Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
the u.s. womens national team has done a lot of good for soccer here in the states, these girls kick some major butt ,and i watch them all the time,started since the days of mia hamm. our ladies are on lots of commercials and this is sad to say but they are more recognized than our mens team.lol

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Balrog

reddwarf said:
Football is seen as a predominantly female sport in the United States. England's best player (Kelly Smith) went over there to play at one point because they have the best female football league in the World.
i disagree that soccer is seen as predominantly female sport a little. fergie made
a comment on why soccer hasnt flurished well in america, it was smart, he felt
it doesnt do well because distance between clubs, no rivalries.

i think american NFL is just so huge that atheletes become bombarded with big
names that we get tunnel vision. the hope would be that with all the scandals
of drugs in the sport and bad decisions of players,soccer may become more attractive for the young? :) i played at high level in cali for 10 years in 70's when
best,pele and beckenbaur were there, soccer was pretty big in cali at that time and i wished more players from europe kept coming, but it slipped away.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Balrog

reddwarf said:
In schools do boys or girls play soccer in America? Over here we have very few girls teams and almost every public school has a boys team.

My understanding was that boys teams have only recently started to be formed at school level in America.
when i went to school mostly boys teams in america, but thats a while ago!:)
honestly from watching local news here in florida , american football dominates,but
soccer is problable equal in elementary and highschool.

im guessing that maybe in college, girls have more teams?

but i still feel that the game is still recognized as tough here, more boy like.
i could be wrong?:)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
after watching most of the first round, i am impressed by the north korean team the most, they are extremely technical and passing looks like mens second division
team. they have good chance to take that group which is the toughest .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.