Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news of Owen Hargreaves undergoing surgery, which will put him on the sidelines till next season is a blow, but hopefully he will be able to recover fully and go on to have a brilliant career.

The question is whether Fergie should buy a defensive-minded, commited midfielder as cover in the January transfer window?

Currently, our central midfielders are:

Carrick - Anderson
Scholes - Fletcher
Possebon - Giggs
Gibson - Hargreaves (injured)

Some names have been bandied about in other threads like:

Lorik Cana
Daniele de Rossi
Steve Appiah

IF Fergie were to move for somebody in Jan, it could reduce the games of Fletcher and Possebon, although that might not be a bad thing in Fletcher's case ;)

On the other hand, you could say that Giggs and Scholes are not the players they once were and that Possebon and Gibson are not ready to cover those positions yet.

For me, if Fergie knew that Giggsy and Scholesy were retiringin the summer than he SHOULD move for someone in the summer.

Steven Appiah would be free and seems a decent player to me - he certainly would add some bite and fight in the centre of the park.

IF Giggs & Scholes aren't retiring this summer, I would caution against, because it would create too much competition, especially when Hargreaves comes back into the fold.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Appiah is free agent we should get him

tho i wish we sign Flamini or Cana but they would be very expensive and not fully needed, also they are not Versatile like Hargro

so lets get Appiah or any other holding middy on loan

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
This was one of the first things I thought about when I heard the news. I think we have missed him so far and for him to be out even longer maybe we should buy some cover? A holding midfielder like Essien. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Lassana Diarra from pompey? He never made it at Arsenal or Chelsea but he is a class act. We have adequate cover but we just lack a holding midfielder now as I don't think that Carrick is that good there he is better as a simple CM.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
No, I dont think we should buy anyone. We will have Scholes back by then and we
have loads of midfielders: Fletch, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Possebon and O'Shea at a push.
Between that lot we should be fine in midfield.(I hope lol)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I don't think so, unless we experience more injuries by then. Wouldn't mind signing Appiah I suppose, or grabbing someone on loan.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
I don't think so, unless we experience more injuries by then. Wouldn't mind signing Appiah I suppose, or grabbing someone on loan.
Thats my concern. Why gamble? :confused:
We have proven midfielders that can do the job. We have Scholes and Carrick
who were first choice last 2 seasons when fit. We have Anderson and fletch as well.
I dont see the point in gambling. Thats why its a squad game, to compensate
for injuries.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
No. Its very unfortunate but this will now give Possebon a few more games, which he needs.

Saying that, I do think he should go on loan for 6 months so maybe a loan option too bring someone in would be ok?

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
We dont realllly need to buy someone, I think we have adequate cover...Anyway,what are we going to do when Hargo's back ? Fletcher and carrick might be able to fill in deep for games.

If anything , I'd love de Rossii
He's a beast

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Well i think if we do play possebon more it will be detrimental this season but good for his developement. Personally i would love Daniel De Rossi to join us, i think hes the closest thing out there to Roy Keane; however he would cost a fortune. A clever buy might be Lassana Diarra, who a few people knock on here but i think they are probably making judgements without really seeing too much of him.

Shame about Hargreaves though, bet he's gutted.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I don't think so.

We have Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Park (he played there for PSV at times) and O'Shea, if we were really struggling. If we were to sign anyone, I'd go for Appiah. We'll be able to get him right now, since hes a free agent and he'd be the best bet.

However, my choice would be not to sign anyone.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man United join race to sign Witsel

EXCLUSIVE: Man United join race to sign Witsel as Standard Liege price tag puts off Bolton
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1084857/EXCLUSIVE-Man-United-join-race-sign-Witsel-Standard-Liege-price-tag-puts-Bolton.html?ITO=1490

Manchester United have joined the chase for Axel Witsel after Sir Alex Ferguson sent one of his top scouts to watch the teenage midfielder in UEFA Cup action last week.

The United manager has been alerted to growing interest in Witsel and may now join the bidding for him after studying a report on another impressive performance in Standard Liege's 1-0 win over Sevilla last Thursday.

Sportsmail can reveal that United and Inter Milan were both represented at the game but that Bolton's hopes of landing the 19-year old for £6million have been dashed after they were told it would take at least twice as much to prise him away.

Sources at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne claim Bolton have enquired about Witsel's availability, and indicated a willingness to pay 7.5million euros (£6.11m), following interest from a host of Barclays Premier League clubs, headed by Manchester City, Middlesbrough and Arsenal.

Manager Gary Megson may have to start looking elsewhere for January transfer targets, though, after the Belgian champions made it clear they would only consider allowing him to leave for a fee approaching the £15million Everton paid for Marouane Fellaini.

Standard bosses feel they are in a strong position after tying Witsel to a contract that runs until 2013 and forcing Everton to pay what they see as a benchmark figure for Fellaini.

Such is the interest in Witsel, who broke into Standard's starting line-up at just 17, that staff at the stadium struggled to cope with the demand for tickets from Premier League clubs for last week's Group C win.

Bolton have made the first positive move, but Middlesbrough, City and Arsenal have also watched him throughout the season after noting the way he helped Standard run Liverpool close in the Champions' League qualifying round, then eliminate Everton from the UEFA Cup.

After driving a hard bargain with Everton over Fellaini, and only relenting when the deadline-day bidding reached £15m, Standard's board are in no mood to let their latest midfield prodigy leave on the cheap.

That will not necessarily deter United, though, should Ferguson see Witsel as a ready-made replacement for Owen Hargreaves, whose Old Trafford future appears to be shrouded in uncertainty.

Witsel is described as a powerful box-to-box midfielder who started out as an anchor man but is now allowed the freedom to push forward and support his team's strikers.

S

·
0 Posts
please no more midfielders! just remember hargo will still be recieving wages so whats the point paying someone else to come in as cover for the cover players.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i don't think we should buy anyone - especially as we have so many quality midfielders

scholes

carrick

anderson

fletcher

giggs

sheasy

first 4 i mentioned are really quality players - and if we include the winning attacking combo from last season roo-tev - who did wonders to our midfiled - we shouldn't be affraid of anyone

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
piazza said:
I think giving Appiah a 6 month contract or getting someone on loan are the only realistic options.

Why spend millions on another midfield player when the prognosis is that Hargreaves will be fit and healthy for the start of next season?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
manutd004 said:
I don't think so.

We have Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Park (he played there for PSV at times) and O'Shea, if we were really struggling. If we were to sign anyone, I'd go for Appiah. We'll be able to get him right now, since hes a free agent and he'd be the best bet.

However, my choice would be not to sign anyone.

its not about quantity its the quality in centre midfield that is causing the problems we need a midfielder who can carry the ball forwards and score a few {due to age and talent issues none of the mentioned can't do it to the required standards at present }.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
^ was that posted before or after Carrick's cracker?

Steven Appiah would be an interesting option I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts