Manchester United Talk banner

1241 - 1260 of 1274 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Seeing as the best players play in european leagues, it's normal that this is a much more balanced competition, but there's great sides that would be left out, namely the two south american giants.

But didn't Platini suggest that, for Euro 2020, a few non-european teams could be invited? I read that somewhere.

Anyways, as it was probable, we qualified. Sorry, @johan, but we have a more balanced side. I wish both of us could have gotten through, instead of the French, for example, but them's the stakes...

I doubt very much we'll win it, maybe we can get to the semis again, if they play well enough. I don't like Paulo Bento, he's too rigid in his coaching, and, like people have pointed out, we miss a striker, and a playmaker as well. After Rui Costa and Deco, there's none that have come close. But most of all, we need a coach that knows how to properly motivate the players, to get the maximum he can from them. We've qualified through the playoffs for 5 or 6 of the last competitions, and even if we usually end up losing to the winner, or the losing finalist, I don't feel we've had a single tournament where they play at their best, save for Euro 2004, where they played their hearts out.
That's an interesting post.
Do you think the manager is one of the causes why you don't perform at your 100%? And isn't him a good motivator?
I don't know much about Portugal, to be honest, I haven't seen too many games after the Euro... But I found what you say interesting... I thought he did a good job in the Euro's, at least result wise... He hasn't done so good since then, though.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
When you said that, I immediately thought of those stupid chihuahuas, that bark and bark to try and appear bigger than they are. :D
No disrespect intended. I too, come from a small country that barks a lot about past glories, in order to appear bigger than it really is. But like you said, we support our countries, even when we know that most of the time, it won't amount for much.
Exactly. I don't know why I should be slaughtered for it. I know I recently have talked a lot about Bendtner, but that's the first time since I joined this forum.

Ofc we all support our own country, if we didn't - the competition wouldn't be as exciting as it is. Fortunately we also have club football though! :D

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
That's an interesting post.
Do you think the manager is one of the causes why you don't perform at your 100%? And isn't him a good motivator?
I don't know much about Portugal, to be honest, I haven't seen too many games after the Euro... But I found what you say interesting... I thought he did a good job in the Euro's, at least result wise... He hasn't done so good since then, though.
He's decent, but he's not a breakthrough kind of guy. He sticks to what he knows works, and if he doesn't have the players for it, it suffers. you look at the team you saw at 2012, it's the same one from tonight, his go to squad. And if you look at our performances in say the last decade, you see that we've been in the thick of things.

It started over 20 years, with the so called golden generation, that won 2 youth world cups in 89 and 91. The likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto shined back then, and it culminated in qualification for Euro 96, a win at the group stage, and a loss to the losing finalists, the Check Republic. In 98, we were screwed by a french jackass, because we had the audacity of trying to win against the mighty germans at their own home, and ever since then, we've been in every euro and world cup, usually getting to the semis, or losing to one of the finalists.
This tells me two things. Until we get either a someone that can properly get these players to perform in the level they can, OR we get a batch of players from the same club, that play well enough together to simply make things look easier, we'll never win.
The number of times we've lost to Spain and Germany shows me this.
Which brings me to point number two, and the reason I don't like Bento, as I didn't like Queiroz either. A national side that has the quality of players that we do should NOT HAVE TO ALWAYS QUALIFY ON THE FRACKING PLAYOFFS!!!

Euro 2008, 2nd, behind Poland.
WC 2010, 2nd, behind Denmark.
Euro 2012, 2nd, behind Denmark. ( :tongue:tongue @Peete )
WC 2014, 2nd behind Russia.

Considering that, when push comes to shove, we beat these teams, we shouldn't have to always depend on the bloody playoffs.
We always have to suffer more than we should, and it clearly shows me that under these types of managers, we'll never win a tournament, because we lack that extra bit of luck, concentration, spark, to get past the tough games.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,244
-----------------------Valdes------------------------
-Juanfran----Ramos----Pique----Jordi Alba-
----------------------Busquets---------------------
------------Iniesta----------------Cesc------------
-----Silva/Mata----Diego Costa-------Isco----

It could be Isco, Pedro, Navas, Iniesta there and Xavi instead of Iniesta, even Cesc instead of Isco and Xavi in his place.
It could also work with Busquets and Javi Martinez playing together with Cesc higher and Iniesta instead of Isco. SAme with Busquets and Xabi Alonso playing together. Thiago can play there, Koke can play there. If Villa gets the physical tone needed can play in the right. Pedro and Navas can play in both places. I don't know, there're endless options to work with. Really difficult to choose one being Del Bosque.

@Richie and @tomcoles Opinions?
Villa

Cazorla-------Silva

Iniesta Busquets

Martínez

Alba Albiol Ramos Juanfran

Casillas
I think that's a very balanced side. Albiol is back to his best after being a squad player for the past two years or so at Real Madrid. Ramos picks himself and knows Albiol's game really well. They should form a solid base, with Martínez shielding in front of them. Iniesta can join in with the attacks and drive forward from deep, while Busquets dictates the play. He has Xavi like qualities and is being given more creative responsibility as Xavi ages. The two full-backs offer good width and runs from deep. Cazorla and Silva are hugely creative, excellent in tight areas and score lots of goals for Spain. With them cutting inside and the full-backs overlapping them, Villa will have lots of support. Those two and Iniesta will be able to find his runs.

Then you've got perfect impact subs for a more direct style in Navas, Costa and Pedro.

Spain have the squad and enough varying styles to deliver another World Cup.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
You are the Danish Hitler, Peete. Propaganda and slander. Shut your whore mouth.
I'm actually quite in shock about this comment have gotten so many likes. I mean, Hitler?!?! Thanks for comparing me to the most disgraceful dictator that ever lived.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I'm actually quite in shock about this comment have gotten so many likes. I mean, Hitler?!?! Thanks for comparing me to the most disgraceful dictator that ever lived.
Since he was talking about propaganda, Goebbels would have been a better comparison. But @Owenzy is just like a typical troll, automatic go-too comment with hitler... ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
He's decent, but he's not a breakthrough kind of guy. He sticks to what he knows works, and if he doesn't have the players for it, it suffers. you look at the team you saw at 2012, it's the same one from tonight, his go to squad. And if you look at our performances in say the last decade, you see that we've been in the thick of things.

It started over 20 years, with the so called golden generation, that won 2 youth world cups in 89 and 91. The likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto shined back then, and it culminated in qualification for Euro 96, a win at the group stage, and a loss to the losing finalists, the Check Republic. In 98, we were screwed by a french jackass, because we had the audacity of trying to win against the mighty germans at their own home, and ever since then, we've been in every euro and world cup, usually getting to the semis, or losing to one of the finalists.
This tells me two things. Until we get either a someone that can properly get these players to perform in the level they can, OR we get a batch of players from the same club, that play well enough together to simply make things look easier, we'll never win.
The number of times we've lost to Spain and Germany shows me this.
Which brings me to point number two, and the reason I don't like Bento, as I didn't like Queiroz either. A national side that has the quality of players that we do should NOT HAVE TO ALWAYS QUALIFY ON THE FRACKING PLAYOFFS!!!

Euro 2008, 2nd, behind Poland.
WC 2010, 2nd, behind Denmark.
Euro 2012, 2nd, behind Denmark. ( :tongue:tongue @Peete )
WC 2014, 2nd behind Russia.

Considering that, when push comes to shove, we beat these teams, we shouldn't have to always depend on the bloody playoffs.
We always have to suffer more than we should, and it clearly shows me that under these types of managers, we'll never win a tournament, because we lack that extra bit of luck, concentration, spark, to get past the tough games.
Terrific, the only time my country is mentioned here (possibly because we are shit*y footballing country nowadays) and it's misspelled... But thanks for reminding me that, it makes me feel a little better:)
Good luck anyway, Portugal's performance at tournaments always puzzled me a little..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Spain lost.

They deserved it, they deserved even a larger result. The team is looking pathetic. I don't know what's going on, maybe they think, and everyone in Spain, that they are now the kings of the world because they've won a couple tittles. That's not the attitude to win something, it's absolutely disgustin how they play. If I was a Spain fan, I'd be totally mad at them, they take it for granted... They don't want to sweat, run and fight for the right of wearing the jersey, they think it's something that they're going to have forever because they've lost something. And Del Bosque is too good of a man to do what he has to, that is a huge wake up call to everyone in the locker room... The attitude is horrible, they think every team is bullshit, they take the friendlies as a joke, laugh here and there, then go out there, play a little bit without any intensity and back home...

The world champions can't make such a disgraceful impression in every match they play. Last matches, vs Belarus, Guinea, South Africa and a couple more that I don't remember have been atrocious. They've most of them except Chile and this one, but that's not enough, it shouldn't be at least. A team that's World Champion has to make a good impression every day, at least show some fight until the end, make the spectators' ticket money worth something. Not this shit. I think it's time to send home all the young people, that seem to think they own the world because they've won the u-21 euro or some other shit... And also some others that are more consolidated but seem to take it as a joke. And it has to be done before the WC starts. Because this is not the way to go if you want to win it again.

I thought Brazil's humilation would be enough, but it seems it hasn't been. I've always said that I don't like Spain for my feelings (not even close), or something like that. I want them to win because of the players and how they play... But if they keep doing this they're doing, I'll have to go with Holland or some other country next summer, because this we just witnessed today was pathetic.

I don't even want to talk about Toni Grande shouting at the South Africa manager because he complained about Spain doing the 7th substituion... Which is ILEGAL. And he shouted to him, as if it was the most normal thing in the whole world to make one more substitution than what everybody else does. Yeah, we get it, Valdes was injured... So what? f**k off and play Arbeloa as a goalkeeper, like every other team would. Or do you think you're special? lol And the worst thing is the FIFA delegate allowed Spains 7th substitution....
Are you serious? That really happened? Way to disprove Fifa's Spanish bias...

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Which players will you miss watching at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil?

The best-players-not-going-to-the-2014-World-Cup XI.

Cech, Piszczek, Ivanovic, Agger, Alaba, Hamsik, Yarmolenko, Eriksen, Bale, Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic

So the qualification process for the 2014 World Cup is complete and we now know which superstars are likely to be on show in Brazil next summer. We also know which array of top-level talent has not made it to the finals and from the European section alone there is enough to make up a pretty decent side – which is exactly what we have done.

The midfield may lack defensive discipline but the back five would be capable of keeping a clean sheet or two, while going forward, goals should not be a problem. And, to top it all off, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is on hand to give the side a healthy dose of self-confidence.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/20/world-cup-finals-2014-brazil-players-miss-watching?CMP=twt_gu

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Lewandowski and Ibrahimovic missing the World Cup is a blow but it's still going to be great tournament.

It's going to be between Brazil, Germany and Spain IMO,

1241 - 1260 of 1274 Posts