Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
haggler said:
i didnt want us to sign berbatov as he is to similar to what we already have .

now he is here however he must get games to bed in with the rest of the team .

its possible that by the time he has fitted in that the title is beyond us .

it does seem that 3 in a row is rare due to constant need to recreate sides for retirees and new arrivals , the teams that fail to freshen and take that risk wither on the vine .
Berbatov has already stated he wants to develop into a better player and more of an out and out striker...and he can do that at united, so i dont see how he is similar to what we have?

·
23,699 Posts
Buyer's remorse for some kicking in, eh? ;)

Although he was not my preferred choice and I remain unconvinced after the Liverpool game, now that he is here, let's give him a few more games.

My biggest fear is still us feeding long and high ball to him, especially when we run out of ideas or when we are playing badly. And just like when he was at Spurs and like we have debated in the forum here, he disappeared with the team at Anfailed and certainly didn't look capable of inspiring.

But perhaps it was only his first game for us. Or perhaps he is still trying to settle in. So to be perfectly objective and fair, let's hold our horses for a while more.

It is going to be tough to fit in the Heavenly Four and I have no idea how at the moment. Some recent media reports, after a less than encouraging performances by us since the season kicked off, have indeed been calling for Rooney to be dropped due to the excellent form of Tevez in contrast to his and at the same time, implicitly suggesting that it is not as feasible or effective as we first anticipated for the dream combination. Interestingly too, that would also mean implicitly suggesting that Berbatov is a given to be in the starting lineup whenever he is fit. Really? I would say not until he has proven his salt in our colours.

Being his only target the entire summer and thus he must surely be the missing link, I hope Fergie got it right about Berbatov and that he indeed had a master plan to accomodate everybody

On evidences so far, however, I find no reason to be encouraged. He promised to restore Rooney back to his central role to help him recover his form but is not doing so, probably due to Tevez. Maybe he is still figuring out just like us? I suspect.

Now that Ronaldo is fit and raring to go again, the permutations are getting even more complex. We should find out more sooner than later.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i would try and rotate ronnie and nani through the game as ashley cole has had the measure of ronaldo over the years . essien will be a loss for them

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
i have always thought rooney might play best in a scholes role sat behind front two.

he has the same combatitive nature and would possibly thrive in that position. some of his best goals have been coming in from that position, most notably the screamer against Newcastle at Old Trafford couple of seasons back.

-----tevez------ ----------berbatov---------
---giggs---- --------rooney-------- -----ronaldo------
--------carrick----------

but playing wayne on the right has very rarely worked for both team and wayne

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
sean2689 said:
Berbatov has already stated he wants to develop into a better player and more of an out and out striker...and he can do that at united, so i dont see how he is similar to what we have?
by that i mean he is not a target man in the mould of say huntelaar . he says he wants to develop but saying and doing can be easier said than done . i do not doubt he is a quality player and indeed i moaned that when we had nistelroy in side we were too predictable . i still would have preferred fergie to have got benzema or huntelaar ... as he is here now as i said we must bite the bullett while he settles and maybe concede title will be out of reach before he gels . if he turns into a linekar/law type player i will be delighted as we create hatloads of chances in most games .

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I seriously agree with the article, Im a huge berbatov fan, but the fact is we have to make the sure thing and put in the team that we know can play together with rooney and tevez up top. I also agree with him saying that he is not quite settled in united, and imo we should bring him in slowly into the lineup.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
The article does make some strong points. The only option i would see to have all 4 at the same time would force one of them further back, only that would take the place of someone like Anderson, for example. And I don't think any of the 3 can do what Anderson does. Maybe Tevez will, but I don't see him there yet.

What I think SAF can do is push the level and speed of play, forcing the defenders with constant shifts with the attackers. If your attackers get too tired, you can call in the reserves.

For example, play with Ronnie, Rooney, Berba and Giggs, and change Rooney and giggs to nani and tevez in the 2nd half. That way you keep the game at a high pace, forcing the defenders to get tired, and pushing them to make mistakes. Terri, after all, is not know for speed, and since they're so happy he's playing, well, why not make them regret it? ;)

My main concern about the game is how to stop their midfield, deco, lampard, cole...

·
Registered
566 Posts
abojodeh said:
Versus Vilaareal if we had Berbatov we could had won cuz there was no end product despite our unstoppable attacking as we had many chances but yet again lacked a finisher
but versus Chelsea we wont have many chances as Chelsea's back four is very good
but with a large amount of pace in our attack we would have more chances
what you are saying makes no sense as it is contradicting.
so what even if we have more chances, we have no one to finish them off then isnt it the same as the villareal game?
and i dont see how berbatov will allegedly slow down our pacy attack so much.
anyway i dont care who starts as long as we win and get back on track :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For me Berba should only not start if he is injured or doubtful and then maybe should come off the bench BUT if he is fit enough he imo should START as he has scored 3 times vs Chelsea at his time with Spurs and certainly knows how to get past them! I would partner Tevez off him in a traditional United 4-4-2 with Ronaldo and Nani/Park on the wings and have an English central duo of Hargo and Scholes. After the performance vs Villareal for me I would rather have O'Shea start in defence or even Evans or even Rafeal Da Silva as Neville is quite off his full form/best.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Tevez should have atleats came on just before kalou scored, chelsea were looking like they could sneak a goal from wingers hitting the ball in the box. Rooney should not have given a pointless free kick away. This is uniteds weakness set pieces in and around 40 yards

21 - 31 of 31 Posts