Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the good thing about manchester united is that we have a good blend of young and old players

but sometimes this can be an issue in my opinion.

of corse you have your untouchables who in my eyes are ronaldo, rooney, rio, carrick, vidic and evra. but as for the rest you have abit of a mixture.

on one hand you have some amazing elder states men like giggs, scholes, VDS and nev, also some good older players such as berbatov, oshea to speak of a few

then we also have many talented youth players nani, anderson, tosic and welbeck to speak of a few

but what do you feel the united starting 11 might be more like?

more experienced and likely to calm a situation when it needs calming and although maybe slower still get a result grinded out?

or would you like to see a fast young spritely youth side who although may not win a match with the ease of the experienced player it also helps build us a side for the future?

what do you think? youth FTW or Experience FTW or do you not care aslong as we win?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Personally I prefer a mixture. You need the youth for the energy and fearless approach they take, the experience for keeping things in check and to lead.

It can differ from game to game. Example, in Europe the more experience in the starting 11 the better cos its going to be a tighter affair. In the league, where there is no away goals to worry about it's easier to have more of the younger players involved. Since there are more league games in a season than Europe its good to give the 'kids' a run to get them adapted to the league

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
since SAF got things moving we have always kept the perfect balance of youth and experience which has worked out pret well i'd say.
it works so well for us becaude genrally we keep players a long time which means we have continuity aswell and the young players become more experienced and then become the older players and so on- we have created a cycle of players really and every now and again you add a big name buy to the mix and it seems even now after all these years that general set-up is still the same and working well

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You cannot beat youth and the hunger for success , remember hansens famous rant "you cannae win nothing with kids" and we did the double.
If you are good enough you are old enough

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Not every game is the same, certain situations require calm heads and experience and some require youthful exuberance and nonstop 90 minutes running.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
You need both.

The 3 best cases I can think to prove this are:

Milan - too old, not even in the Champions League this year.

Manutd - Perfect blend, winning trophy after trophy.

Arsenal - too young (or they were), battling for 4th place.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I prefer youngsters, they tendentiall have more character
and are less robotic.

I'd have Possebon and Rafael Da Silva in my starting line up
week in and week out, Fabio would have a few games and
Petrucci and Macheda would be getting a good few games
themselves. I'd let Tevez leave and would never have bought
Berbatov.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I prefer youngsters, they tendentiall have more character
and are less robotic.

I'd have Possebon and Rafael Da Silva in my starting line up
week in and week out, Fabio would have a few games and
Petrucci and Macheda would be getting a good few games
themselves. I'd let Tevez leave and would never have bought
Berbatov.
You still need experience to be successful, just look at arsenal.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
You still need experience to be successful, just look at arsenal.
Arsenal aren't inexperienced. They're undisciplined.

Gallas, Nasri, Adebayor, Fabregas, Almunia, Toure, Rosicky, Eboue,
Silvestre, Eduardo, Van Persie and Arshavin can't be called inexperienced.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Arsenal aren't inexperienced. They're undisciplined.

Gallas, Nasri, Adebayor, Fabregas, Almunia, Toure, Rosicky, Eboue,
Silvestre and Arshavin can't be called inexperienced.
considering experience and discipline are interchangeable, I still would say they lack experience. ( except with gallas, he is just a ****.)

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
That's ridiculous. Experience and discipline aren't interchangeable
at all.
just look at rooney mate, didnt he have a discipline problem before he came in here, the fact is the more you mature ie get experience, the more disciplined you are. When I said arsenal lack experience I tend to include that they can not win in crucial situations, and they tend to lack the character and discipline you get when you are experienced.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
just look at rooney mate, didnt he have a discipline problem before he came in here, the fact is the more you mature ie get experience, the more disciplined you are. When I said arsenal lack experience I tend to include that they can not win in crucial situations, and they tend to lack the character and discipline you get when you are experienced.
Rooney isn't disciplined, neither is Ronaldo. They are given way
too much freedom to do as they please.

Arsenal are undisciplined in the way that they don't get the
"hairdryer treatment" as much as our players do. The only
player who could keep them in line could be Gallas but he
gets undermined.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Rooney`s discipline has improved, only the timing tho. Just look at him when under massive pressure, He`s no better than he was 4 years ago. He doesn`t get that nervous quickly, but that is still there and he has shown it recently.
I am not moaning about this as i always liked Rooney`s attitude.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Rooney isn't disciplined, neither is Ronaldo. They are given way
too much freedom to do as they please.

Arsenal are undisciplined in the way that they don't get the
"hairdryer treatment" as much as our players do. The only
player who could keep them in line could be Gallas but he
gets undermined.
But my point is you get discipline as you get experience, you learn that to make a real title run you have to buckle down and behave, you are right rooney is not 100 % disciplined but compared to his everton days and when he first came in here his attitude has really improved. I guarantee that in a couple of years you will see not see fabregas more disciplined, and it wont necessarily come down to wenger giving them a hairdryer treatment.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I don't think Rooney's discipline has improved. Against the Ukraine he still made some shocking tackles.

I don't mind him raging, he's a fiery, passionate, player. However I draw the line at reckless challenges.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I don't think Rooney's discipline has improved. Against the Ukraine he still made some shocking tackles.

I don't mind him raging, he's a fiery, passionate, player. However I draw the line at reckless challenges.
of course it has to some extent. He is always going to be passionate, but his discipline has definitely improved.

·
23,699 Posts
I would still advocate a good blend of youth and experience.

While youth gives us much excitement, promise and raw energy, we still need the experienced players to show the way, be it on the pitch or in training or when the pressure is mounting in the title chase, or just simply the professional attitudes and the way of life a player should lead eg Giggs and Gary. We must have read enough of the younger players expressing deep admiration and amazement for the achievements and professional lifestyle of these old guards too. Such role models in the dressing room are most invaluable and inspiring for them to emulate, which can only auger well for us in the future.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts

While youth gives us much excitement, promise and raw energy, we still need the experienced players to show the way, be it on the pitch or in training or when the pressure is mounting in the title chase, or just simply the professional attitudes and the way of life a player should lead eg Giggs and Gary. We must have read enough of the younger players expressing deep admiration and amazement for the achievements and professional lifestyle of these old guards too. Such role models in the dressing room are most invaluable and inspiring for them to emulate, which can only auger well for us in the future.
word V!
I echo what you have said. great post.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts

agreed, thats the winning formula right there. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts