Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Mark this post for future reference ,Fellaini will never reach the standard required to replace Carrick unless we are willing to accept a massive downgrade in performances and results . Jones and Cleverley are better equipped imho . That was £27m down the drain ,literally .
Only time will decide

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Portuguese newspaper A Bola runs the headline, ' Mourinho awakens to William Carvalho',

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bye bye carvalho
Sporting’s president gives United green light to sign €45m midfielder in January

Sporting Lisbon’s President Bruno de Carvalho has admitted that while the club are in a strong position to not sell players on the cheap, they are willing to listen to ‘very good proposals’.

This puts Manchester United in a strong position to negotiate for 21-year-old midfielder William Carvalho who has been watched by United scouts on more than one occasion this season.

Carvalho, who has a €45 million release clause, only broke into Sporting’s first team this year but has had a profound impact domestically and was rewarded with his debut for Portugal in their World Cup play-off clash against Sweden for the last 20 minutes.

Speaing to Renascneca, Carvalho insisted that Sporting were happy with the squad but left the door firmly open for an offer to come in.

“We are pleased and well-balanced. Sporting no longer need to do what we do not want, but we are a developing club,” he said.

“If there is a very good proposal for Sporting that does not undermine our performance, [the player] can leave.”

Over the weekend, strong rumours emerged from Portugal that Sporting were looking to secure full ownership of Carvalho to make any potential move easier and Bruno de Carvalho’s comments certainly indicate that Sporting are happy to let him leave if the right offer comes in.

It is unlikely that a fee of €45 million would be needed to lure Carvalho from Sporting and the fact that their president has indicated they are willing to listen to offers puts United and other clubs in a stronger position when negotiating.

Source: http://thepeoplesperson.com/sportings-president-gives-united-green-light-to-sign-e45m-midfielder-in-january/

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ronaldo advises best newcomer Carvalho as United increase their interest in midfielder

William Carvalho has been awarded the newcomer of the year award by Sporting Lisbon after his breakthrough season in Portugal.

The 21-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United after David Moyes repeatedly sent scouts over to watch him in action and although he has a €45 million release clause, interest is certainly building in him from United.

In Portugal’s crucial World Cup play-off against Sweden, Carvalho made his debut for the national side alongside Ronaldo as his progress continued this season, someone who he admits gave him advice on his future.

“Ronaldo gave me advice,” he said.

“He was really helpful and humble. It’s a dream to share a dressing room with him.”

Ronaldo himself made the move from Sporting Lisbon himself back in 2003 and Moyes needs to bring in some midfield reinforcement to improve the squad, so Carvalho could well move to Old Trafford.

He also spoke to Sporting Lisbon’s official magazine this week and admitted that he had ambitions to move to a big European club in the future.

“I’m sure I’ll continue to develop as a footballer if I keep up the hard work,” he said.

“I’ll never leave for an European club unless I know I’m good enough. At the moment I feel good at SCP. It’s here I want to be.

“Every footballer have the desire of playing at the best possible level. So do I.

“I’ve always dreamed of representing Sporting and I’ll never play for a different Portuguese club.”

Although his release clause is €45 million, Carvalho would likely leave Sporting Lisbon for less than that should a big European club come in with an offer and given how much United need another midfielder in the squad, Old Trafford could well be where he moves to.

source: http://thepeoplesperson.com/ronaldo-advises-best-newcomer-carvalho-as-united-increase-their-interest-in-midfielder/

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Isn't that tapping up?
Not really. Mourinho isn't exactly endeared to Sporting, and we're not too keen on him either. Don't expect him to get preferential treatment.
Also, Mou recently said he isn't looking at Portuguese players at the moment.

Anyway, considering how crucial William has been in our midfield this season, it's doubtful he'll leave for cheap. He scored this weekend, and was chosen MOTM by the fans.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not really. Mourinho isn't exactly endeared to Sporting, and we're not too keen on him either. Don't expect him to get preferential treatment.

Anyway, considering how crucial William has been in our midfield this season, it's doubtful he'll leave for cheap. He scored this weekend, and was chosen MOTM by the fans.
How do you compare him to Nemanja Matic ?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
How do you compare him to Nemanja Matic ?
Matic is older, and a bit more experienced in European football. I'd also think Matic is more offensive than Carvalho is at the moment, but William is much more composed defensively.
I rate William as a better overall package, since he's 4 years younger, and likely to get that much better by the time he's Matic's age.

·
23,699 Posts
Buying signals?

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-go-forward-with-move-to-sign-45m-star-midfielde

According to reports in Portugal Manchester United were again in attendance to watch Sporting Lisbon last weekend. The Premier League champions have attended a number of Sporting Lisbon games this season with the main focus being on youngster William Carvalho.

Portuguese newspaper A Bola reported that a number of teams travelled to Portugal this week to watch Sporting Lisbon defeat Pacos De Ferreira 4-0 which included the likes of Manchester United, Queens Park Rangers and Arsenal. The victory helped Sporting Lisbon to the top of the Portuguese league table which is quite a feat considering the number of youngsters manager Leonardo Jarim has promoted to the senior squad this season.

Sporting Lisbon have had to adopt this policy due to their poor financial status which has seen some of their highest earners recently leave the club. Jarim has had to place the likes of Carvalho in the first eleven since the start of season which has paid off so far on the pitch but it has also brought their young players to the attention of other clubs. Carvalho has been the stand out performer this campaign among the youngsters which has resulted in Manchester United stepping up in their interest in the midfielder.

Record revealed in October that the English side have been monitoring the player since he went on loan to Cercle Brugge last year. Manchester United sent scouts to Belgium to watch the defensive midfielder in action last season and have also been watching him closely since he returned to Portugal in the summer for the current campaign
. Carvalho is contracted to Sporting Lisbon until 2018 and has a buyout clause of €45m. Manchester United wouldn't consider meeting the termination fee especially as it is well known that Sporting Lisbon are heavily in debt and are under pressure to sell their prized assets each transfer window. Sporting recently announced positive quarterly results but they need to continue to bring transfer funds in to pay down the standing debt.

Carvalho is going from strength to strength and the Portuguese media believe it's just a matter of time before a formal offer is made for the midfielder. Manchester United are moving forward with the their interest and it would seem, from scouting records provided by Portuguese media, that Carvalho is the club's major target right now with Fernando at Porto being a back-up option.

The Portuguese media believe a move could be made for the player as soon as January but Sporting would surely prefer a summer transfer as they look to put up a challenge for the league title.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts

I mean't Mourinho "waking up" to him :p

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Carvalho is contracted to Sporting Lisbon until 2018 and has a buyout clause of 45m. Manchester United wouldn't consider meeting the termination fee especially as it is well known that Sporting Lisbon are heavily in debt and are under pressure to sell their prized assets each transfer window. Sporting recently announced positive quarterly results but they need to continue to bring transfer funds in to pay down the standing debt.
This isn't true. Although we're not in a position to reject every offer, we're not going to go for bargain offers. As an example, Monaco consistently tried to sign our keeper Rui Patricio for €10m, and they were denied every time. Also, the lengths we went to to ensure we were received our fair share after that Bruma debacle proves that we won't simply bow down to outside pressures.

I mean't Mourinho "waking up" to him :p
I'm quite sure Mou knows what he needs to know about him. Nonetheless, William isn't his typical target, he normally goes for proven players and he's not shy about spending more for them.

http://thepeoplesperson.com/manchester-united-can-sign-highly-talented-e45m-midfielder-for-cut-price-e15m/

Sporting Lisbon are willing to let 21-year-old midfielder William Carvalho leave for bids in excess of €15 million this summer according to A Bola.
I wouldn't take much stock in what the press says these days, since the only one that knows that is the president, and he's not talking about those things. This is pure speculation on their part, and the only thing I rate from recent reports is that we're trying to buy out the remaining percentage of his contract, in order to have a better bargaining position.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Moyes suffers midfielder setback as Carvalho won’t join Manchester United in January

Sporting Lisbon have ruled out the possibility of letting any players leave in January in order to help their title charge in Portugal.

For the first time in nine years, Sporting are in first place in the league and they have no intention of letting any players leave unless a ‘ridiculous offer’ is made.

The news will be a blow to David Moyes as he has been sending scouts to watch Carvalho since October and would have been thoroughly impressed by his progression all the way to being one of Sporting’s most highly rated talents.

However, Sporting decided that there will be no sales in January and that they will continue to fight for the title.

“The club is leading the division for the first time in nine years and we are determined to fight for the title.

“Only if a ridiculous offer is put in for a player will it be studied.”

If Sporting had absolutely no intention of selling Carvalho, why would they mention that a ‘ridiculous offer’ would be studied? They want to sell at the best price to help their financial troubles. Bruno de Carvalho’s words sound hollow.

The progress of 21-year-old Carvalho from first team fringe player to a guaranteed starter when fit who has since gone on to make his international debut is phenomenal in such a short space of time, something which has contributed to him being one of the most coveted young talents in Europe.

Whether he will join in January remains to be seen but it unlikely that Bruno de Carvalho’s statement will put Moyes off chasing his man if he wants him.

source: http://thepeoplesperson.com/moyes-suffers-midfielder-setback-as-carvalho-wont-join-manchester-united-in-january/

say goodbye?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts