Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the highlights of the UEFA CUP semi between them and Bayern. They not only comprehensively dismantled a "European Giant" but they did so with style and without conceding a goal. On aggregate the score ended up 5 - 1 to the Russians. Yet they are languishing in 10th place in the Russian Premier League. The truly ironic thing is that both Bayern and Fiorentina, who lost to Ranger's, will both almost certainly be playing in the Champions League next season. To me that isn't fair. Perhaps the most ironic thing is that the magnificent & beautiful football Zenit have been playing will not even be seen in the UEFA CUP next season unless they win the blooming Cup this season! My question is this, having proved themselves against three Champions League worthy competitors in Bayern, Villareal & Leverkusen, if Zenit win the UEFA Cup should there be a special rule that allows them the chance to have a go at the Champions League?

Personally I feel that Zenit would be as good a chance as most, Bayern & Villareal, and possibly a bigger challenge than some who really shouldn't be there at all *COUGH* Fiorentina *COUGH*. I think there should be a rule that takes into account the fact that some teams are born for European competition yet cannot get there because they stink domestically. You know sticking up for the relatively smaller teams like Zenit or Liverpool :D. When you think about it the best CL tie this year was Fenerbahce Vs Sevilla. 2 games. 10 goals. Awesome entertainment. If Platini wants to spice up European football he should start looking for the teams that are European entertainers. Sevilla, Fenerbahce, Zenit . Also I'm looking forward to seeing the new look Juventus [;ay in the Champions League next season. I truly enjoy watching them and I believe they are playing the most beautiful football in Serie A and possibly the most beautiful football in Europe. Alongside Juve I also enjoy watching Sampdoria. I'd love to see them in the Champions League.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
dlan4327 said:
I was watching the highlights of the UEFA CUP semi between them and Bayern. They not only comprehensively dismantled a "European Giant" but they did so with style and without conceding a goal. On aggregate the score ended up 5 - 1 to the Russians. Yet they are languishing in 10th place in the Russian Premier League. The truly ironic thing is that both Bayern and Fiorentina, who lost to Ranger's, will both almost certainly be playing in the Champions League next season. To me that isn't fair. Perhaps the most ironic thing is that the magnificent & beautiful football Zenit have been playing will not even be seen in the UEFA CUP next season unless they win the blooming Cup this season! My question is this, having proved themselves against three Champions League worthy competitors in Bayern, Villareal & Leverkusen, if Zenit win the UEFA Cup should there be a special rule that allows them the chance to have a go at the Champions League?

Personally I feel that Zenit would be as good a chance as most, Bayern & Villareal, and possibly a bigger challenge than some who really shouldn't be there at all *COUGH* Fiorentina *COUGH*. I think there should be a rule that takes into account the fact that some teams are born for European competition yet cannot get there because they stink domestically. You know sticking up for the relatively smaller teams like Zenit or Liverpool :D. When you think about it the best CL tie this year was Fenerbahce Vs Sevilla. 2 games. 10 goals. Awesome entertainment. If Platini wants to spice up European football he should start looking for the teams that are European entertainers. Sevilla, Fenerbahce, Zenit . Also I'm looking forward to seeing the new look Juventus [;ay in the Champions League next season. I truly enjoy watching them and I believe they are playing the most beautiful football in Serie A and possibly the most beautiful football in Europe. Alongside Juve I also enjoy watching Sampdoria. I'd love to see them in the Champions League.
Zenit champions in Russia(2007)!They will play in Champions Lige in the season(2008-2009) And they play good in Russia.Not panic!:D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
You can't qualify for the Champions League by playing well against 2 or 3 top sides in a knockout tournament. It would make a mockery of the competition.

Don't forget that sides finishing 3rd in the Champions League groups drop down to the UEFA Cup so you're bound to face some tough opposition.

Middlesborough reached the UEFA Cup Final a couple of years ago but they are nowhere near good enough to compete in the Champions League.

Besides, surely the winners of the UEFA Cup should defend their trophy the following season?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
nah, u have to play well in your league to get into champions league, there is no other way than that.
from what i see, knockout competition suits them more than league football because of their counter attacking style. they came in as underdog every single matches in the uefa cup this season so far, and the status of underdog suits them very well. they could yet do well in the champions league, but if u cant do well enough in ur own league, u still dont deserve a spot.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deep down I know you're all correct but still... The only reason I suggested this is because we all know the adage that European success more often than not comes from teams that are having an absolute shocker of a run at home. It just makes me wonder how many teams are currently languishing mid table yet would be flourishing in European competition if they were allowed to compete. You really can't deny that some teams are just made for Europe. Liverpool, Milan, once upon a time Real Madrid & Bayern but not just at the moment. Zenit strike me as one of those European surprise packages. Perhaps more importantly they are a smaller club with lower expectations. Nobody expects anything more than they try their best. It gives them something to fight for and gives them the confidence to play the way they want to. They're just having a ball on a roller coaster ride and it doesn't matter whether they fall off because they've already got further than anyone expected. It's just like Fenerbahce and Sevilla. We need more teams like those in Europe and Zenit are one of them.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Deep down I know you're all correct but still... The only reason I suggested this is because we all know the adage that European success more often than not comes from teams that are having an absolute shocker of a run at home. It just makes me wonder how many teams are currently languishing mid table yet would be flourishing in European competition if they were allowed to compete. You really can't deny that some teams are just made for Europe. Liverpool, Milan, once upon a time Real Madrid & Bayern but not just at the moment. Zenit strike me as one of those European surprise packages. Perhaps more importantly they are a smaller club with lower expectations. Nobody expects anything more than they try their best. It gives them something to fight for and gives them the confidence to play the way they want to. They're just having a ball on a roller coaster ride and it doesn't matter whether they fall off because they've already got further than anyone expected. It's just like Fenerbahce and Sevilla. We need more teams like those in Europe and Zenit are one of them.
good post!:rolleyes:
But it is not revelation for me...I think that Zenit more strong than Fenerbahce or Sevilla.Zenit has the good sponsor,good budget and good players.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts