Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been touted for a while now that liverpool were going to sell xavi alonso to make room to bring in Villa's Gareth Barry. Even after alonso's terrific season for liverpool this story is still coming around again this summer.

i realise pool would never sell alonso to us but i would take alonso over barry any day.

what are your thoughts??

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Barry is 29 isn't he next year? I can't really see Alonso leaving and it's just poor tabloids that are scratching their heads thinking of rumors. Alonso has been one of Liverpool's best players this year. It would be crazy to get rid of him.

On an other note, seems like David Silva could be on his way to Anfailed. Pretty good signing for them. They need a winger, surprised we aren't sniffing around him.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think these stories are generating from last summer. Juve were in discussions to sign Alonso and Liverpool wanted Barry, but both moves failed to happen. It wouldn't surprise me either way. Benitez would be mad to sell Alonso after the season he's had, but he's well capable of it ;).

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nah I don't think they would get rid of him for Barry.
Benitez was prepared to do that last summer so why not this summer? Alonso had a great season but I still think Barry can offer Liverpool more than him, especially considering they have Mascherano who will do the defensive duties, which will free up Barry to do some damage. I really hope he doesn't go to the Pool cos I rate him a lot.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
anybody think we should put in a cheeky bid for him of say maybe 8 million? he would be a decent acquisition i know people will say we have enough midfielders but the fact is scholsey and Giggsy aren't going to be able to preform every week next season!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
no :p Barry he will be realitivtly cheap seeing as his contract will be up after next season and i think would be a great signing especially for that kind of money! don't see it happening though
Ah right :p This thread's about Rafa selling Alonso and buying Barry, so I thought you meant we should bid for him since he was available. I thought you'd lost it for a moment ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't really like Barry here tbh. I don't think we particularly need anyone either with Hargreaves coming back. I think Hargreaves is a much better player, as I'm not a great fan of Barry and think he's actually over-rated.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
I'd love it if they did.
what if we signed Barry?

Ah right :p This thread's about Rafa selling Alonso and buying Barry, so I thought you meant we should bid for him since he was available. I thought you'd lost it for a moment ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't really like Barry here tbh. I don't think we particularly need anyone either with Hargreaves coming back. I think Hargreaves is a much better player, as I'm not a great fan of Barry and think he's actually over-rated.
Yeah i get you and there is no denying Hargreaves is the better player and im one of his biggest fans but maybe it could solve our right wing problem as well with Hargo moving out wide and then having the chopice of either Ando Barry Carrick and Fletch to choose from in the center and Ronaldo out left?

like i said unlikely to happen but 8 million or so is a bargain IMO and we shouldn't rest on our laurels and should add quality to the squad when its available IMO

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah i get you and there is no denying Hargreaves is the better player and im one of his biggest fans but maybe it could solve our right wing problem as well with Hargo moving out wide and then having the chopice of either Ando Barry Carrick and Fletch to choose from in the center and Ronaldo out left?

like i said unlikely to happen but 8 million or so is a bargain IMO and we shouldn't rest on our laurels and should add quality to the squad when its available IMO
Hmmm, perhaps. But we've missed a bit of steel in midfield at times this season, so I think Hargreaves should be in the centre. But we do always have the option of playing him at RB or on the right of course, but that should only be a short-term option.

I do agree we should add quality, but I think we've got other positions we should be looking at first.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If Rafa got a mammoth offer for Alonso and could still clear 15-20 million after buying Barry, then it could happen. That money would go a hell of a long way toward getting a world class winger into the team. He'd have to at least consider it. Sure Alonso would be a loss, but bringing in Barry and someone like Silva to compensate wouldn't be a terrible outcome.

G

·
I think Alonso would be a big loss for Liverpool. He's been one of their most consistent, stand out performers this season in my opinion and you'd miss his creativity in midfield. Gareth Barry is clearly a talented player who's proven his worth to Aston Villa, but he's not as good as Alonso. One thing he will bring to the table is versatility. If needed, he can play left wing or even left back and both have been problem areas for Liverpool this season so it could turn out to be a good move after all. I personally think the best option would be to keep Alonso and find other ways of releasing the funds to buy a left winger.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.