Manchester United Talk banner

1221 - 1240 of 1274 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
They probably weren't motivated against such weak opposition. Spain will finish in at least 4th place in Brazil. They should take to the climate better than most European nations.

Muniain and Deulofeu have been back among the goals at U21 level lately. Morata has something unique about him.
In all honesty I think we're going to win the World Cup. But they have to work on lots of things...

Deulofeu is incredible, it's true that he's pretty cocky and a bit of a little twat maybe, but Roberto Martinez, Everton and the Premier League in general are working on that... I think he's going to become an outstanding player.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222
In all honesty I think we're going to win the World Cup. But they have to work on lots of things...

Deulofeu is incredible, it's true that he's pretty cocky and a bit of a little twat maybe, but Roberto Martinez, Everton and the Premier League in general are working on that... I think he's going to become an outstanding player.
I was defending Deulofeu in the Januzaj thread recently. Huge talent.

I think a South American team will win it. I think they're all very strong nations.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Strange, apparently the voting for the Ballon D'or was done last Friday, I've heard that from a few places, yet Ronaldo just became the odds on favourite with pretty much all bookmakers.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Strange, apparently the voting for the Ballon D'or was done last Friday, I've heard that from a few places, yet Ronaldo just became the odds on favourite with pretty much all bookmakers.
I've heard rumors that voting has been re-opened until the 29th of November...Can't see why that would happen though

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Do you think Spain have become too obsessed with control and possession? I feel that they could make better use of more direct players like Pedro, Mata, Navas and even Michu, while a midfield trio of say Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets would still be more than enough to dominate possession.

Also, do you think there is a chance Juanfran could replace Arbeloa at right back? Spain's right back is often left free with teams keen to reduce space in midfield and close Alba down, I can't help but feel like a more attacking player like Juanfran could make better use of the space.
To be honest, I think so many things about Spain lately.
Starting with the goalkeeper, I like Iker, he's great and saved Spain hundreds of times, but Valdes is right now the best option available.

I think Sergio Ramos needs a HUGE wake up call. He's not performing well enough for Madrid nor for Spain. He is too focused on things appart from football. I get he has a life too, but when you have the talent and every single condition to be the best defender in the planet... I think the second CB spot is not clear. It's not for me at least, I've liked Marc Bartra more than Pique in every match he's played this year. Puyol is coming back from injury, and he's in the same case as Casillas is. Jordi Alba is still injured, we'll have to see how he comes back. About the Arbeloa situation, I totally think he CAN'T play in this team, he's not good enough to start, at least. I'd like to have him in the squad, he can be helpful when you're up, or when you're with 10 players etc, but I think Juanfran is a MUST in the squad. He's like a breath of fresh air, something totally different to Arbeloa. I think he'll go to the World Cup.

Midfield, oh god, midfield... First of all, I'm against playing a double pivot system vs weaker teams. I think Xabi Alonso is great, incredible even, but I'd like to see one between Busquets and him. And Busquets is one of my weaknesses, so... Second, I've thought about this really long, and I think Xavi should be benched more often, even to the point of not starting some games. I think he pauses the game too much, he plays too deep lately and it goes totally against what Del Bosque finds with the false 9 thing. It's difficult, I know, he's probably the best creative midfielder in the last 25 years probably... And he may prove me wrong, but it's what I feel. Second, Iniesta should get back to the form he was in two years ago, and it has to be as soon as possible. I think Cesc Fabregas should be given a lot more minutes than what he's (yeah, I might be biased here, he's my favorite player in all football). I'd like to see Thiago and Isco in the squad if they have a good season.

I'd like Spain to play a more direct type of football maybe, because it seems that rivals have studied Spain a lot lately, and also that Spains ball circulation is a lot slower than it once was (one of the reasons for me is Xavi, and the other one is playing with too much players in the middle, not opening up spaces wide, not enough movement through the middle and that even if there is movement, you need wide threat, it's pretty easy to close the spaces through the middle if you don't have to worry about people wide ((Juanfran would be great for this too)).). A static striker doesn't help too much either, makes it easier for the defender... and all three (Negredo, Llorente and Soldado) are that type of forwards.

I don't really know, I'd like to see so much people. Spain has so much to chose from... I really don't know what to say. I don't want to talk to much and criticise Spain too much, because they'll shut my mouth come June, but I'd like to see some changes. Some of the sacred players have to start losing minutes and spotlight, little by little.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just back from the England game. Don't get me started on that piss poor performance from England, but well done to all the fans who went to watch the game in the freezing weather!

·
crushed like a bug in the ground
9,195 Posts
Ronaldo is my hero. 3 top class finishes in a huge game that should wrap up the individual titles for him. It's a shame that zlatanwill miss out next year, though.

France cheating again.

I'm convinced @Peete is just trolling us all but he doesn't seem to realise the joke is rather old now.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Good post man. Want to see what I would have as a Spain XI? Well I'm going to do it anyway haha:

De Gea

Juanfran Ramos Pique Alba

Busquets
Fabregas Iniesta

Mata------------------------Pedro
Michu
I know Michu might look out of place there, but I think that while he might not be the best in any one area, he has all the dimensions needed to suit the team perfectly. He has pace and movement to capitalise on the midfield creativity, the passing game to add to the total football, and the height and heading ability to be a threat when teams play narrow and force Spain wide.

I may be slightly biased in putting De Gea over Valdes I must admit, but I think if a Barcelona 'keeper played like De Gea he would be called the best in the world.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Spain need to dump some of the older players and a couple need to be used in a more squad rotation system. This would be a great side in a couple years time.

D'Gea

Azpilicueta Ramos Bartra Alba

Thiago Fabregas

Mata/Silva Isco Iniesta

Morata
That would be a much more direct and entertaining side than the one that's currently being used.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Good post man. Want to see what I would have as a Spain XI? Well I'm going to do it anyway haha:

De Gea

Juanfran Ramos Pique Alba

Busquets
Fabregas Iniesta

Mata------------------------Pedro
Michu
I know Michu might look out of place there, but I think that while he might not be the best in any one area, he has all the dimensions needed to suit the team perfectly. He has pace and movement to capitalise on the midfield creativity, the passing game to add to the total football, and the height and heading ability to be a threat when teams play narrow and force Spain wide.

I may be slightly biased in putting De Gea over Valdes I must admit, but I think if a Barcelona 'keeper played like De Gea he would be called the best in the world.
I'm one of those deluded guys still hoping Villa gets to where he was two-three years ago and gets the chance to play left winger like he did in the previous world cup, where he single handedly put Spain in the semi-finals.... He used to offer so much, both from wide and drifting to the middle...

I will soon create a thread about Spain... Because there're so many lineups I'd like to see, that I wouldn't have enough with one page to show them all!
I'll post them all when I create the thread though.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Ronaldo is my hero. 3 top class finishes in a huge game that should wrap up the individual titles for him. It's a shame that zlatanwill miss out next year, though.

France cheating again.

I'm convinced @Peete is just trolling us all but he doesn't seem to realise the joke is rather old now.
Trolling about what exactly?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
The reason why the Euro's is a tougher competition:

Countries such as Iran, South Korea, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Algeria and Ecuador doesn't belong in such a big tournament imo.
Seeing as the best players play in european leagues, it's normal that this is a much more balanced competition, but there's great sides that would be left out, namely the two south american giants.

But didn't Platini suggest that, for Euro 2020, a few non-european teams could be invited? I read that somewhere.

Anyways, as it was probable, we qualified. Sorry, @johan, but we have a more balanced side. I wish both of us could have gotten through, instead of the French, for example, but them's the stakes...

I doubt very much we'll win it, maybe we can get to the semis again, if they play well enough. I don't like Paulo Bento, he's too rigid in his coaching, and, like people have pointed out, we miss a striker, and a playmaker as well. After Rui Costa and Deco, there's none that have come close. But most of all, we need a coach that knows how to properly motivate the players, to get the maximum he can from them. We've qualified through the playoffs for 5 or 6 of the last competitions, and even if we usually end up losing to the winner, or the losing finalist, I don't feel we've had a single tournament where they play at their best, save for Euro 2004, where they played their hearts out.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
-----------------------Valdes------------------------
-Juanfran----Ramos----Pique----Jordi Alba-
----------------------Busquets---------------------
------------Iniesta----------------Cesc------------
-----Silva/Mata----Diego Costa-------Isco----

It could be Isco, Pedro, Navas, Iniesta there and Xavi instead of Iniesta, even Cesc instead of Isco and Xavi in his place.
It could also work with Busquets and Javi Martinez playing together with Cesc higher and Iniesta instead of Isco. SAme with Busquets and Xabi Alonso playing together. Thiago can play there, Koke can play there. If Villa gets the physical tone needed can play in the right. Pedro and Navas can play in both places. I don't know, there're endless options to work with. Really difficult to choose one being Del Bosque.

@Richie and @tomcoles Opinions?

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
The whole Denmark thing. It's cool that you're patriotic and all that but come on, man. Good footballing nation with history but yeah, it's getting a bit weird.
I just support my own country. No big deal. Then all of you think I'm overrating the team and some of the players, but we're used to it. We're a small country, and nobody cares about us :)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I just support my own country. No big deal. Then all of you think I'm overrating the team and some of the players, but we're used to it. We're a small country, and nobody cares about us :)
When you said that, I immediately thought of those stupid chihuahuas, that bark and bark to try and appear bigger than they are. :D
No disrespect intended. I too, come from a small country that barks a lot about past glories, in order to appear bigger than it really is. But like you said, we support our countries, even when we know that most of the time, it won't amount for much.

1221 - 1240 of 1274 Posts