Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
Oooh, good question.

I recently heard reports coming from Italy that a male prostitute had claimed that over 20 Serie A footballers were regular clients of his. The prostitute also said that the footballers were terrified of their sexuality becoming public knowledge and he refused to name any of them.

Although I truly believe that we live in a more tolerant society these days I think it would be very difficult for an openly gay footballer. I have no doubt that he would be a target for fans and I fear that the level of abuse he would get would astonish a lot of people.

Although tbh I do not see why something as private as your sexual preferences should be made public.
Agree Dwarfy. I also heard about those stories in Italy. Even if he was exaggerating
Im sure he slept with a few anyway. Arent 1 in 10 or so 'gay' anyway???
so there must be loads of gay footballers playing in the Prem.
Arsenal had a few, Bergkamp and Ljungberg and Sol to name a few.

I dont think footballers should come out though cos the abuse would be horrific
and unwarranted.
I think it was Jay who mentioned Justin Fashanu :( that was a tragic story tbh,
and Im surprised at your comment RFR, twas harsh mate.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Jazz 16 said:
Agree Dwarfy. I also heard about those stories in Italy. Even if he was exaggerating

and unwarranted.

Bergkamp had a wife and kids !

John oshea
Jermaine jenas
Ljunberg

Ive heard all 3 are gay

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
red dave said:
Bergkamp had a wife and kids !

John oshea
Jermaine jenas
Ljunberg

Ive heard all 3 are gay
Ive heard the rumours about O'Shea. there was a thing in the papers recently
about it. Its all just a joke that got out of hand. He has a bird from Waterford and all.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:

and unwarranted.
The thing is though, I think the fact that he received no support from his fellow players made it worse.

He received abuse from his fellow players, and there was even an accusation that when he was a free agent he found it extremely hard to find another club because of it.

I'm not saying they should have celebrated it as such, but they should really have behaved as if he was just another average, run of the mill footballer.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
sooner or later it will happen. and i think when it does, there will be a flurry afterwards. eventually there will be a player who rightly decides "i have every right to be gay without fear of repercussion. i'm going to rise above the bigots and idiots that every club has, and i'm going to show enormous strength to not let them get to me." he will come out, maybe not in any other way that being seen out with his boyfriends/partners and the papers will kick up a storm and the fans will chant. but so many people will jump to stand alongside him, maybe with a few more names in sport coming out. just like with the spurs fans, greater efforts will be made to identify and name and shame, and it will get sorted bit by bit. good luck to whoever that man is, whenever it happens. i'm sure it will

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Quite an interesting topic of discussion...
Before I go any further, I'd like to ask anyone here, namely the yanks, if they know of any athletes that compete in team sports, i.e., football, American Rules football ;) , basketball, handball, rugby, any of them, that have come out of the closet?

I ask this, because i think no one has, and I doubt very much everyone is straight. I think it's not just about the grief from opposite fans, it's the problem that even your own team fans might have with it, and most of all, the potential for disruption inside the locker room. How would your teammates look at you? Would they celebrate goals the same way? I think there's a LOT of issues around this subject that makes it better for them to remain "underground". Even financially, it could be a disaster, with image rights, and shirt sales, and God knows what else...

I think they prefer to keep their private life just that. Private.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
Before I go any further, I'd like to ask anyone here, namely the yanks, if they know of any athletes that compete in team sports, i.e., football, American Rules football ;) , basketball, handball, rugby, any of them, that have come out of the closet?
There was a guy in the NBA who came out (he was from England too...I'm just saying) and for whatever reason it was a huge deal, and Lebron James said some dumb stuff about not being able to trust someone who kept it a secret from his teammates...yeah right :rolleyes:

Oh and there was that guy who played for City...Justin Fashton or something like that. He got arrested in Maryland for raping someone or something like that, I remember hearing about it on the news.

Never mind here's his wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
We have yet to have an openly gay athlete in one of the major sports. We have had some come out after their playing days are over, and there are always strong rumors about some but no one has come out while playing.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
RedAdam said:
sooner or later it will happen. and i think when it does, there will be a flurry afterwards. eventually there will be a player who rightly decides "i have every right to be gay without fear of repercussion. i'm going to rise above the bigots and idiots that every club has, and i'm going to show enormous strength to not let them get to me." he will come out, maybe not in any other way that being seen out with his boyfriends/partners and the papers will kick up a storm and the fans will chant. but so many people will jump to stand alongside him, maybe with a few more names in sport coming out. just like with the spurs fans, greater efforts will be made to identify and name and shame, and it will get sorted bit by bit. good luck to whoever that man is, whenever it happens. i'm sure it will
I feel that gay athletes SHOULD announce their sexual orientaion.

It's the 21s century and it's about time we stop judging other based on who they like.

..... also they would be given pink armbands to wear and would showe in seperate pink cubicles ;)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I feel that gay athletes SHOULD announce their sexual orientaion.

It's the 21s century and it's about time we stop judging other based on who they like.

..... also they would be given pink armbands to wear and would showe in seperate pink cubicles ;)

Well....

benfica had a pink shirt last season... hint, hint..? ;)

And no, that's not photoshoped, they really had that!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
IanDangerously said:
Speaking of the whole Kick Racism thingy, where does the Park song fall within that? I mean it is openly racist against people from the Republik of Korea.

I was going to sing it last night but as I was the only person around me singing and there were a pair of stewards glaring at me, I decided not to. :p
It's not anti-Korean, it's anti-Scouse :p

Besides, they do eat dogs in Korea. How can a factual statement about culinary preferences be considered racist?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts