Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people think this is a foregone conclusion but I can see this possibly being a draw. Wigan are always up for it, and we have always underestimated them. They have come close on a couple of occasions and its not the away win favourite that a lot think. So saying, it's possibly the game where Wayne can get back on the goal trail.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thanks to Rooney playing a blinder (according to Saha) we won it comfortably in the end but it needed a strong second half performance. Delighted with the 3 points. Ole, Saha and Vidic finding the net after Wigan took the lead.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great second half. Poor decisions by the referree especially the penalty that was due but wasn't given for the foul incurred by Ryan Giggs. And what about those challenges - Rio was carded in the first half but tackles which Stevie Wonder would term deserving a yellow card at least were simply ignored. An uncharacteristic and unfortunate lack of form from Mr. Benett.

One player makes so much of a difference! We play best when we have wingers, so having Ronaldo + Park not starting, Giggsy @ 50% pre-match and only Richardson as a possible LM / LW, left me a little worried. I must admit that hearing the half-time whistle being blown was a relief. My spirits however soared when SAF made the change.

And how about 20LEgend? He deserves every goal he gets. A goal reminiscent of the sublime skills that he's showed throughout his career.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We played really well in the second half yesterday and in the end we deserved the win, Although it did look like we wasn't even going to get a point in the first half. I feel that Scholes should have charged down the free kick because he was so close to the player.

I was impressed with the perseverance of Utd and thought we would eventually get back into it. Players like Rooney, Ole and Giggs were the keys for us. Hopefully after a good game Rooney can start scoring in the Champs league match. Good header from Vidic even though the Wigan defense were really bad, The Saha goal was fantastic and just showed how athletic Saha is and Ole just put the icing on the cake for us. So glad we came back and got all three points in the end.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not blame the Wigan defence for our first goal, Vidic climbed so high for that header, their defenders never really stood a chance. AND - we actually scored from a corner - how long is it since we did that?

Scholes did charge down the free kick, but his mind is now quicker than his reactions. He knew what he wanted to do but his body is slower now. Also, by charging down the free kick so "slowly" I think he may have unsighted VdS.

Giggs, who I am not really a big fan of since his crosses became less accurate and his losing the ball all too frequently in the area, played really well for 45 minutes and he did make a difference.

Ronaldo would have ripped that defence apart and we could have seen an altogether different game if he had been playing. We will never know.

Vidic also looked solid at the back. But, as I saw only highlights, these are only the impressions I got from those highlights.

Louis Saha is looking better and better up front, could have had at least three. This is what he needed, a decent run out in the team, which he has never had before.

If Ruud had stayed with us I think he would have been back to his best this season with Ronaldo playing so well, providing crosses, Rooney supplying and Giggs fit. Again, we will never know.

Next up is Liverpool, an entirely different proposition but a result I am confident will go our way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know Vidic got up well, But the defence didn't really mark him that well and let him have the header. I think Scholes should have either blocked the shot or not bothered because it may have affected VDS's vision but atleast we recovered from the goal that we let in and thats all that matters. All in all it was a very good win for us coming back from 1-0 down and winning 3-1.

Louis Saha as you said should have had atleast 3 goals if not more. Also i was hoping Rooney would get off the mark but maybe after his good game yesterday he will score against Liverpool next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.