Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Of course (annoyingly enough :rolleyes:)
They have won 5 or 6 on the trot and look certs to reach the WC finals.
As soon as Capello took over myself and a fair few others on here knew it could
be the start of something massive. Dont ask Abo or RD though, they thought
England were the worst international team lmao. We have a big thread on
Capello and England somewhere so go find that and have a read.
I think England have as good a chance as anyone of winning the World Cup.
God help us if that ever happens, but the opportunity is still there for your
'golden generation'.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Yes!

McClaren inherited a side who were major championship quarter-finalists and turned them into a side who struggled to beat Andorra away. We were quite simply dreadful under McClaren and some of his tactical decisions (e.g. instead of bringing on Hargreaves at 2-2 against Croatia he dropped Defoe into central midfield) still annoy me today.

When Capello took over England were a shambles and completely devoid of confidence. It took him a while but now the confidence is back and we are playing like a team (not 11 inidividuals) again.

England have good players - they just need a coach who can get the best out of them. I do not think they are World beaters though and would be happy enough for us to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup again. However, there is an aura about Capello and it just makes you believe that he could be the man to take England even further. Whether that's the semi's, the final or World Cup winners only time will tell.

·
23,699 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Of course (annoyingly enough :rolleyes:)
They have won 5 or 6 on the trot and look certs to reach the WC finals.
As soon as Capello took over myself and a fair few others on here knew it could be the start of something massive. Dont ask Abo or RD though, they thought England were the worst international team lmao. We have a big thread on Capello and England somewhere so go find that and have a read.
I think England have as good a chance as anyone of winning the World Cup.
God help us if that ever happens, but the opportunity is still there for your
'golden generation'.
Count me in; I am a long-suffering England (sucker) fan. I am used to friends and relatives (including my wife) poking fun at my unintelligent choice while they happily (conveniently?) supported the traditional favourites like Argentina and Brazil. What to do when I grow up on English football and thus only know its national team completely since young. And being a faithful person only resigns me to be stucked in this hopeless rut... Until now?

As I said "somewhere" too, should there be any coach who can do the job for England, it has to be Capello. He seems serious enough (compares to a certain Swede), does inspire at least some confidence and hope with his vast experiences and enviable records, but most importantly, seems pragmatic enough (compares to his English predecessor) to be willing to get to the bottom of England's longstanding rot, like attempting to resolve Rooney's problematic role from the onset (compares with Fergie?).

And the results so far speak for itself, isn't it? Aside from some unthinkable outcomes like trashing Croatia, they are grinding out results even when they do not play well. That surely augers well for an international team to do well in major competitions.

Hoping I will be laughing stock no more.

·
23,699 Posts
guardian

Positive Capello revelling in the 'impossible job'

• England manager 'satisfied' with first 10 games
• Wayne Rooney will get better and better, he says

Fabio Capello has given himself high marks after taking the so-called impossible job as England manager and leading the team to eight wins in 10 games.

England are top of their World Cup qualifying group after four consecutive victories and Capello could not be happier. "They said this was the impossible job; instead it has been a pleasant year," Capello told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "It has been very positive, I am satisfied."

Capello is not the only one who is upbeat, with Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Geoff Hurst saying Capello could follow Sir Alf Ramsey and win the World Cup.Capello is flattered but cautious. "If they say that, it means that they appreciate my work," he said. "Frankly, however, I would wait to be placed close to a legend like Sir Alf."

Capello was appointed after England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008. His aim was to restore confidence and build self-belief by winning games. "I first needed to understand," he said. "I studied alongside my right-hand man, Franco Baldini. We watched so many games. We had to recreate a winning mentality. It has not been easy, but the team has grown game by game."

There were other changes off the pitch. "I have taken ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise off the table," he said. "Instead, I have put fresh sauces of the Mediterranean diet and the players like it."

Capello has also refused to become downhearted, even after England's friendly defeat to France in Paris back in March, his first as England manager. "I always see the glass half full," he said. "After our defeat in Paris, I thanked my players. They looked at me with a look of incredulity. But up to France's goal, they had played a great game. In Zagreb [against Croatia], they all played showing confidence. Now we have leaders that inspire the youngsters to do well."

Capello is maintaining calm and refuses to take it for granted that England have all but guaranteed a spot in the World Cup in South Africa. "Absolutely not," he said. "We have done very well up to now, but the Premier League is hard and we will have to see the fitness of the players in spring and the summer."

One who has impressed Capello most has been Wayne Rooney. "Rooney is a striker that plays all over the pitch, and scores," he said. "Those types of players are not easy to find. The more he matures, the more he will be decisive and the more he will score."

Despite his positive start, Capello has not changed his intentions for when his contract finishes in the summer of 2012. "I have decided that after this contract I will retire," he said, "even if a big club wanted me."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts