Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rooney's only one yellow card away from a Champions League suspension this season so if he gets booked tomorrow he'll miss the Champions League final. Do you think Fergie will risk him or keep him on the bench?

I personally would like to see him play. I do think we can beat Arsenal with Ronaldo/Tevez/Berbatov, but Rooney has a great record of scoring against arsenal and always seems to play well against them.

I'd rather get to the final without Rooney than go out in the semi final cos Rooney didn't start. I think he's worth the risk. Plus Fergie usually doesn't let this affect his judgement. Roy Keane started against Juventus and of course missed the final. I think Scholes was on his last booking last season Vs. Barca but he still played.

I reckon he'll start, what do you think?

·
Registered
573 Posts
maybe starting him to get that away goal that i think will see us in the final and then bring him off so he can play final would be better idea, like u said Keane was on a yellow and he played him and same with Scholes last season so yes i think he will be risked, but if we are 2-0 up they will need 4 and i think thats the time to bring him off

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I've said this in the matchday thread.
If Rooney doesn't start, we are decreasing our chances before the ball is even kicked.
Rooney has to start, just because he is one booking away from a yellow card should not stop Fergie starting him. I think Rooney is our most important player, When he plays we always tend to play better.
We need to start our best 11, preferably the 11 that started against Arsenal in the 1st Leg.
We don't have to win the game but we will still have to work hard to get through to the Final.

There's no point leaving Rooney on the bench, only to bring him on when we fall behind. Then the question will be, what would have happened had we started Wayne?

There's a slight risk to it but Rooney has to start tomorrow.
But it wouldn't suprise me if Fergie did start him on the bench.

·
Registered
93 Posts
maybe starting him to get that away goal that i think will see us in the final and then bring him off so he can play final would be better idea, like u said Keane was on a yellow and he played him and same with Scholes last season so yes i think he will be risked, but if we are 2-0 up they will need 4 and i think thats the time to bring him off
I absolutely agree. Rooney has to start because we need to score. If things are looking good----then and only then take him off. The priority is to get to the final.

·
23,699 Posts
I don't think Fergie will put the leash on Rooney just for the final. It does not seem to be his style to do such a 'negative' thing. Besides, Rooney will most probably have to play on the left wing again to assist Evra to contain Walcott.

I am highly confident Rooney will be mindful enough not to commit any reckless challenge... as long as we are holding the advantage. :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I seriously dont think its sir alex problem to worry about risking Rooney, i think its down to Rooney himself. If he thinks he wants to play in the final then he should know what to do. Its all up to him to control his temper. Yeah granted with the ref we have currently, we can never know what more when its rooney but rooney is on form right now and we need him in the team especially when we take one game at a time. If i have a choice, i go with zuco and the least put rooney on the bench and only put him on when we need him the most. But i dont think sir alex will do that.

Life is as it is..there is no win win situation and full of gambles. If the worst we have to play without him in the final, that is something we have to worry later after tomorrow game. But then again, we've been thru such occasion before where rooney misses some big games, in such cases, im more than sure Sir alex will know what to do. Well atleast getting to the final is always better than just getting to the semis :p

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
i am more worried about Evra's yellow tbh.
as a striker( or winger ) its easier to avoid an yellow card if you really want to. he has to keep his mouth shut and to avoid tackles from behind, in counter-attack situations.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i am more worried about Evra's yellow tbh.
as a striker( or winger ) its easier to avoid an yellow card if you really want to. he has to keep his mouth shut and to avoid tackles from behind, in counter-attack situations.
But Evra is still injured no?? The last time i checked there are still huge doubt over him playing tomorrow so if that is the case and he miss tomorrow match, he will only have the final (if we go thru) to play in which it isnt so bad.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Of course Rooney will play!! Hes the centre piece of our play,he IS Man Utd......He could get sent off in the final so the risk the same.We all know his jekyl and hyde attitude,but im sure Rooney knows exactly what lies ahead for us and will not be jepordising it on rash challenges.he'll leave that to Scholesy!!

·
23,699 Posts
Of course Rooney will play!! Hes the centre piece of our play,he IS Man Utd......He could get sent off in the final so the risk the same.We all his sttitude,but im sure Rooney knows exactly what lies ahead for us and will not be jepordising it on rash challenges.he'll leave that to Scholesy!!
Scholesy is unlikely to play if resting Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson for the Boro game was anything to go by.

·
23,699 Posts
It was just a point that scholsey does alot worse/late challenges than Wazza mate, I dont expect the ginger assasin to start but.meh
Ok.

Debatable on their challenges though. While Scholes is infamous for late challenges, Rooney was fortunate to escape punishment when entangled with a Boro player, he was suspicious of stamping (?) or the likes.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
we all know exactly what wayne's attitude is like. can you imagine the gaffer telling him he'll have to sit this one out because there is too much risk of a booking? rooney is at the top of his game, and needs to be given the responsibility to play his game and try to get us through. it's a risk that has to be taken. imagine if fergie had left keano out in 1999. one of his greatest ever performances, and he missed the final. no brainer for me, but for sure take him off if we are a goal up after an hour or so

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.