Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright believes Liverpool have found a Premiership-winning combination in Fernando Torres and Robbie Keane.

Keane's £19million transfer to Anfield stands as the biggest buy of the English summer so far, and one of the biggest in Liverpool's history.

Indeed, only Torres' £21million switch from Atletico Madrid last summer tops the Irish striker's move, and Reds fans will be hoping their new acquisition proves just as good value for money.

Most believe the 28-year-old is bound to succeed on Merseyside after establishing himself as one of the Premier League's most consistent forwards during his six seasons at Tottenham Hotspur.

And Wright is no different, insisting Rafael Benitez finally has an attacking line capable of downing his Big Four counterparts.

Jackpot

"I have been involved in my own fair share of successful strike duos over the years so I know that Liverpool have hit the jackpot this summer," Wright said in The Sun.

"In Fernando Torres and Robbie Keane, Liverpool have a strike force capable of bagging at least 40 goals between them. Enough to rival anything from Chelsea, Manchester United or Arsenal.

"Keane has consistently scored 15 or 20 goals per season and, following his £20million move from Tottenham, is now desperate to take that to the next level.

"Torres oozes world class and should be worth at least 25 goals — if not more."

Glory

The final third is perhaps the one part of the pitch Liverpool have been found wanting in recent years.

Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, Dietmar Hamann and Momo Sissoko have all starred in midfield; Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia, Steve Finnan, Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina have excelled at the back; and the likes of Fernando Morientes, Djibril Cisse and Harry Kewell flopped rather horribly in attack.

Some claim the Reds are still lacking in the wide areas, but Wright believes Benitez has at last assembled a complete team capable of beating anyone.

"Liverpool have always had a strong defence and, with the likes of Steven Gerrard in midfield, they are already a test for anyone," he continued.

"But if Keane and Torres get things right and click straight away, then it could be their year for glory."

Goal.com

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah fair enough opinion...

My own opinion is that since Rio has Torres in his back pocket, now Vidic gets to have Keane in his back pocket ;)

I think a Berba and Rooney partnership would be the best in the EPL but then again that is my opinion.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
i would love to see berba with rooney or tevez but huntelaar would be best along side rooney and tevez and as for lfc even he got selection from europe lol man utd is here to show them we are the best if nots really mean that you put any player with someone it should work lol schev henry etc etc what happen let wait and see what impact they gonna do hahaha till now this year is for Rooney & Tevez i can say

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think Torres and the Robster could be a pretty tasty combo up front, just cant see Benitez not rotating stupidly, Keane needs to play v regularly to be a consistent performer so if Benitez does mess around or even worse stick him on the wing it may not be as successful as it could be..

Torres is the best 1st striker in the league but we've got the best 'second' striker in the world in Wayne, if we can get some1 for him to play off we'll see just how brilliant he really is!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
No way, robbie keane, robbie keane will just be another craig bellamy. Liverpool just dont get it, you need world class strikers like drogba, rooney, tevez, torres, berba, adeybayor etc. Keane is not world class, no way near the level of the players mentioned, and keane as reached his peak.

Liverpool are just liverpool rejects, they buy oridnary players like crouch, bellemy, riddle, hesky and have a one world class striker - fowler, owen, torres, they never go for two world class strikers.

Thats why the 60 miilion dollar question is answered every time - When are livepool ever going to win the Premiership?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts