Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, there was an article in a newspaper a while ago (I think it was on this site) and was an interview with Paul Elliot (former Chelsea and Celtic defender.)

He does work for the "Kick it Out" campaign, which is not just about race but also about bigotry, and other abuse. In this interview, he said that he knows of 12 players who are gay but are too scared to come out, because of the reaction (crowd reaction here) it would cause.

But, talking about a player, he obviously would be able to announce it, but it would make life difficult for him.

The crowd reaction would be terrible. You just have to look at the Spurs fans, who were chanting homophobic abuse at Sol Campbell. He hasn't revealed he is gay, if indeed he is, but still received dreadful abuse. So can you imagine the abuse an openly gay player would receive?

On a sidenote, John Fashanu's (former Wimbledon player) brother Justin committed suicide because he was gay and his life was made a misery.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
IanDangerously said:
Speaking of the whole Kick Racism thingy, where does the Park song fall within that? I mean it is openly racist against people from the Republik of Korea.

I was going to sing it last night but as I was the only person around me singing and there were a pair of stewards glaring at me, I decided not to. :p
Well, I would hazard a guess that it isn't considered racist as it isn't used to insult anyone, but instead is, well, banter and support for a player.

But I'm not really sure, and you do have a point.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Agree Dwarfy. I also heard about those stories in Italy. Even if he was exaggerating
Im sure he slept with a few anyway. Arent 1 in 10 or so 'gay' anyway???
so there must be loads of gay footballers playing in the Prem.
Arsenal had a few, Bergkamp and Ljungberg and Sol to name a few.

I dont think footballers should come out though cos the abuse would be horrific
and unwarranted.
I think it was Jay who mentioned Justin Fashanu :( that was a tragic story tbh,
and Im surprised at your comment RFR, twas harsh mate.
The thing is though, I think the fact that he received no support from his fellow players made it worse.

He received abuse from his fellow players, and there was even an accusation that when he was a free agent he found it extremely hard to find another club because of it.

I'm not saying they should have celebrated it as such, but they should really have behaved as if he was just another average, run of the mill footballer.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
TheManc said:
Is Sol Campbel actually gay? I thought that was just used as an insult to him, not the truth.
Well, he's never "came out" but he's believed to be one of the 12 who Paul Elliot was talking about.

There was also a scenario a couple of years ago that there were 3 players in the England squad who were gay, and he was obviously supposed to be one of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts