41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Keano! said:
Are only "World-Class" player is Wayne Rooney

World-Class covers areas not only in skill terms, but mental ability, physique,
detirmination, and many more.

To me Ronaldo isnt a world class player, yet.

As for the rest, they're all briliant, although World Class is not a catogary I'd set
them in.

Its a phrse thrown about far too much, and it takes it away from players who
really are "World-Class"

Scholes, Rio and Edwin are also name that spring to mind.

Whenever, Ronaldo performs on the European stage, I'll call him world class;)
I've never seen a post where i disagree with everything said until now. Do people forget that Ronaldo is top scorer in the Champions League. His performances in big games aren't as good as they could be but how Rooney is a world class player and Ronaldo isn't is crazy. Rooney has not been that great this season, I think Tevez has been better in all honesty. If Ferdinand is not world class then no defender will be.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Keano! said:
I'm not saying Ronny's not brilliant, but is he World Class?

Pele/Maradona/Best.......He's on the road to becoming one, but that path hasn't
ended to me. He's still learning, and each season seems to cutsome of his bad
habits out.

He will be the World's best player in a season or two.......:rolleyes:
I understand what you're getting at but he's going to be crowned world player of the year this year... he has areas of his game he needs to improve .. i believe rooney is the best in the world but regardless ronaldo is world class!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
I've never seen a post where i disagree with everything said until now. Do people forget that Ronaldo is top scorer in the Champions League. His performances in big games aren't as good as they could be but how Rooney is a world class player and Ronaldo isn't is crazy. Rooney has not been that great this season, I think Tevez has been better in all honesty. If Ferdinand is not world class then no defender will be.
exactamundo!

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
eoininho said:
I understand what you're getting at but he's going to be crowned world player of the year this year... he has areas of his game he needs to improve .. i believe rooney is the best in the world but regardless ronaldo is world class!

God, I'm not out on a Ronaldo bashing run here, but if you call George Best and Pele "World Class", then Ronaldo is not.

Of course hes been amazing this season and is deserving of the awards he seems to have already won.

I just have this thing about the term "World Class".

Would it make you all feel beter if I called him,
Outstanding/Unbelievabe/Fantastic/Awesome?

BTW, sorry for giving my view!

Oh, wait, thats what this forum is for doing, expressing opinions. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Keano! said:
God, I'm not out on a Ronaldo bashing run here, but if you call George Best and Pele "World Class", then Ronaldo is not.

Of course hes been amazing this season and is deserving of the awards he seems to have already won.

I just have this thing about the term "World Class".

Would it make you all feel beter if I called him,
Outstanding/Unbelievabe/Fantastic/Awesome?

BTW, sorry for giving my view!

Oh, wait, thats what this forum is for doing, expressing opinions. Sheesh! :rolleyes:
your making a good argument, but you're comparing him to the 3 greatest players of all time,,, of course hes not in their league but no1 today is, world class in my opinion means you're up there with the best in your field CURRENTLY.. and by that description I believe Ronaldo is world class,,, if world class means you have to be as good as pele and best then there are no world class players today!!

and you're absolutely right to argue your point! I'm given a lot of stick for my Carrick and nani bashing!

I think you need to stop watching too much Eamon Dunphy!!!!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
-zuco- said:
I have to seriously question whether you have watched a football match...ever :confused:

van der Sar is still one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership...and
the world. Hes had a few dodgy games and suddenly he's not world class?

Tevez has been as good as Rooney this season and has actually scored
more goals, but you rate Rooney as world class? Tevez is still in his first
season at united and has done exceptionally well, always producing the
goals in the big games where it matters most.

You are right, I have never watched a single game of football *slapshead*

Ok....you deserve better than sarcasm.

Rooney has not had the best of seasons, but I would daresay he is a better player than Tevez. Rooney the last two seasons was a better player than Tevez at West Ham last season and Man Utd this season. Has he scored vital goals? Yes? Is he world class? No.

Why is he not world class? Because in his position, if you are talking about world class strikers, there are plenty in front of him in terms of speed, strength, finishing, aerial ability, positioning, running with the ball, decision-making. And I would say that Wayne would sneak in to most people's top 10 list of best strikers and Tevez would not. Maybe he would sneak into a top 15 or a top 20 list.

Rooney has not had a great season, but Wayne Rooney on form is better than Tevez on form. That's my opinion

Let me make it clear, tevez is awesome. I just think Rooney is more awesome.
And slightly less ugly ;) ....and better hair...... and doesn't celebrate with a dummy in his mouth.

And this is my opinion and I happen to watch football a lot, so there's no need to exaggerate, just because you rate Tevez. I rate him too, I just don;t think if both him and Rooney are on form that he is as good as Rooney. Plus, if I may say so, Rooney is less selfish than Tevez.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
[email protected] saying ronaldo aint world class...

if you are one of the top 3 players in the world, you're already world class.

As for mentioning him with the likes of pele/mardonna...they are all time greats...world class players yes...but many world class players are not all time greats..

If you are saying rooney is world class than ronaldo is an all time great...which he is not yet...and as good as best was, he aint no marodonna or pele.

As for my opinion

I think we have a few world class players....

I think VDS still pulls off some world class saves but i think his presence more than being world class is what puts him through matches along with his experience. In other words i think he was world class but i think he is not as good as he used to be.

Evra = world class left back at the moment

Vidic = not world class yet imo...i think as a pairing with rio they are world class but i think as an individual he is not there yet with the few world class defenders in the world.

Rio = World class imo...truely one of the most gifted defenders in the game now

Giggs = was world class winger...not anymore

Scholes = On his day world class still but i think its debatable, either way i wouldnt argue..so i'll put him down as world class because of his goal against barca,lol

carrick = no

Hargo = great defensive midfielder but world class = no

Anderson = potentially world class but not yet

Nani = who knows what his potential is, one day he can look great, the next very average...not convinced yet

Tevez = no...possibly controversial but to me he is not a world class striker...does score vital goals and works very hard but a striker is judged on his ability to score goals and his footballing ability within 90 minutes, not how much he runs...I think maybe in a year of two he will be but not yet.

Rooney = Very close to world class but not yet, i think on his day can be world class but for a striker misses wayy to many oppurtunities and still needs to improve his consistancy. Stay fit for a year or two without injuries and he will be world class....without doubt one of the better players in the Premier league however and englands best offensive player...but england aint even in euro 2008

Ronaldo = Without question worldclass...every top club i europe wants him because of that, he has won all these awards, recognised on an international stage etc...anyone who says this is not a world class players most likely has no clue what they are talking about in my opinion.

so for world class currently

Rio/evra/scholes/ronaldo

Potentially

Rooney/tevez/anderson/vidic

Were world class

Giggs/scholes...

I for one always thought neville was a solid right back but wasnt world class for his time...never can compare to the brazilian full backs and the french of his time possibly, great for united ofcourse

pz

G

·
I can't believe some of these posts. We're apparently
the best team in the world but we only have two world
class players? I find that hilarious and baffling at the same time.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
-zuco- said:

^^^i think we have 3-4 and some of the others on there day can be world class. I dont think any team really is filled with world class players. Are we the best team in the world? Well if we win the CL this year it will go some way to saying yes we are the best, but even then, i dont think it requires 11 world class players to be the best team in the world...just great team players and a few world class players.

When barcelona won the league twice and the CL everyone said they were the best team in the world which they were but they were not filled with world class players top to bottom.

I could be a little harsh but right now thats what i think,lol

pz

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
-zuco- said:
but its about team not indviduals

G

·
Natalie said:
but its about team not indviduals
Rio, Vidic, Evra, Neville (when fit), Hargreaves, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez.

There's at least eight Nat, teamwork is one thing, but we need world
class players within the team and that's exactly what we have.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, Rio, Scholes, VDS for sure imo

Vidic, Evra debatable...but will be there soon especially if they win the double this season!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
scott 4 evra said:
Spot on Scott, great post.

-zuco- said:
Its a topic that divides many. I think its down to the definition of
'world class'.

I more or less agree with your list of players. Id add Edwin to it though.
Id say we have a good 7/8 world class players if Im being honest.
I define world class as being able to get in ANY team in the world.
Therefore Vidic, Rio, Evra, Ronaldo, Vds are a shoe in.
Id add Rooney and Tevez to that. Scholes is still a world beater
(2 Barca games for eg) hargo would have a say as well.

Its all down to our interpretation of it though. There are no right and wrong
answers here.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ronaldo
Rooney
Ferdinand
Evra
Vidic
Tevez
VDS

I'm not sure we have a world class center midfielder, although Scholes is certainly up there. As mentioned before, Anderson will be one for the future without a doubt.

It would be interesting to hear what a neutural had to say on this topic because I know I certainly 'big up' United players at times, I can't help it I just do it :eek:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yeah it would be interesting to hear from a neutral.
I know we have a pool fan on here and safc of course.
Think there's also a Villa fan lurking so we need to hear from you guys......
So jump on in and join our discussion lads :)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I'd agree that Tevez is debatable.

Rooney CAN be world class when he's on form but this season he definitely hasn't

been world class and it hasn't helped that Ronaldo's form has highlighted this.

Scholes for sure even though he's getting on, more so in his prime than now.

Hargreaves I probably haven't seen enough of but I'd say not this season at any

rate. Ferdinand and Vidic I'd say yes they rate as world class defenders to me.

Evra maybe, he's arguably the best left back around at present so I'd say yes.

Finally as for Ronaldo, I honestly can't say. I mean I know his premiership form is

unstoppable, his goal scoring never stops but for me a world class player has to

dominate a match and set the tempo. Ronaldo carves up opposition and shines

through a match but he doesn't set the pace or rhythm of a match. In his defense

it's not a wingers job to do that.

Still he doesn't lift the team as such. Scoring vital goals is important but he doesn't

set up vital pieces of play. A great quote says "The mark of a world class player is

that out of every 10 balls he receives, he passes 8 on and keeps 2 for himself".

It's about bringing other players into the game. Zidane definitely had it. These

days Ronaldo does seem to be doing that more. I don't know. Maybe he is.

Maybe my standards are too high but he still seems to disappear against tough

opposition. A world class player HAS to shine at the highest levels. I'll get back to

you all after EURO 2008. If Portugal win and Ronaldo scores a hat trick in the final

we'll call him world class, but maybe my standards are a little high. Just a little.:p

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.