Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been half a season where Berbatov has struggled to find top form and show us the form that brought him too are attention .

Me personaly I have found his work rate a complete joke . Other than that his passing ability has lived up to the hype but other than that he has failed to light up and matches other than Blackburn and West ham .

Now lets look at Eric the King who joined from leeds in 1993 and made a instant impact in fact spured us on to our first title in over 20 years .

Eric lacked in nothing he often looked like he was strolling but lets get one thing straight Eric could roll up his sleaves and put in a bucket load of work rate if needed .

I believe Berbatov is going to be a hit as I have always rated him but and I say but Fergie has got a big challenge on his hands . And that challenge is getting Berbatov to play the same flowing football at pace as he does at his slow languid style .

What do you think ?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I think im going to reserve my judgement on him. I'm sure he'll come good. Surely this thread is just more on berbatov but with a question in the title to make it seem new threadworthy:p huh dave? ;)

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Like I've mentioned before on a Berbatov thread, we need to give him some time. Perhaps it is unfair to give him such comparisons as soon as he joins such a massive club.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
red dave said:
Im starting to really like you ;)
Join the club.

I'd never compare anyone to Cantona, or Keane or any other legend, its not fair to any of the parties involved. I like Berbatov, I really do, I think he's fantastic, and you'd never see me slag him, but the persona of Eric is unattainable.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;)
piazza said:
Join the club.

I'd never compare anyone to Cantona, or Keane or any other legend, its not fair to any of the parties involved. I like Berbatov, I really do, I think he's fantastic, and you'd never see me slag him, but the persona of Eric is unattainable.

Good call piazza the head of the north america united fan club;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
piazza said:
I own the western hemisphere.
You can have it. I'd never admit it in public if I didn't have to :eek:

To get back on topic, as far as attitude, sure. Berba and Cantona are pretty similar. As far as "letting your football do the talking", Cantona by a long shot. But to be fair, give him a season or 2 and ask the question again, maybe we'll be singing another tune :)

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
will he be a veron ?
or will he be a solskjaer ?

many "stars" have floundered over the years at o/t .

while some unknowns have become greats .

i think he needs a special performance akin to rooneys euro debut to kickstart things for him ------ inter milan away would be the perfect stage !!!!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I never compared him to Cantona. He'll never reach Cantona's performances. I always favoured Tevez to start ahead of Berbatov. But who am I to decide. The only one who is up to this is Sir Alex:)

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wazza1989 said:
I never compared him to Cantona. He'll never reach Cantona's performances. I always favoured Tevez to start ahead of Berbatov. But who am I to decide. The only one who is up to this is Sir Alex:)

You would say that your Romainan arnt you he is the enemey :p

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Berbatov is Berbatov!! No two players are the same. Not even our very own identical twins.
He has his own style and I don't think he'll ever have the same influence Cantona had. Cantona is the greatest of the Greats and I think that us United Fans are the only people who actually appreciated how good a player Cantona actuall was.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i still think that berbatov is a good player and i really wanted utd to sign him ,but it has been very dissapointing so far , but its not only berbatov because rooney and tevez are also poor and its more to do with their positions on the field , they seem to be about 40 yards from goal most of the time.
are they being told to stay in that area or are they stupidly playing deep roles ,either way utd are struggling to score ,simply because nobody is in the danger zone.and nobody will ever do what cantona did for utd .

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think the comparisons between Cantona and Berbatov is perhaps the reason that peoples expectations were so high in the first place.

But I don't like comparing players. Everyone's different, everyone has their own style, and everyone brings something different to the team.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
PrinceZane said:
You can have it. I'd never admit it in public if I didn't have to :eek:

To get back on topic, as far as attitude, sure. Berba and Cantona are pretty similar. As far as "letting your football do the talking", Cantona by a long shot. But to be fair, give him a season or 2 and ask the question again, maybe we'll be singing another tune :)
I'd take America's military, Canada's beer, Brazil+Argentina's football teams, not to mention with America's current crop of youngsters in a few years, we could be up there.

And as far as attitude goes, I don't remember Berbatov ever running his mouth quite like Cantona did, Berbs actually begged people to stop the comparisons, and to say Eric let his football do the talking is pretty ridiculous, Eric talked as much as he damn well pleased, but he backed it up on the pitch tenfold. Berbatov just keeps quiet and tries to do his thing, and bless him for it. I don't understand how people compare their personalities. Berbs could bang in 35 a year for the rest of his career, and he'd still be less of a legend the Le Roi.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Cantona's a kind of larger-than-life character, which Berbatov isn't and probably won't be, so in that respect no, but on the pitch, with just the elegance and stature I'd say I would compare them.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Cantona's a kind of larger-than-life character, which Berbatov isn't and probably won't be, so in that respect no, but on the pitch, with just the elegance and stature I'd say I would compare them.
Exactly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts