Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
TheManc said:
Is Sol Campbel actually gay? I thought that was just used as an insult to him, not the truth.
Well, he's never "came out" but he's believed to be one of the 12 who Paul Elliot was talking about.

There was also a scenario a couple of years ago that there were 3 players in the England squad who were gay, and he was obviously supposed to be one of them.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
I feel that gay athletes SHOULD announce their sexual orientaion.
Why? I personally couldn't give a ****, I watch them to kick a ball in the net not discuss their personal issues, let alone sexuality.

It's the 21s century and it's about time we stop judging other based on who they like.
Yeah, the 21st century - where people are even more judgemental! Lets get real here, if someone like Gerrard announced he was gay, he would get ripped the **** out of at every stadium he goes to, imagine at OT :|

I just think there's no need. It's not really any of our business, and no one should really care. If, for example, Gerrard announced that he's gay, how would that benefit him? The only people who it would benefit are the chant creators, newspapers and the chav dickheads in the front row screaming 'you ****ing queer' etc etc everytime he gets the ball.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
reddwarf said:
Piazza - what about the basketball player Dennis Rodman? He announced he was bisexual and openly visited gay bars when he was playing for San Antonio didn't he?
I think that was just a publicity stunt, all his shenanigans were.

There was that English guy who played for the Utah Jazz who wrote his auto about being gay, and it made headlines everywhere, he was on the Daily Show and everything, I can't for the life of me remember his name though.:mad:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yeah, but tennis is far from the the mainstream of the professional sports world.

Also, I believe Amaechi didn't come out til after his playing days were over.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Lmao!!

the first openly gay basketballer was from manchester lol!!

He has a basketball centre near Moss side Ive met him through a friend of mine who played for the Manchester magic !!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Cappy said:
Yeah, but tennis is far from the the mainstream of the professional sports world.

You are correct. But FFS, Magic Johnson has AIDS and he managed, no reason to see why he couldn't have hacked it if he came out of the closet.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Cappy said:

not only that, tennis isn't really a team sport. My main point regarding this issue is in fact the effect it would have on your teammates views of you. And the stability of the locker room.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
http://www.thejustincampaign.com/

they are everywhere:eek:

i believe it will be many years before one admits it as team mates would be concerned at it .

ive never been intruded and i wander round many changing rooms tackle out so i imagine the fear of a bum is greater than the chances .

seriously though unless they are waving them at you in holes in loo cubicles why should it bother you ?

i peeked thru one once and he nearly had my eye out ---- i didnt know where to put my face :eek:

but he soon showed me ;)

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hardaway
Homophobia controversy
On February 14, 2007, Hardaway made a series of remarks that were widely criticized as homophobic. During an interview on Dan Le Batard's radio show on Miami's 790 the Ticket concerning the recent coming out of retired basketball player John Amaechi, Hardaway was asked by Le Batard how he would deal with a gay teammate. Hardaway said he "wouldn't want him on my team." He added that he would shun a gay teammate and would not want him in the locker room. When Le Batard asked Hardaway if he knew his remarks were homophobic, Hardaway responded, "Well, you know I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it."[8]

Later in the day, Hardaway apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that."[9] He further apologized on February 15 in a statement released by his agent.[10] On the same day, the NBA responded to Hardaway's comments by removing him from its All-Star Weekend activities later that week.[10] Hardaway's employer, Trinity Sports, owner of the Anderson-based CBA Indiana Alley Cats, dismissed him from his position as Chief Basketball Operations Advisor,[11] and the CBA issued a statement distancing itself from Hardaway's remarks.[12]

In a September 2007 interview, Hardaway spoke about his February comments, saying he "had no idea how much I hurt people. A lot of people." He described the controversy as "the biggest bump [in the road] in my life," and added, "I'm going to do whatever I can to correct it. That's all I can do."[13]

After the incident, Hardaway began attending classes to learn about some of the issues facing gay, lesbian, and transgender youth. Speaking about the classes, he said, "I just wanted to go in and get educated. I'm not really trying to make amends. I've been there trying to get help." The director of the YES Institute, which sponsors the program Hardaway has been attending, described him as "genuine" and said that the staff was "surprised how real our relationship with Tim got." A picture of Hardaway and members of the staff appears on the group's website.[

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I dont see it really, i mean its difficult for some gay men to come out to their loved ones, imagine what it would be to come out to practically the whole world for some football players.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
piazza said:
You are correct. But FFS, Magic Johnson has AIDS and he managed, no reason to see why he couldn't have hacked it if he came out of the closet.
Yeah, but he supposedly got it from women. I personally could care less as far as sports are concerned. (And how often do you hear that coming from someone, as Zuco so delicately puts it, a "God botherer"). That is a whole 'nother rant/story for me to get into though. Sadly though, this thread shows that the world isn't ready for something like this to happen though.

·
One Armed Bandit
8,143 Posts
not bumping this thread for fun, unlike some others have done with other threads.

just been reading an interesting article and was going to start a thread about it but did a search first and found this thread so i'll post it here.

English football is "institutionally homophobic",the gay rights group Stonewall has claimed.

Its survey of 2,005 fans found 70% had heard anti-gay abuse in grounds in the past five years and more than half felt authorities did not do enough about it.

The survey suggested that most fans did want to see an end to homophobia in the sport, with 64% saying football would be better off without anti-gay abuse and more than two-thirds saying they would feel comfortable if a player on their team came out.

Also, 85% supported the action taken by police against fans who directed homophobic and racist abuse at Portsmouth's Sol Campbell in October 2008.

However, while 61% believe there is less racist abuse in contemporary football compared with 1989, just 31% believed there was less homophobic abuse.

Some 63% blamed the prospect of anti-gay abuse from fans as the reason why there were no openly gay players in the Premier League, Championship and Leagues One and Two. Just 2% believed there were no gay professional players.

Only one in six fans said their club was working to tackle anti-gay abuse and 54% believed the Football Association, Premier League and Football League were not doing enough to tackle the issue.

In response to the figures, a report by Stonewall argues that clear leadership is needed from the FA and from clubs to tackle the problem.

Its recommendations include using sanctions against fans who carry out anti-gay abuse and violence similar to those who conduct racist abuse.

Clubs which fail to tackle homophobia should face the threat of points being docked, the report also says

Additionally, it recommends that Kick It Out, the FA's anti-abuse campaign, should be better resourced to tackle homophobia.
BBC NEWS | UK | Football 'failing on homophobia'

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
not bumping this thread for fun, unlike some others have done with other threads.
just been reading an interesting article and was going to start a thread about it but did a search first and found this thread so i'll post it here.
English football is "institutionally homophobic",the gay rights group Stonewall has claimed.
Its survey of 2,005 fans found 70% had heard anti-gay abuse in grounds in the past five years and more than half felt authorities did not do enough about it.
The survey suggested that most fans did want to see an end to homophobia in the sport, with 64% saying football would be better off without anti-gay abuse and more than two-thirds saying they would feel comfortable if a player on their team came out.
Also, 85% supported the action taken by police against fans who directed homophobic and racist abuse at Portsmouth's Sol Campbell in October 2008.
However, while 61% believe there is less racist abuse in contemporary football compared with 1989, just 31% believed there was less homophobic abuse.
Some 63% blamed the prospect of anti-gay abuse from fans as the reason why there were no openly gay players in the Premier League, Championship and Leagues One and Two. Just 2% believed there were no gay professional players.
Only one in six fans said their club was working to tackle anti-gay abuse and 54% believed the Football Association, Premier League and Football League were not doing enough to tackle the issue.
In response to the figures, a report by Stonewall argues that clear leadership is needed from the FA and from clubs to tackle the problem.
Its recommendations include using sanctions against fans who carry out anti-gay abuse and violence similar to those who conduct racist abuse.
Clubs which fail to tackle homophobia should face the threat of points being docked, the report also says
Additionally, it recommends that Kick It Out, the FA's anti-abuse campaign, should be better resourced to tackle homophobia.
BBC NEWS | UK | Football 'failing on homophobia'
I'm sorry, but this is a propaganda stunt. Football fans insult players not because they're gay, or black, or whatever. They insult them because they play in rival clubs.
FA and the clubs can do jack shit about this issue.
Like I said before, the players that are gay don't admit it not because of the fans, or whatnot, they do it for 2 main reasons:
-Money;
-Team mates;
The football player is a sex symbol, there a TON of cash to be made in advertising, and how much of that would be gone if the player came out?? Most, if not all of it.
Add to that, just how would the rest of the squad react to a player's admition. The squads share a closeness in the locker rooms that possibly suffer greatly, from a thing like that.
I don't think the fans would care one way or the other, so why is it that in pretty much all major teams sports, there's virtually no open gay players??

So like I said, this is just a propaganda report, designed to raise awareness to something that needs to be fixed from the source. Blaming the clubs and the FA for this is like blaming the meteorologist when it rains.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We got Plenty of GAY Referees...why not gay footballers. :) and i believe they should not come out and say they are gay , like priests or nuns In Malta they are not allowed so who ever of them is gay they just don't say ...same with Footballers it would ruin their career .

41 - 60 of 64 Posts