Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really disappointed to see so many Manchester United fans critise the teams performance tonight. We've seen many moments of genius from Ferguson over the years and many of you are already doubting him tonight.

Does anyone remember what happened in Milan in the away leg? We were played off the park. Completely out played and sent home without a final to play in. We got our plan wrong that night and Ferguson has definately learnt the lesson and knows to get through these away games you cannot play too aggressively.

I'm not at all surprised at how defensively we played and how little we committed forward. If Milan had scored one or two goals the job at OT would have been impossible as it is fairly likely they will get an away goal. We are in an extremely positive situation now, we will attack Barca at OT. Our form at OT is incredible, we shall score at home, we are favourites to win the match, and therefore now the tie.

Yes, some of our passing wasn't colourful tonight and in areas we should have done better but we completed what we set out to do, keep a clean sheet. Does the passing matter now? No. We have done what was needed. As for Ronaldo playing upfront and Rooney out wide. Many (in my opinion clueless fans) have been complaining about this as well. This plan complimented our tactic of playing defensive football.

Let me explain...

If we were to score tonight, playing as defensively as we did, it was either going to come from

1) a set piece or

2) a route one pass (long ball).

To which, you'd need someone with explosive pace such as Ronaldo to run onto the pass and get a shot in. Rooney cannot do that job as he doesn't have the pace. He may not have been as effective on the left as he can be in other games but with this game plan in mind Ronaldo as more suited to the task. Also lets remember Rooney may have been injured. He looked in pain against Blackburn.

The only negatives i can out of our performance tonight is that the passing wasn't great and our ball possession was not as high as it could have been. But it is hard to keep the ball when you are playing inside your own half as the game is not strechted and there are not many areas to move the ball to. Our game plan was absolutely spot on and whats more is, it worked.

I'd be far happier being in this situation than being 3-0 down like what happened against Milan. We'll see a totally different game plan and United at OT in my opinion. Ferguson got it right, some of the players didn't play as well as they could have done but the correct strategy was there. I think tonight was another moment of genius from Ferguson and hopefully i'll be proved right by a fine performance in the next leg.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just worry though that they may get a away goal because down though the years it has cost us big time not getting a away goal, but the team know that they have to win on the night so there can be no exuses if we did go out.

Let's not forget that there was a bug going around the team and that may have been part of the factor that we played poor, its in are own hands now because we are at home in the 2nd leg.

I so want to win the champions league this season and it would be a shame if we missed out, it would make my year if we got to the final and won it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm with RichardsReds on this one. So many of our own supporters, yet alone neutrals, were criticizing our team. Think about things logically here. We went to Barcelona, played them in Camp Nou with our makeshift defense, and survived everything they threw at us: Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Krkic, Iniesta, etc. We kept a clean sheet, and now have a great opportunity to advance. Plus, you must realize that we are probably keeping one eye on Chelsea this weekend, right? We played conservative at Barcelona, so we can go into the game at The Theatre of Dreams knowing exactly what we must do to advance to Moscow. But now for Barcelona the tables are turned. If they couldn't score in Barcelona, they'll find it even more difficult to do it at Old Trafford.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
madrid-monaco and dortmond all teams that knocked us out over the years after we thought we had done well away from home by getting clean sheets/draws . my concern is how we suddenly switch through the gears to attack mode again . we were poor against bburn and worse against barca , how much vidic dropping out affected the game plan we will not know

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Great post richard there are loads of people on here who havent got a clue what there talking about we played well and come away with a result we can be happy with

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Does anyone remember what happened in Milan in the away leg? We were played off the park. Completely out played and sent home without a final to play in. We got our plan wrong that night and Ferguson has definately learnt the lesson and knows to get through these away games you cannot play too aggressively.
mate - it was excactly the same type of a match in Milan- only the difference is that milan scored with their first 2 shots at goal and 3rd on a counter attack.So Barcelona's inability to score has nothing to do with ourselves maturing or so.SAF took the phrase "cattenaccio " all wrong. You won't see Italian side playing like that . They would defend but in the same moment they would be able to string 3-4 passes before crossing it into the box . I'm angry Richards - I'm happy with the result but angry with the performance. We were lucky that Barca are a wasted team with no pace and slow ball distribution ! Had that been Chelsea or Liverpool we would have been opened up - I'm sure about that ! I'm angry because of one more reason - we consider ourselves to play the most beautifull football in the world - what will I say when an Arsenal fan tells me that THEY play the most beautifull football and shows me this match as an example ? I will say - hats off

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
abojodeh said:
the performance sucks and ronaldo missed a penilty that would sended us directly to moscow
How does scoring a penalty send you directly to Moscow :confused:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wonderful post too Richard !!!

I hope a few people read this and think again !!!

Great result for United !!!

Barca wont be happy going to Old Trafford needing a goal !!!

I'm glad I follow United and not Barca anyway, lmao.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
when did this thread be abou carly eating humans!!!
anyway
great post richard....
i was surprised when rooney was put out wide and ronaldo was put in strike...rooney didnt have a good game but ronaldo had a decent game up front.....except for the missed penalty ronnie was quite good IMO....
scholes was good too...he tackled quite well and his passing was decent..
we were tryin to be clever in our passes and it didnt work....
and now that we have not conceded any goals and we are going to OT...there is nothing much to be scared about.....

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
abojodeh said:
i9 guess goal away = 2 goals in the aggre gate
Yes but one penalty doesn't count double, unless the aggregate score is a draw !

It wont send them directly to Moscow either !

What if Ronnie scored the penalty ...

And then Barcelona scored ten ?

Oh dear ... :eek:

abojodeh said:
she is scary :( am afraid she eats humen flesh and kids RUN IT IS CARLY :p
WHAT !!!

For God's sake ... What is that supposed to mean ?

Don't answer in fact, I don't have time for this nonsense ... :mad:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
As I've mentioned on another thread, if the penalty had gone in then the gameplan would have worked perfectly because we would have had a 1-0 lead to defend and a crucial away goal.

However, 0-0 gives hope to both teams and should make for a more exciting game in the 2nd leg. Both teams know they have to score to progress and United know they need to score at least 1 more than Barca.

I was expecting a draw in the Nou Camp - Barca may be going through a tough patch but they are very difficult to beat at home - but I wasn't expecting it to be 0-0!

Game on!

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the penalty had gone in, i feel Barca may have upped their tempo even more and we would definately have conceeded and perhaps lost the match as well.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
RichardsReds said:
If the penalty had gone in, i feel Barca may have upped their tempo even more and we would definately have conceeded and perhaps lost the match as well.
i agree...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Yes but one penalty doesn't count double, unless the aggregate score is a draw !

It wont send them directly to Moscow either !

What if Ronnie scored the penalty ...

And then Barcelona scored ten ?

Oh dear ... :eek:

WHAT !!!

For God's sake ... What is that supposed to mean ?

Don't answer in fact, I don't have time for this nonsense ... :mad:
calm down carly.... he was replying on my comment at your avatar... peace...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Possibly, or it may have dented their already fragile confidence and we would have won the game. Either way I'd have preferred to have left the Nou Camp with an away goal.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i 100% agree with that first post and im really proud of my lads
only other thing im disapointed with is the penalty
i know its just going to come back and haunt us

RichardsReds said:
aye but then there would of been more space for counter

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Eh...let's get one thing straight:

Although I have no crystal ball or any god-like omnipotence, I am quite sure Barca would have gone all-out against us, IF Ronaldo had scored that penalty in the 2nd minute of the game.

With Brown partnering Rio in Vidic's absence, I don't think we would have coped.
So in retrospect, it was a good result.

(Do you feel a "however" coming up)

However, our inability to pass the ball was unbelievably shoking. Carrick never found his range and none of the midfielders (including Scholesy whom everybody is loving) made themself available whenever one of the defenders had the ball, leaving the back 4 to knock it long. Time and time again it went straight back to Barca. And whenever we had the ball, they would close us down much faster than vice versa.

Rooney seemed to play on the left and Park on the right, with Cristiano stranded up front.

Even Fergie said he was disappointed at the way the team gave away the ball.

Is this is a good result? Yes it is! Good performance? You must be freaking joking!

It was a horrible performance. Great teams can defend well AND turn defence into offence in a blink of the eye.

Our inability to so against the BIG teams in Europe over the past ...ah what am I tlaking about.... FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER... is very worrying.

I'm happy at the result, disappointed with the performance. No blame on Ronaldo, even greats like Baggio missed penalties and even more important ones than that.

How much did we miss Anderson and Vidic? A lot! and I pray they play against Chelsea and Barca!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
RFR

You're right - our defensive display was excellent but our attacking play was dreadful. Playing long balls up to Ronaldo was never going to produce much and when we did keep the ball on the floor we rarely managed to string a few passes together.

We were continuously outnumbered in midfield with Messi and Eto'o both dropping back at times, which meant Tevez had to do the same and Ronaldo was left totally isolated.

On the few occasions when we did break forward poor decisions were made. Carrick should have squared the ball instead of shooting with his weaker foot into the side netting and I remember Ronaldo trying a flicked pass that just went straight to the opposition. Rooney and Park spent the majority of the game in our half and never really contributed anything in attack.

We all know it'll be a different story at Old Trafford though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts