Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Quite an interesting topic of discussion...
Before I go any further, I'd like to ask anyone here, namely the yanks, if they know of any athletes that compete in team sports, i.e., football, American Rules football ;) , basketball, handball, rugby, any of them, that have come out of the closet?

I ask this, because i think no one has, and I doubt very much everyone is straight. I think it's not just about the grief from opposite fans, it's the problem that even your own team fans might have with it, and most of all, the potential for disruption inside the locker room. How would your teammates look at you? Would they celebrate goals the same way? I think there's a LOT of issues around this subject that makes it better for them to remain "underground". Even financially, it could be a disaster, with image rights, and shirt sales, and God knows what else...

I think they prefer to keep their private life just that. Private.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I feel that gay athletes SHOULD announce their sexual orientaion.

It's the 21s century and it's about time we stop judging other based on who they like.

..... also they would be given pink armbands to wear and would showe in seperate pink cubicles ;)

Well....

benfica had a pink shirt last season... hint, hint..? ;)

And no, that's not photoshoped, they really had that!!!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Cappy said:
Yeah, but tennis is far from the the mainstream of the professional sports world.

Also, I believe Amaechi didn't come out til after his playing days were over.

not only that, tennis isn't really a team sport. My main point regarding this issue is in fact the effect it would have on your teammates views of you. And the stability of the locker room.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
not bumping this thread for fun, unlike some others have done with other threads.
just been reading an interesting article and was going to start a thread about it but did a search first and found this thread so i'll post it here.
English football is "institutionally homophobic",the gay rights group Stonewall has claimed.
Its survey of 2,005 fans found 70% had heard anti-gay abuse in grounds in the past five years and more than half felt authorities did not do enough about it.
The survey suggested that most fans did want to see an end to homophobia in the sport, with 64% saying football would be better off without anti-gay abuse and more than two-thirds saying they would feel comfortable if a player on their team came out.
Also, 85% supported the action taken by police against fans who directed homophobic and racist abuse at Portsmouth's Sol Campbell in October 2008.
However, while 61% believe there is less racist abuse in contemporary football compared with 1989, just 31% believed there was less homophobic abuse.
Some 63% blamed the prospect of anti-gay abuse from fans as the reason why there were no openly gay players in the Premier League, Championship and Leagues One and Two. Just 2% believed there were no gay professional players.
Only one in six fans said their club was working to tackle anti-gay abuse and 54% believed the Football Association, Premier League and Football League were not doing enough to tackle the issue.
In response to the figures, a report by Stonewall argues that clear leadership is needed from the FA and from clubs to tackle the problem.
Its recommendations include using sanctions against fans who carry out anti-gay abuse and violence similar to those who conduct racist abuse.
Clubs which fail to tackle homophobia should face the threat of points being docked, the report also says
Additionally, it recommends that Kick It Out, the FA's anti-abuse campaign, should be better resourced to tackle homophobia.
BBC NEWS | UK | Football 'failing on homophobia'
I'm sorry, but this is a propaganda stunt. Football fans insult players not because they're gay, or black, or whatever. They insult them because they play in rival clubs.
FA and the clubs can do jack shit about this issue.
Like I said before, the players that are gay don't admit it not because of the fans, or whatnot, they do it for 2 main reasons:
-Money;
-Team mates;
The football player is a sex symbol, there a TON of cash to be made in advertising, and how much of that would be gone if the player came out?? Most, if not all of it.
Add to that, just how would the rest of the squad react to a player's admition. The squads share a closeness in the locker rooms that possibly suffer greatly, from a thing like that.
I don't think the fans would care one way or the other, so why is it that in pretty much all major teams sports, there's virtually no open gay players??

So like I said, this is just a propaganda report, designed to raise awareness to something that needs to be fixed from the source. Blaming the clubs and the FA for this is like blaming the meteorologist when it rains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts