Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly wants Xavi Hernández to anchor the midfield of the good ship Manchester United...

The Daily Star is reporting that Barcelona midfielder Xavi is at the forefront of Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer musings.

Xavi told his current club's official website recently, "My dream is to retire at Barça," but financial obstacles appear to be diminishing the prospect of that happening, despite the player having spent his enture career at Camp Nou.

Although the 28-year-old's contract doesn't expire till 2010, boss Pep Guardiola is known to be desperate to tie him down before the likes of the elite Premier League clubs start bombarding his agent with speculative phonecalls and boxes of chocolates.

As Barça sat down for initial contract talks with Xavi recently, he reportedly balked at the €7 million plus add-ons they put on the table. He wants a massive payday now that he's at an optimum footballing age and, thus, he might seek it elsewhere and his club may cash in.

Now, Fergie's apparently ready to step in and slash out on Euro 2008's player of the tournament. Owen Hargreaves is out for the rest of the season and may never be a long-term solution at Old Trafford, whilst Paul Scholes has been spotted shopping for porch rockers.

Ivan Corretja, Xavi's agent, is quoted as saying, "We have not been able to solve the situation at Barcelona, despite some months of negotiations. We feel he should be offered a deal which reflects his performances on the pitch.

"Everybody at Barcelona knows that there are some big European clubs interested in Xavi, particularly in England at the moment, and we will not allow this to go on forever.''

Sir Alex will surely be watching the Xavi contract situation very closely in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's just a rumour....i realy doubt Xavi will come to us...at least not this winter. I doubt Barcelona won't meet his expectations

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, for a start this is the Daily Star. The Sun, get all the attention of being the crap paper with the made up stories, but the Star are terrible as well. Maybe not as bad as the Sun, but still crap.

I highly doubt we're going to sign him. This is just a load of rubbish.

And as great a player as he is, hes not the midfielder we need.

Z

·
0 Posts
His agent is using us to scare Barca into offering him a better deal. Simple as that.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
No chance!

It will be a cold day in hell before that happens.
(or for the atheists, the was a beginning. )

He will retire at Barca.

Anyway, I'd prefer Iniesta - pure football.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
As much as i expect nothing, its more possible than you think. They offered him to Arsenal plus cash in exchange for Fabregas this summer, and he wants far more than they are offering. I know he's been there all his career, but who would have thought Beckham would leave us?

Anyways i still don't believe its true, but its not impossible.

Plus xavi is fantastic!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I can't see us buying anyone in January tbh unless we suffer an injury crisis of catastrophic proportions.

I like Xavi though. He's a great player.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I saw this rumour would be immense if we got him but no chance he wouldn't leave Barca especially mid season, plus we'd be paying 20-30 million.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Richie said:
As much as i expect nothing, its more possible than you think. They offered him to Arsenal plus cash in exchange for Fabregas this summer, and he wants far more than they are offering. I know he's been there all his career, but who would have thought Beckham would leave us?

Anyways i still don't believe its true, but its not impossible.

Plus xavi is fantastic!

That's an interesting point, but he was only offered in the hopes of landing Fabregas, who I think is as good as Xavi, but only 20 or 21.

Fab could potentially be a world-beater by age 26....

Back to Xavi, I highly doubt this rumour, but wouldn't mind one bit, if were to be wrong ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
hes quality cant see this happening nor do i think we especially need a central midfielder Possebon, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves (hopefully) all have plenty of miles left on the clock

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think we should charge royalty or something for these rumors. Everytime someone needs a new contract with a bumper deal the only team they get linked with is us. I think United are missing out on easy money ;)

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Like blade said...100% agree

I'm sure we'll be seeing him sign a new contract at barca soon...The guy is pure class and loyal too... Xavi is the past and present of the club, great player

Iniesta is class too and is present/future of the club but to be perfectly honest, i dont see either leaving barcelona...

pz

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pure ******** lol

I wouldn't mind him comming in and replacing Scholesy and giving us another option since Hargo is out but he is clearly a one club player which I admire and he will retire with Barca for sure.

No harm in trying though Fergie ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agree with Blade as well. all we are is a bargaining tool.
Plus if we were to buy a Barca midfielder i'd want Ineista. World class player
who doesn't get the coverage he should.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts