Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be in the hunt for an unprecedented 5 titles in one season is truly special. For twenty years now we have had virtually unbroken success after success. To know that the special post christmas period is full of excitement and really meaningful games.To have nights like tonight when the buttocks are clenching days before the game begins.To be at the sharp end during April and May.This is a very special drug indeed and we are incredibly fortunate to be able to get our fix on such a regular basis.
It was not always like this as many will remember.One of my mates is hugely knowledgeable about all matters footie and has gone to all Swindons games since he was a nipper. His football diet is but bread and water when compared to the steak and caviar treats that we get served on a regular basis. When I start talking Utd to him his eyes glaze over and you can see him turn visibly green from the neck up.But he is no less of a fan than me---its just that his team isnt serving up the Haute Cuisine that we have become accustomed to.Not for us a good year being mid-table mediocrity--Oh no!
As fans we should savour these moments and be thankful that the board kept faith with SAF. Who knows,we may have had to wait another 20 years for the wheel to turn so favourably--or maybe not at all---what a frightening thought.
Yes folks its squeaky bum time------the best time in the football calendar. With a potential for the best fix of all---WINNING. Whatever happens though lets not forget that to be here so regularly is a privilege afforded to few---we are indeed the lucky ones.

·
Banned
16,798 Posts
Why would the Swindon guy be any less of a fan? I doubt any of us would think that so I don't really see the need in that line. he followed the team when things have been bad and good. The guy deserves credit.

I think we're all very lucky but United success is probably here to stay. Football is won alot of the time through money. United are a worldwide brand, they have huge interntional support. We will always sell jerseys and merchandise. I think it would take a disastrous sitaution for us to be faced with mid-table. I can't see it happening for years.

I however, would support United through thick and thin. Relegation and not being the very best might be just some things we might have to face in the distant future. won't in any way change my support or love for United.

Nice post btw.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
i remember all too easily my younger days when i supported utd for 16 years before they won the league :frown: most of my mates were liverpool fans and i had the urine extracted daily but i was always adament next season would be utds year :D.
once in primary school the dinner ladies made us a football pitch cake with liverpool 5 utd 0 written across it so i took the girls pink cake instead :mf_tongue: , the point is in those days liverpool were the kings and its now almost 20 years since they last won it and although football has changed a bit because of all money involved its still possible for a very big club to go some time without winning the big ones and we should still cherish the moments :first: , it does seem a bit boring sometimes because we have got so used to success but us older guys know giants can sleep 26 bloody years my scouse pals tell me :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah fingers crossed. People like you look at supporting
a team as an investment and look back thinking "Good thing
I chose United, imagine if I had chosen Liverpool how gloryless
I would be". And don't bother answering, you're losing this debate.
I think you need to change your prescription.Either that or you havent bothered to read the post.I can remember supporting United in the dark days of the second division and suffering during Liverpools lengthy run of success.Truly horrible.The last twenty years have brought us non stop crunch games and huge moments to enjoy.Had the Board not stuck with SAF that might not have happened.Dont take the sort of success we have had for granted---believe me we are damned lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.