Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR the first time this season Alex Ferguson has all four of his superstar forwards — Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez AND Dimitar Berbatov — available for selection.

It's a selection dilemma any manager would give his right arm to have.
I'll be intrigued to see who gets the nod at Chelsea tomorrow ... because there is no way he can start with all four in such a crucial game.
If Ronaldo has not suffered any reaction to his half an hour against Villarreal the other night, he has to play.

United need him to help them get an early goal, something they can hold on to. If he runs out of steam later in the game, take him off.
No one offers so many options, so much variety as Ronaldo. Chelsea are scared of no one, but he's the one player who will make them think twice.
Everyone expected him to battle it out with Ashley Cole in last season's Champions League final.

But Alex outfoxed everyone by playing Ronaldo down the left, where he was able to get ahead of Michael Essien to head United into an early lead.
That is the great thing about Ronaldo, his incredible versatility. Wide right, wide left or breaking through the middle, he's almost impossible to pin down.

To complement his skills, I'd go with Rooney and Tevez, two incredibly hard workers who are both happy to drop off or drift out wide to create spaces in the penalty area for others.
United obtained all their success last season with those three in tandem. In a game of such magnitude, they should stick with their tried and trusted formula.
That means there would be no room for Berbatov in my team tomorrow, not because I don't rate him but simply because I think he is still adapting to life at United.

And this is a game where Alex needs all his players to hit the ground running.
I have no doubts that Berbatov will prove to be a sensational signing in time.
United were a striker short last season and couldn't rely on Louis Saha. There was something missing in certain games and they can't bank on Ronaldo scoring another 40 goals this time.

But when United played with Berbatov and Tevez up front at Liverpool last week and Rooney wide on the right, it simply didn't work.
Rooney was isolated and ineffective and United were overrun in midfield. They were anaemic and lacklustre against a very well organised Liverpool team who were set up to smother them and achieved their aim.
Tomorrow's game will be won and lost in midfield. United simply cannot afford to be outnumbered by Chelsea in this department.

That's why I believe Alex will have Ronaldo on the right, Rooney on the left, Darren Fletcher, Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes in the middle and Tevez up front on his own.
By playing that way, United can stifle the forward runs of Chelsea full-backs Jose Bosingwa and Ashley Cole.

They're the players Phil Scolari relies on to provide the width. But will they be bold enough to charge forward if it means giving Ronaldo or Rooney the chance to get in behind them?
It will be like a game of poker with both teams calling each other's bluff. How many risks are you prepared to take when the opposition are so devastating on the counter-attack?

I expect Chelsea to play a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Jon Obi Mikel never vacating that space in front of his back four, Joe Cole looking to pierce the defence like he did for England against Andorra and Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack and Deco all breaking into the box from deep.
Nicolas Anelka has been playing with a lot of confidence recently but it wouldn't surprise me to see Didier Drogba leading the line tomorrow, particularly as United have Nemanja Vidic suspended.

Alex must decide whether to go with Wes Brown or young Johnny Evans in the middle of his defence. I suspect he'll go with the more experienced Brown at centre-half and Gary Neville at right-back.
It is a huge match for both sides and neither manager will need to give much of a team-talk before this one.
Chelsea are still stinging about Moscow and desperate to make an early statement of intent.

United know they cannot afford to lose and allow Chelsea to open up a nine-point gap over them.
United simply MUST get something from this match, but Chelsea at home are virtually unbeatable.
I'm going for a home win.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Drew9 said:
Nothing like being positive then.

its taken from the sun

a artical writting by that famious SPURS FAN TERRY VENABLES

i cant even be bothered to read it after i knew who it was written by lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its not a bad article in fairness to Venables. He's not having a go at Berbatov,
just making the point that he's not settled in the team yet and we need players
to know exactly what there about at Stamford Bridge. Not saying thats how I
feel but thats all he means.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i didnt want us to sign berbatov as he is to similar to what we already have .

now he is here however he must get games to bed in with the rest of the team .

its possible that by the time he has fitted in that the title is beyond us .

it does seem that 3 in a row is rare due to constant need to recreate sides for retirees and new arrivals , the teams that fail to freshen and take that risk wither on the vine .

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
haggler said:
i didnt want us to sign berbatov as he is to similar to what we already have .

now he is here however he must get games to bed in with the rest of the team .

its possible that by the time he has fitted in that the title is beyond us .

it does seem that 3 in a row is rare due to constant need to recreate sides for retirees and new arrivals , the teams that fail to freshen and take that risk wither on the vine .

the major difference is that berbatov scores more goals , and thats utds major problem the strikers department isn't scoring enough ,we need a clinical striker to push this team onto the next level {performance wise}.the utd team from 93-95 was called the dream team because they played with such style and were scoring for fun ,the present team do not perform to those levels at the moment but with a few tweaks and gaining experience i expect them to get there.and please lets give berbatov a fair chance to settle before anybody condemns him because the guy is a top quality entertainer and thats what all football fans should want to see.

·
Registered
736 Posts
i think berba will be on the bench......he could be our super sub......he need think to develop along side ronaldo....this match is a serious match if we lose than we will be 9 point behind chelsea with a game on hand......

·
Registered
601 Posts
we need berba to play, he will be important against terry. if berba plays terry will be on berba and this is a chance to break down the chelsea defense by berba using his strength, airel ability and a way of loosing his marker. This is a another chance fo rooney or tevez to be fed in by the holding berba. I didnt watch the game against liverpool and i dont know if this is how berba had to play?.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Berbatov is needed in the lineup. He brings a lot to United's attack.

If this isn't the lineup then we have a prob:

--------------------------VDS---------------------------
--Brown-------Ferdinand----Evans--------Evra---
-Ronaldo----Anderson----Hargreaves---Nani--- [Ronaldo & Nani switched maybe]
---------------------------Rooney--------------------- [Tevez in 2nd half]
----------------Berbatov------------------------------

·
Registered
601 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
Berbatov is needed in the lineup. He brings a lot to United's attack.

If this isn't the lineup then we have a prob:

--Brown-------Ferdinand----Evans--------Evra---
---------------------------Rooney--------------------- [Tevez in 2nd half]

i would only change it a bit

--neville-------Ferdinand----brown--------Evra---
---------------------------tevez--------------------- [rooney in 2nd half]
----------------Berbatov------------------------------[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I always thought Torres would have been a great signing for us, but it wasn't to be.
Some members point out that he didn't cause us much trouble last season, but he's still young and already very, very good.

More mobile than Berba and a very good finisher.

Anyways, Berba is class and he's our player now, so he needs to play. Barring injury, I'd have him start and drop either Rooney or tevez.

I know CQ has said that Fergie will try to fit all three into on team, but that means playing Rooney or Tev out of position and that doesn't seem right to me.

Berbatov and Tevez upfront for me.

My line-up

Berbatov-Tevez

Nani - Anderson - Hargreaves - Ronaldo

Evra - Evans - Ferdinand - Brown

VDS
or

Berbatov

Rooney----------Ronaldo

Anderson - Hargreaves - Scholes

Evra - Evans - Ferdinand - Brown

VDS​

·
Registered
550 Posts
trikam patel said:
i would only change it a bit

--neville-------Ferdinand----brown--------Evra---
---------------------------tevez--------------------- [rooney in 2nd half]
Neville has been a bit useless this season. Brown makes me nervous as CB. Tevez's energy is needed in the 2nd half; if he starts then he must stay on.

I actually wouldn't care if Rooney was left out. He certainly doesn't seem to care this season. Maybe he'll change when played more in the right position. He used to be my favourite player but definitely isn't any more. If I see the passion only then can I live with hopeless finishing.

If I was the manager this would be my lineup:

----------------------Kuszczak-------------------------
--Rafael------Ferdinand------Evans-------Evra----
--Nani-----Anderson----Hargreaves--Ronaldo---
----------------------------Tevez-----------------------
-------------------Berbatov----------------------------

Won't happen though.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
we got lots of good player in our squad and what we need is to pick up the best selection that will bring us 3 points.

i think we should play Berbatov because his physical presence upfront will surely upset Terry & co that we have lacked in recent years.

With Ronaldo or the right and Nani on the left i think we will keep pressurizing Chuski.

My team

----------------------------------------------------------VDS---------------------------------------------------------
Evra----------------------------Evans------------------------------------Rio--------------------------------Rafael
--------------------------------------------schole/hargo------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------andersson--------------------------------------
Ronaldo---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nani
----------------------------Tevez/Rooney---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------Berbatov-----------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
601 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
Neville has been a bit useless this season. Brown makes me nervous as CB. Tevez's energy is needed in the 2nd half; if he starts then he must stay on.

I actually wouldn't care if Rooney was left out. He certainly doesn't seem to care this season. Maybe he'll change when played more in the right position. He used to be my favourite player but definitely isn't any more. If I see the passion only then can I live with hopeless finishing.

Won't happen though.

its still a good team, rafeal and evens not sure about it with the game being chelsea. That is the other problem now with united selling silvestre and pique it has opened up problems. But i still have faith in our squads mentality.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
ManUtd19 said:

Won't happen though.

Good line-up, but I doubt Fergie will blood Rafael in a game like this, so I think Brown will start at RB and the rest your team looks perfect to me :)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
He has a point though. Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez & Ronaldo are going to be difficult to fit in together. Maybe impossible.

If we played 4 - 3 - 3 than maybe Rooney and Tevez could flank Berbatov. Maybe. There is only one fact. Rooney can't play as a right midfielder.

He loves to drop back but frankly he's rubbish whenever he does. He is a striker. Theoretically 4 - 3 - 3 could accommodate 3 strikers.

Except we all know it takes a certain type of striker to play out wide in 4 - 3 - 3. Even the likes of Del Piero, Ibrahimovic & Henry can't play out wide.

I don't know whether playing up front on the right would be any better for Rooney than playing right midfield further back.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Versus Vilaareal if we had Berbatov we could had won cuz there was no end product despite our unstoppable attacking as we had many chances but yet again lacked a finisher
but versus Chelsea we wont have many chances as Chelsea's back four is very good
but with a large amount of pace in our attack we would have more chances

1 - 20 of 31 Posts