Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who actually sang it first?

It was sung after the munich tragedy. wasnt't it?
But thoes fools from lfc say they have poof from panaroma coverage of them singing it first??
Either way why din't our fans ever start it on the terraces?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Celtic
And we did used to sing it, stopped around mid 80s after Liverpool decided to take it as their definitive anthem

·
23,699 Posts
Sure You'll Never Walk Alone because there are so many other fans walking forlornly beside you - there is only one Champion.

Manchester United.

·
Registered
61 Posts
J_Stand said:
Celtic
And we did used to sing it, stopped around mid 80s after Liverpool decided to take it as their definitive anthem
you have that one spot on,it was sung in glasgow fro the late 50s and stolen from us by the scousers...its celtics anthem..always has been:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
mikeybhoy71 said:
you have that one spot on,it was sung in glasgow fro the late 50s and stolen from us by the scousers...its celtics anthem..always has been:D
the words stolen and scousers appearing in the same sentence. Nah!!! Never!!!:D

one thing they can't tea leave is the league trophy any time soon. By the time they win the championship again we will have well overtaken them. They'll be walking alone off their perch long before Fergie jacks it in:)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Sorry to pee on anybody's bonfire but WE have NEVER sung this. It has always been an LFC thing, since at least the early 60s. It may have been sung after MUnich and before LFC adopted it (mainly due to Gerry & Pacemakers releasing it) but it would have only been a one off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Red Devil said:
Sorry to pee on anybody's bonfire but WE have NEVER sung this. It has always been an LFC thing, since at least the early 60s. It may have been sung after MUnich and before LFC adopted it (mainly due to Gerry & Pacemakers releasing it) but it would have only been a one off.
wrong united did sing it mate and it was only adopted by the vermin and dropped by united when it went into the charts with gerry and the pacemakers,the song is from a musical and has no liverpool connections untill it hit the charts,i'm sure if you search even you tube you will find it being sung by united.fact.depending on your age though it may seem like bullshit,i'm 41 and have never heard it but my old fella 72 says different.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Not saying this is right - it's all I could find on the subject though.

Who sang you'll never walk alone first liverpool or celtic?

Liverpool Football Club

There is overwhelming evidence that Liverpool Football Club supporters were the
first to sing this song en masse. The song was famously covered by Liverpool
group 'Gerry and the Pacemakers' in 1963. At this time, supporters standing on
the Spion Kop terrace at Anfield began singing popular chart songs of the day.
The mood was precisely captured on camera by a BBC Panorama camera crew in
1964. One year later, when Liverpool met Leeds United in the F.A. Cup final, the
travelling Kop sang the same song and match commentator Kenneth
Wolstenholme commended the "Liverpool signature tune". Liverpudlians have
been singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' since 1963. Fully 44 years.

Celtic sang it on one or two occasions during the 1970s, along with several other
British clubs, specifically during crucial cup games. Then nothing worthy of note
until 1989, when they hosted Liverpool in a fundraiser for the victims of the
Hillsborough disaster. Both sets of fans sang it together as a symbol of unity and
support. Only in the years to follow - as both clubs repeatedly came together in a
series of friendly matches - did Celtic begin to sing it with any degree of
frequency, otherwise they have no legitimate claim to the song, nor is there any
credible evidence seriously linking them to it. Liverpool can adduce written
materials and video evidence.

Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she, together
with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society, decided to sing the song at "one
of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute,
before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her.
This
would predate Gerry Marsden's faster-paced cover version by five years, if true.
However, as one Liverpool supporter scoffed:

"Anyone who has watched/listened to Carousel will tell you that the composition
and performance of the musical version with the popular Gerry Marsden version
sounds completely different."

Put another way, Hardwick may have been an aspiring opera singer, but it's hard
to imagine the Old Trafford faithful belting out an operatic version of 'You'll Never
Walk Alone'. Moreover, nothing is recorded on film or in print media of this most
emotional of moments. Her claim remains unsupported and, given the bitter
rivalry between clubs, deserves no serious attention.

And so in conclusion, Liverpool were the first to adopt this song and are by far the
most consistent singers. No other club comes close.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_sang_you'll_never_walk_alone_first_liverpool_or_celtic

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I have stood on the Stretford End since 1965 - we have NEVER sung it. BUT, we have sung "You'll Never Walk Again" - which is possibly why people think WE did song it.

When You walk, though a storm
Hold your head up high
and dont be afraid of the dark
At the end of the day
**************************** (cant recall this line)
and you'll never walk again, nooooooooo you'll neeeeveeeeeeeer walk AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Not saying this is right - it's all I could find on the subject though.

Who sang you'll never walk alone first liverpool or celtic?

Liverpool Football Club

There is overwhelming evidence that Liverpool Football Club supporters were the
first to sing this song en masse. The song was famously covered by Liverpool
group 'Gerry and the Pacemakers' in 1963. At this time, supporters standing on
the Spion Kop terrace at Anfield began singing popular chart songs of the day.
The mood was precisely captured on camera by a BBC Panorama camera crew in
1964. One year later, when Liverpool met Leeds United in the F.A. Cup final, the
travelling Kop sang the same song and match commentator Kenneth
Wolstenholme commended the "Liverpool signature tune". Liverpudlians have
been singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' since 1963. Fully 44 years.

Celtic sang it on one or two occasions during the 1970s, along with several other
British clubs, specifically during crucial cup games. Then nothing worthy of note
until 1989, when they hosted Liverpool in a fundraiser for the victims of the
Hillsborough disaster. Both sets of fans sang it together as a symbol of unity and
support. Only in the years to follow - as both clubs repeatedly came together in a
series of friendly matches - did Celtic begin to sing it with any degree of
frequency, otherwise they have no legitimate claim to the song, nor is there any
credible evidence seriously linking them to it. Liverpool can adduce written
materials and video evidence.

Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she, together
with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society, decided to sing the song at "one
of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute,
before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her.
This
would predate Gerry Marsden's faster-paced cover version by five years, if true.
However, as one Liverpool supporter scoffed:

"Anyone who has watched/listened to Carousel will tell you that the composition
and performance of the musical version with the popular Gerry Marsden version
sounds completely different."

Put another way, Hardwick may have been an aspiring opera singer, but it's hard
to imagine the Old Trafford faithful belting out an operatic version of 'You'll Never
Walk Alone'. Moreover, nothing is recorded on film or in print media of this most
emotional of moments. Her claim remains unsupported and, given the bitter
rivalry between clubs, deserves no serious attention.

And so in conclusion, Liverpool were the first to adopt this song and are by far the
most consistent singers. No other club comes close.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_sang_you'll_never_walk_alone_first_liverpool_or_celtic
your absolutely wrong carly...the celtic fans sung this song since 1957...it was written by rogers and hammerstein and performed in the theatres in glasgow in the mid 1950s,a large group of celtic supporters attended one of these performances and adopted the song...liverpool played celtic at celtic park in a friendly in the early 70s and the song has since been sung at anfield...if you need further evidence...the fields of anfield road ....the fields of athenry...again stolen from celtic:mad:

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
mikeybhoy71 said:
your absolutely wrong carly...the celtic fans sung this song since 1957...it was written by rogers and hammerstein and performed in the theatres in glasgow in the mid 1950s,a large group of celtic supporters attended one of these performances and adopted the song...liverpool played celtic at celtic park in a friendly in the early 70s and the song has since been sung at anfield...if you need further evidence...the fields of anfield road ....the fields of athenry...again stolen from celtic:mad:
I'm not wrong bloody hell.....

I said this is all I can find on the subject nothing to do with me......

I find information this is all...........

·
Registered
61 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I'm not wrong bloody hell.....

I said this is all I can find on the subject nothing to do with me......

I find information this is all...........
THEN THE SOURCE OF YOUR INFORMATION IS WRONG!!!...BAN ME IF YOU LIKE!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
mikeybhoy71 said:
THEN THE SOURCE OF YOUR INFORMATION IS WRONG!!!...BAN ME IF YOU LIKE!!!
mmmm cos the inhabitants of glasgow frequented the places likely to perform musicals did they,funny,my dads as jock as they come and when and if he earned enough cash in them days,he was lucky if he could afford to feed the family,take me mam to bingo and shout the kids a chippy dinner,**** right off with your false celtic propoganda,the musical if you would like to check facts,was not shown in scotland apart from edinburgh untill five years after it had done the rounds in english cities,stop it with your celtic crap if you support them you do not support united as any man big as he is has only enough room in his heart for one team.
ps. my old fellas 70+ and heard ynwa many times at ot BEFORE it ever became a liverpool song as made famous by gerry and the pick pockets thats a fact and i absolutely hate the ****ing song and wish we'd never sang it,which should tell you something bhoy,i'm posting facts,not pro celtic propoganda,you and the vermin can have/keep the song,i'd rather you bomb lobbing bastards and the murdering vermin never set foot in our ground again..trully scum..you ira sympathising ****ers the lot of you,take your tri colours and keep them where they belong..not manchester..not..england.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
corbyred said:
mmmm cos the inhabitants of glasgow frequented the places likely to perform musicals did they,funny,my dads as jock as they come and when and if he earned enough cash in them days,he was lucky if he could afford to feed the family,take me mam to bingo and shout the kids a chippy dinner,**** right off with your false celtic propoganda,the musical if you would like to check facts,was not shown in scotland apart from edinburgh untill five years after it had done the rounds in english cities,stop it with your celtic crap if you support them you do not support united as any man big as he is has only enough room in his heart for one team.
ps. my old fellas 70+ and heard ynwa many times at ot BEFORE it ever became a liverpool song as made famous by gerry and the pick pockets thats a fact and i absolutely hate the ****ing song and wish we'd never sang it,which should tell you something bhoy,i'm posting facts,not pro celtic propoganda,you and the vermin can have/keep the song,i'd rather you bomb lobbing bastards and the murdering vermin never set foot in our ground again..trully scum..you ira sympathising ****ers the lot of you,take your tri colours and keep them where they belong..not manchester..not..england.
Oh God here we go again.....

Corbyred has had a drink and we have to put up with his ranting and raving !!!

Listen to me Mr.....

You might have your political views - and your "I'M A TRUE RED" attitude - but try and keep it civil OK !!

Already you tell me I'm 'just' a female etc etc......but so what ?

Yes we know your the best and you're all this and all that........

I'm sure you have many fans world wide - but here you're just the same as anyone else.......if you don't like it - then why keep coming here.

Normally I would ban you for what you said - on this occassion I will overlook it.....

Why ?

Because I know you are a great United fan of course.........

But for God's sake show some decorum and be nice to others.......

One more outburst like this and you can go away - sorry but we dont look for this here on 'our' forum.............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.