Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dates for United's home league games with Wigan and Fulham have now been confirmed.

The Reds will entertain Steve Bruce's men on Wednesday 14 January, kick-off 20:00 GMT. The game has been moved due to United's participation in the Club World Cup in Japan later this month.

However, should either club be involved in an FA Cup 3rd round replay, then a new date will need to be found for the game.

Fulham will now travel to Old Trafford on Tuesday 17 February, kick-off 20:00 GMT. The Cottagers had been due in Manchester at the end of August, but United's involvement in the UEFA Super Cup saw the match postponed.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6623721
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
getting sick of all these night kick offs.
seem to have more of them than 3pm kick offs(obviously thats not hard though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
wouldn't it be better if all fa cup ties were decided on the day with extra time and penalties if needed , it would help most teams with a backlog of games and the ties would be more exciting and there would be more shock results.i think everybody would benifit why can't the fa see sense and change their dated methods the fans already cough up too much and replays are an added burden.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
sweet fa said:
wouldn't it be better if all fa cup ties were decided on the day with extra time and penalties if needed , it would help most teams with a backlog of games and the ties would be more exciting and there would be more shock results.i think everybody would benifit why can't the fa see sense and change their dated methods the fans already cough up too much and replays are an added burden.
It makes sense from our point of view but in the earlier rounds, when non-league and lower division teams are involved, earning a money-spinning replay against one of the big boys is not only seen as a minor victory for that club but also a financial lifeline.

As for the date changes, thanks for letting us know marty. I'll have to book my place on the coach trip for those 2 games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
due to work, difficult for me n my other half to do week nights at the moment so always a pain when we get matches moved from weekends to those days.only going to be able to do 3 or 4 weeknight matches this season and there have been lods of them with more to come
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
reddwarf said:
It makes sense from our point of view but in the earlier rounds, when non-league and lower division teams are involved, earning a money-spinning replay against one of the big boys is not only seen as a minor victory for that club but also a financial lifeline.

As for the date changes, thanks for letting us know marty. I'll have to book my place on the coach trip for those 2 games.

i can also see your point of view but i do believe more non league and lower league teams would progress a little further in straight knock out games , so more financial lifelines could be on offer to these teams.little teams only get one real chance of beating a big team so give them the extra 30 minutes and the lottery spot kicks :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
sweet fa said:
wouldn't it be better if all fa cup ties were decided on the day with extra time and penalties if needed , it would help most teams with a backlog of games and the ties would be more exciting and there would be more shock results.i think everybody would benifit why can't the fa see sense and change their dated methods the fans already cough up too much and replays are an added burden.
And make the FA Cup mroe like the League Cup? No thanks.

Replays have always been a part of the FA Cup.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Blackburn home and WHU away moved


Blackburn Home, now at 5.30 on the saturday

West Ham Away now at 4pm on the Sunday

.
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
Stephen said:
And make the FA Cup mroe like the League Cup? No thanks.

Replays have always been a part of the FA Cup.
Couldn't agree more. The '99 semi-final replay is the best game I've ever seen in my opinion.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
United's fixture list for early 2009 has been amended again today following the selection of two games for live TV coverage.

Close on the heels of Fulham and Wigan being rearranged, there's a new date for West Ham away and a new kick-off time for Blackburn at home.

West Ham v United, originally Saturday 7 February will now be played on Sunday 8 February at 16:00 GMT. The match will be shown live on Sky.

United v Blackburn will still be played on Saturday 21 February but it kicks off at 17:30 GMT for broadcast by Setanta.

The previous fixture news tidied up two postponements caused by this month's Club World Cup in Japan and last August's excursion to Monaco for the Super Cup. Wigan come to Old Trafford on Wednesday 14 January and Fulham follow on Tuesday 17 February.

So while the Christmas Day league table will show two games in hand for United, these games will have been played by mid-February, making the state of the title race much clearer.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6623782

 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top