.

Right now the only world class players in Italy are
Ibra, Maicon, Ronaldinho and Kaka. And I'll put Del
Piero in aswell.

As for the best goalies I would happily put Frey,
Buffon and Julio Cesar with Cech, Reina and Van
Der Sar.

It's not even about quality, though Serie A lacks that aswell,
it's more about beauty. Premiership football is better, hands down.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
when talking about beautifull eye catching football - here's my order - EPL,La Liga,Bundesliga, French League, then Italian...

now remember -i'm not talking about quality, i'm talking about beautifull footie

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
PeeJay said:

Those were the days. In the 90's Italian football was
something else but now, it's different.

I live in Italy at the moment and all people say when
I tell them I grew up in England is "Have you ever been to
Old Trafford/Stanford Bridge/Wembley/Upton Park?".

They prefer English football aswell.

Right now the only world class players in Italy are
Ibra, Maicon, Ronaldinho and Kaka. And I'll put Del
Piero in aswell.

As for the best goalies I would happily put Frey,
Buffon and Julio Cesar with Cech, Reina and Van
Der Sar.

It's not even about quality, though Serie A lacks that aswell,
it's more about beauty. Premiership football is better, hands down.
Pirlo, De Rossi, Totti, Camoranesi, Trezeguet, Chiellini, Mutu are world class too, definitivly

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
If we are talking about quality of football and the 'beautiful game' la liga takes it hands down, easily.

I dont know how someone can say premier league because alot of teams STILL play route in football/predictable football whereas in spain, the football is very technical and pretty. The spain vs england was a perfect example of the types of football played by each country.

As for the best league, seria A is still a top league but without it has declined behind the premier leage and la liga in recent times but it could be on its way back.

Some world class players are moving there aswell as managers so it could bring its profile up again and people would go there again.

pz!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts