Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old Trafford was the venue for Manchester United and Manchester City as United remembered the Munich Air Disaster, 50 years on. After all the talk of the minutes silence, City fans did their bit although the sound of fireworks disrupted it. Manchester United wore replica kits of the Busby Babes as the began the task of overhauling their nearest rivals.......

After a promising start, the tempo dropped considerably and the game wasn't living up to its billing. City struck a shock lead when Vassell managed to power home a volley after Van Der Sar did brilliantly to save the initial shot although it seemed to be heading wide. It was what should have been a wake up call but for some strange reason it wasn't. The absence or Rooney was plain for all to see and Ronaldo never got into his stride firing a free wide, his brightest spell. Going in at half time 1-0 down was very poor but unbelievably......City got a second. After a string of corners.....Benjani, on his debut, "shouldered" in a Petrov corner to the far post beating Van Der Sar. Tevez had United's best chance with a brilliant volley just not cutting it. Half time, 2-0, incredibly!

You would have thought that the second half would have produced passion, guts and determination but all that lacked as the men numbered from 1 to 11 failed to make any real impact on City's defence. Chances were few and far between and City would've managed a second if Ireland had been a bit more selfish instead laying off to a team mate. Tevez thought he'd put the game right back in the mixer only to have his goal disallowed for offside. Ferguson made the changes although the crowds lack of voice almost condemned the result and United were on their way to their first home defeat in 18 months to the team who would never live it down. Misplaced passes, under hit passes, over hit passes, poor decisions were all just small factors to this inept display from the English Champions. One sub, Carrick will be able to add a goal to his tally as he placed a fine shot into the corner of the goal beyond Harper, but you had to question whether we even deserved that!

The dissection of the game and performance will surely take place and the problems rectified but the bottom line is that we dropped further points and Arsenal have now got the opportunity to move 5 points clear at the top of the table and the 50th Anniversary of Munich was poorly remembered as regards the result. At the end, the roar from 3,000 City fans was as loud as their whole stadium would produce after a goal. United fans were left wondering and the usual "If's, but's, and why's" will be drowned with pints in the bars around Old Trafford. Already the excuses have come pouring out. Wayne shouldn't have been booked last week, the Jerseys were a hindrance, Ref was biased, crowd were dead......etc.....

My question is simple.....When you take to field representing Manchester United FC, you are expected to give 100% and that's all we as fans can ask. If that's not enough well, then we'll have to hold our heads up high and admit that we were beaten by the better team. So why wouldn't you give it your all on such an occasion? Home at Old Trafford, playing against fierce rivals, Munich Anniversary and chasing the team at the top of the league!

Player ratings:

Van Der Sar---------------6 (Possibly could've done better with first goal)
Brown----------------------4 (Sloppy passes)
Vidic------------------------6 (Did his best)
Ferdinand-----------------5 (Off colour, for some reason)
O'Shea--------------------5 (Too slow and no penetration, like Evra)
Ronaldo------------------4 (Just didn't work for him today)
Scholes-------------------6 (Provided the bullets but the others couldn't find the target)
Anderson----------------5 (Poor)
Giggs---------------------4 (Very, very quiet)
Nani-----------------------3 (Never even looked interested. Shocker)
Tevez---------------------7 (Tried very hard)
---------
Park----------------------4 (No impact)
Hargreaves-------------4 (No impact)
Carrick-------------------6 (Took his goal well)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Van Der Sar 7 (played well ,was unluckly with the both goals, made good saves)
Brown 5
Vidic 5
Ferdinand 2 (absoultly terribly, worst player on the pitch in the match)
O'Shea 5
Ronaldo 4 (didn't do much, had a free-kick)
Scholes 5 (poor match like the spurs one, but assist to Carrick, saves him from getting a 3 rating)
Anderson 6 (played alright, from what i heard)
Giggs 5 (didn't do much like Ronaldo)
Nani 3 (terrible, had to be taken off)
Tevez 7 (good overall player by the Argentine, his shot could have been a goal of the month contender)

Park 5 (no time to do anything)
Hargreaves 5 (no times to do anything)
Carrick 6 (good goal)

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
van der sar 4
brown 2
vidic6
ferdinand 0
oshea 4
nani -100 charles rates him highly why ?
anderson 5
scholes 4
ronaldo 5 but fails to show in another big game . best players in world do it when it matters ronnie
tevez 4
giggs 4

sir alex 0 what a bright idea to have a midfield devoid of a tackler but all said and done that side should have mullered city if any of them bothered to turn up .

they were a shambles full stop

N

·
0 Posts
chill guys
"Don't blame it on Anderson, don't blame it on Hargreaves, don't blame it on Scholesy, blame it on the Saudi's"
found this from redcafe :)
abt how the trip tired the players out

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The_Red_Prince said:
im still sad that we lost.Wonder what Sir Alex will be saying to the players in the dressing room
I don't think the players will be able to understand, they'll just be praying for him to stop ;)....:D

·
Banned
836 Posts
A derby defeat is always hard to take, and this, City's first win here since 1974 when Denis Law scored for the opposition, was especially tough to swallow because United simply didn't give a good account of themselves.

But if there was one thing that United learned have learned since 6th February 1958, it is that this is a club that keeps on going, even through adversity. This defeat is a setback for the Reds, but United still have an excellent opportunity to go on honouring the traditions instilled by Matt Busby's Babes – attacking, entertaining and successful football. And that is why, as the fans put it, United will never die. The legacy lives on.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
The occasion got to them big time.
Our experienced players didnt play well.
Our young lads didnt play well.
Which doesnt say much about the rest.
Not going to bother rating them or picking on 1 or 2 guys in particular.
None of them can be happy with how they played apart from maybe Vidic
who put it about a bit and then had to be the emergency striker.
Bad day at the office.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rebelk0de said:
i heard that wes' dad passed away...is it true?
Didn't hear anyhing..........God...I hope its not true,:( and if it is I'm shocked Wes played today.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
just got home from the match , an absolute shambles , i expected the team to be up for it just ike the fans were , but they left their fire back in the dressing room .
to say it was dissapointing is an understatement , i know we dont have the divine right to win every game , but today as an exception , the lads should have been highly motivated to put on a display worthy of the occasion.
just goes to show who our most pivotal player is, wayne rooney we really missed him badly.
i also think we are in bad need of a centre forward , and it showed today.
ruud has never been replaced .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
stretty said:
just got home from the match , an absolute shambles , i expected the team to be up for it just ike the fans were , but they left their fire back in the dressing room .
to say it was dissapointing is an understatement , i know we dont have the divine right to win every game , but today as an exception , the lads should have been highly motivated to put on a display worthy of the occasion.
just goes to show who our most pivotal player is, wayne rooney we really missed him badly.
i also think we are in bad need of a centre forward , and it showed today.
ruud has never been replaced .
Agree wity every word mate.
Being at the game itself would have made it worse seeing and being around all that. It was the wrong day to lose. It will take us a while to get this out of our systems.:(

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do we really have to rely on Wayne Rooney to gear up pro's and get them all playing their best? Is "HE" the main figure at OT?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes i believe the occasion did get to them , but i still had that glimmer of hope when we pulled one back even though time was nearly up , ah well time to forget that one .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've said it before and will say it again - SAF should have bought a back-up striker and the absence of Rooney proves that whenever one of our frontmen are out, things can get sticky in a hurry.

My only hope is that Sparky's boys do us a favour and get us of jail for the seond week in a row. :-(

·
Registered
143 Posts
whatever it is, i just hope that united can bounce back against arsenal. the lads have got to pick themselves up from this defeat and take it as a lesson. Im sure that the boys must have been upset to lose on such an occasion as well.

Cmon lads, lets get behind our boys and support them all the way. they really need it now. Im sure that they can pull off a good performance against arsenal.

Glory Glory Man United

·
Registered
20 Posts
what a terrible performance.... no energy at all.... the squad looked flat and tired.... Today showed how bad we really needed another striker.... Today is a dissapointing day

1 - 20 of 22 Posts