Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Sir Alex coddling players because he intends to retire in 1-2 seasons?

We have all have witnessed direct evidence of his conviction that no one player is bigger than the team - stam, beckham, keane were all moved out because of it.

But during this season, this key philosophy seems to have disappeared. Our team is suffering through its worst stretch that I can remember (if not in results - than in style, confidence, effort). There is only one reason for this - it is Christiano Ronaldo.

His selfishness and unbelievable self aggrandizement, once only seen in his style of play, is now an embarrassing and destructive attitude that has transformed a our once confident European and Premiership champions into a shadow of their former selves.

That we have a thread to discuss how much we missed berbatov yesterday is further evidence of this. Are we saying that the team from last season no longer has enough talent to beat villa?

The problem is one of confidence and chemistry. The problem is Christiano Ronaldo.

The sooner we get rid of him, the sooner our team will return to its rightful place - win or lose - a team that we can be proud of.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Its all just having one big moment at United.It will passand we cant slate everything there (except Mike Phelan :)).No-one is perfoming that well as a TEAM player,except maybe Carrick ??It will be fine ,you'll see

·
Registered
376 Posts
SAF does seemed to have treated the ronaldo thing differently than similar situations in the past. He has always put team morale above everything and if you crossed him .....ouch! I wonder if actually SAF sees Madrid as the enemy and not ronaldo as the problem. However , it has had an effect on team morale and since everyone thinks Ronaldo will move sooner rather than later , why not now?

I know one thing - if I was in a successful team and our star player said he wanted out then I know what effect it would have on me. It's not exactly a team building exercise!!? I would love to know SAF 's thinking on this.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blade said:
Ridiculous thread.
No, what is ridiculous is that some here refuse to see the forest for the trees. Yes, I was against keeping ronaldo from the beginning of his summer antics. Those of you who insisted I, and those who had similar opinions, were lunatics and knew nothing about football got your wish. Ronaldo stayed.

But what have we lost?

Team chemistry. You don't have to like your teammates, you can even hate some of them. But you have to believe that each and every one of them will do anything they can for the team.

Do you honestly believe ronaldo has this quality and passion for United? More importantly, do his teammates? It is interesting to note that United's best spell of pressure in the game yesterday came AFTER Ronaldo went off.

Selfishness can be positive when it helps the team to win. But when that selfishness is an end, rather than a mean - it permeates the entire organization. You simply have to do something about it.

Chritiano ronaldo's attitude has reached that stage.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Cristiano Ronaldo also happens to be the best player on the planet.
Manchester United would be a poorer team when he leaves.

Get a grip.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Stam- had Blanc picked out as a replacement.

Becks- had Ronaldo picked out as a replacement.

Van the Man- didn't need one, so to speak. Saha. Rooney.

Keane- had Carrick picked out as a replacement.

Out of all of the above, there were always people of comparable ability waiting in the wings.

Keane was the only person who was irreplaceable, and if you'll remember we went through a bit of a barren run there for awhile.

So, who could we possibly replace the best footballer in the entire universe with?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
something is totally wrong at the club , and after ronaldo's summer pantomine i would have sold him. but the fact is when he plays for utd he is still our shining star and without his efforts we would be down in the basement.our players are certainly good enough indavidually but the teams performance have been poor for most of the season .
until our strikers stay in the top third and cause problems we will continue to struggle we need strikers who can hit the target on a regular basis ,at least keep the goalkeeper busy and we just aren't doing it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
piazza said:
Stam- had Blanc picked out as a replacement.

Becks- had Ronaldo picked out as a replacement.

Van the Man- didn't need one, so to speak. Saha. Rooney.

Keane- had Carrick picked out as a replacement.

Out of all of the above, there were always people of comparable ability waiting in the wings.

Keane was the only person who was irreplaceable, and if you'll remember we went through a bit of a barren run there for awhile.

So, who could we possibly replace the best footballer in the entire universe with?
I was actually thinking about this last night. Is the only reason Ronaldo is here because there is no replacement?

There is no doubt that Ronaldo is currently the best player in the World. But his behaviour is an absolute disgrace to this club, and I've been surprised that Sir Alex has just seemed to accept it to tell you the truth.

Could it be possible that Ronaldo is leaving in the summer, which gives Sir Alex time to find a replacement? (Probably not, but its just a thought)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ronaldo is our only player that ever looks like scoring. Getting rid of him would be crazy and based on the other "goalscorers in our team" we'd be lucky to finish in the top 4.

In terms of Fergie, didn't he say that announcing his retirement in 2001 effected the players that season. meaning he would have to announce at the end of the season then. Could it be this one?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
In terms of Fergie, didn't he say that announcing his retirement in 2001 effected the players that season. meaning he would have to announce at the end of the season then. Could it be this one?
I said around late August that I thought this was Fergies last year.

And I'm swaying even more to that point now. I think, honestly, that he has decided to bow out at the end of the season. And I think hes concentrating on the Champions League and discounting the league to an extent, because he wants to bow out being the first manager to lead a team to back-to-back Champions League wins.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
manutd004 said:
I said around late August that I thought this was Fergies last year.

And I'm swaying even more to that point now. I think, honestly, that he has decided to bow out at the end of the season. And I think hes concentrating on the Champions League and discounting the league to an extent, because he wants to bow out being the first manager to lead a team to back-to-back Champions League wins.
you have a great imagination jay :)

:p

Fergie is staying until 2011 Mark my words :cool:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
you have a great imagination jay :)

:p

Fergie is staying until 2011 Mark my words :cool:
Well abo, thats my opinion.

And if we're still around and Sir Alex is gone before 2011, I'll make sure I remind you about it. ;)

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Yep, because it's just like Sir Alex Ferguson to throw the league. You can see he wants to equal Liverpool's record before he goes, even if he doesn't reveal it.

This ****ing doom does my head in. Look at the games we've had, we'll win at City next week.

KEEP THE FAITH. Or go and support Chelsea.

MUFC.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
manutd004 said:
Well abo, thats my opinion.

And if we're still around and Sir Alex is gone before 2011, I'll make sure I remind you about it. ;)
you have a point but we are not performing that well in the ucl and our performances if the league are better ;)

please Fergie stay a bit longer

lets win against Viallreal

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
you have a point but we are not performing that well in the ucl and our performances if the league are better ;)

please Fergie stay a bit longer

lets win against Viallreal
We play in the League more often than the CL, so I would hope our League form would be better.

Also, our form in either competition has nothing to do with it in all honesty. If our form was better in the FA Cup than the League, it wouldn't mean we wanted to win the FA Cup more.

Stephen said:
Yep, because it's just like Sir Alex Ferguson to throw the league. You can see he wants to equal Liverpool's record before he goes, even if he doesn't reveal it.
I didn't mean hes throwing the League.

What I meant was that in the last 2 years we have seen the League as being more important than the CL, which is the way it should be imo.

But I think this season, Sir Alex's priority has changed and now he sees the CL as being more important than the League "even if he doesn't reveal it" or says otherwise.

But thats just my opinion and I'm not asking anyone else to agree with it.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
So, who could we possibly replace the best footballer in the entire universe with?[/quote]henri lansbury;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts